XIM Community

how do you guys know all this stuff i don't understand  (Read 1567 times)

Offline AXE Coolossus

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: AXE Coolossus
While waiting on my xim3 I have been trying to educate myself on this system.  I think that I will be able to set up the xim3 when it arrives and make it work and through trial and error find the configuration that works best for me.  Beyond that, when reading some of these posts the technical jargon goes so far over my head that I have no clue what you're talking about.  I'm not a dummy--I have two doctoral degrees (both science related) but I am not a technical person.  So does everyone else just know what y'all are talking about and I'm the only one who doesn't or is there just a select few of you who do this kind of stuff for a living?  What's the best educational source to get myself up to speed here?  There was a thread on Xemulate-Xim3 and joysticks that had me thoroughly confused.  How do you learn how to use Xemulate and/or Ximcommander?  Is one easier than the other and do they basically do the same thing?  Thank you and sorry for being the noob!

Offline tuffrabit

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
Re: how do you guys know all this stuff i don't understand
« Reply #1 on: 09:32 AM - 04/17/12 »
Dude... most of the stuff people pick up they learn by just time spent with the device.

If there are specific questions of confusions you have, you should just list them and we can address them.

XIM4 Anti Aim-assist curve: http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=31309.msg400143#msg400143
All you ever wanted to know about headsets and chat for the 360: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=16461.0

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 09:40 AM - 04/17/12 »
I agree, just playing with the device is the best way to learn. No need to use XIMCommander or anything like that. What game are you playing first?
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Xog

• MVP
  • Yarr! Hand over yer goods, or yer dead!
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • Gamertag: Pirate Bandito
« Reply #3 on: 11:57 AM - 04/17/12 »
Once you have the XIM3 in your possession and you turn it on, everything will make sense. I was in the same spot. I had no idea what all the technical mumbo jumbo like smart translators or other configuration specific settings were. But just look at it once you have it, and in under 3 minutes you'll go, "Ohhhh."

It's actually very simple when you look at each thing individually. OBsIV and the team did an excellent job designing the display and setting configuration options. You'll understand in short order!

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:59 AM - 04/17/12 »
I remember back in my music days I bought an MPC2000 sampler. I sat down and read the whole 300 page badly translated manual and thought "@#$%?"

There's no way I could take any of it in without first having questions and experience. And that's what its all about. In order to learn you first need to have questions and in order to have questions you first need to have experience.

Offline AXE Coolossus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12:08 PM - 04/17/12 »
thank you.  that's encouraging.  i'm a bf3 player.  i'm a decent player as is but would like some better accuracy and would like to be able to use a flight stick for aircraft.  i can't fly jets for anything.  As I said, I understood the instructional videos and think I can make it work when it arrives--the advanced stuff will take some help.

Offline stetab

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: BO4TZ
« Reply #6 on: 12:44 PM - 04/17/12 »
Tbh we make most of it up just to confuse people

There are TONS of settings/options, but the good thing is you only have to set it up once if you mostly stick to the same game. It can be a bit confusing the very first time you do it, but after that its cake.

Offline AXE Coolossus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02:13 PM - 04/17/12 »
whenever i get on a new interest, project,, gadget, etc I can be really obsessive about researching the topic so forgive me if i am a bother.  i'm just really excited about the possibilities that xim3 offers.  i keep reading posts about script binding.  are most people using autohotkey or something else? 

you are right.  I don't play a lot of games but i play the same game alot.  i've been playing bf3 since opening day.  i'll probably stick with it until the next big fps comes out whatever that is (halo 4? maybe) so once i get my settings tweaked i can stick with them. 

Offline stetab

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: BO4TZ
« Reply #8 on: 02:37 PM - 04/17/12 »
Anyone using scripts is either using macros saved on their device if it supports them, or using something like autohotkey and running the xim3 through a pc with an easy transfer usb cable, or is using a xim2