XIM Community

Don's Settings for Capturing, Rendering, and Color Correcting in CoD  (Read 14119 times)

Offline Don

• MVP
  • Northern California
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Gamertag: Donskii HD
Hey guys, it's been a while!  I was checking in on the forums earlier today when I saw that I'd gotten a good number of PMs asking about my youtube settings.  So, I wrote up a quick walkthrough of my capture process. 

Here are some examples of my capture settings in action:

Black Ops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxLPmrZbWjw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko3ctQzcKGM

MW3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYLpUMnFRtE&t=1m30s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SxGwMDTYKM

Capturing:

I cap in 720p with a Black Magic Intensity Shuttle, and pull up Adobe Media Encoder at the end of every night to convert all of my files from AVI to mp4 (about 1/10 of the space).

Rendering:

All of my rendering is done using Sony Vegas Pro 11.  If you don't have Vegas Pro, these settings could be difficult to match. 

High-Quality MP4 (Sony Vegas):
   Codec: MainConcept AVC/AAC
   Video
         1280x720
         Main
         VBR:
               Max: 20,000,000
               Average: 14,000,000
               NO 2-pass
   Audio
         Sample Rate: 44,100
         Bit Rate: 128,000
   Project
         Video Rendering: Best
         Stereoscopic 3D: Use project settings

These are pretty typical rendering settings.  Used alone, these won't yield amazing results.  The "secret sauce" of my rendering process lies in video filters/color correction. 

Enhancing Color:

I first add the "sharpness" video filter, but with the sharpness value set at 0.  As strange as it sounds, this makes the video appear more crisp and defined. 

I then add a Color Corrector (Secondary) filter:

Color Corrector (Secondary) **Main changes are saturation and gamma

(Rotate Hue = 0)
    (Saturation = 1.500)
    (Gamma = 1.017 OR 1.107)
    (Gain = 1.000)
    (Offset = 0.0)
    (Alpha = 1.000)

Limit luminance
        Low: 0
        High: 255.0
        Smooth: 0.0

Limit Saturation (Checked)
        Low: 0
        High: 162.0
        Smooth: 0

Limit Hue
        Center: 180
        Width: 360
        Smooth: 0

I'm not sure how current these settings are, but they should yield some good results.

Unfortunately, I probably won't be around to answer many questions.  If you aren't familiar with Vegas, watch some tutorials on rendering and color correction.  Then replace any values they give you with mine :)

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: 02:22 PM - 04/18/12 by Don »
Proud owner of a XIM3

Youtube.com/d0nskiii     Xfire: Galvaniz3d     Xbox: Donskii HD, vIIv Don

My Setup:
Mionix Naos 5000     Razer Lycosa     24" ASUS 1080p 5ms     PureTrak Talent     Black Magic Intensity Shuttle     250GB Xbox 360 Slim

Intel i7 930     6GB 1600Mhz RAM     2x 2TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDDs in RAID0     128GB Crucial SATA III SD     2 ASUS EAH6850s (Crossfire)     EVGA x58 FTW3

Offline KnOck

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Kn0cK NorriS
you missed a shot..

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
thanks don, and thanks for the pm :)

turned out i pretty much used the same video enhancement effects but the wrong codec, which has a huge impact on the youtube quality

thanks a lot, the secret of your quality has been lifted now ;)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline Don

• MVP
  • Northern California
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Gamertag: Donskii HD
thanks don, and thanks for the pm :)

turned out i pretty much used the same video enhancement effects but the wrong codec, which has a huge impact on the youtube quality

thanks a lot, the secret of your quality has been lifted now ;)

No problem Od1n :)

The codec really does matter.  I remember trying out a Sony mp4 codec that just didn't work well on YT for some reason. 
Proud owner of a XIM3

Youtube.com/d0nskiii     Xfire: Galvaniz3d     Xbox: Donskii HD, vIIv Don

My Setup:
Mionix Naos 5000     Razer Lycosa     24" ASUS 1080p 5ms     PureTrak Talent     Black Magic Intensity Shuttle     250GB Xbox 360 Slim

Intel i7 930     6GB 1600Mhz RAM     2x 2TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDDs in RAID0     128GB Crucial SATA III SD     2 ASUS EAH6850s (Crossfire)     EVGA x58 FTW3

Offline Beezles

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
  • TeamEWIX co-leader/founder
    • View Profile
    • Beezles youtube channel
  • Gamertag: BEEZLES
  • PSN ID: BEEZLES
sweet don, the first blackops vid posted up there -> Hutch linked that vid and that's what started my journey to getting a xim3 :D
Logitech G13 w/ modded Thubstick (or PS Nav)  //  Logitech G500 Mouse
XIM3  //  24" Dynex HDTV
Audio Technica AD700 Headset Antlion Modmic  //  Turtle Beach DSS
Avermedia Broadcaster HD

BEEZLES YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!
LIVESTREAM:
[BEEZLES ON TWITCH!]

[TEAMXIM ON TWITCH!]

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
is the adobe media encoder a standalone (free) software?

i browsed for it a lot, but all i found was buying the whole CS 5 suite to get that small programm :S
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Offline Beezles

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
  • TeamEWIX co-leader/founder
    • View Profile
    • Beezles youtube channel
  • Gamertag: BEEZLES
  • PSN ID: BEEZLES
is the adobe media encoder a standalone (free) software?

i browsed for it a lot, but all i found was buying the whole CS 5 suite to get that small programm :S

not free that i know of, but if you can "obtain" a copy - you'll have it
Logitech G13 w/ modded Thubstick (or PS Nav)  //  Logitech G500 Mouse
XIM3  //  24" Dynex HDTV
Audio Technica AD700 Headset Antlion Modmic  //  Turtle Beach DSS
Avermedia Broadcaster HD

BEEZLES YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!
LIVESTREAM:
[BEEZLES ON TWITCH!]

[TEAMXIM ON TWITCH!]

Offline x DOS X EQUiS x

• View Profile
This needs to be STICKIED!
Formerly 3 MIX 2 WIN IT

XBOX 360 / PS3 /Wii / XIM3 / G500 / G9X / Avermedia Game Broadcaster HD / PC360 / DT 770 PRO / MIXAMP / G13 / 2 x Samsung 24" LCD

Offline Santigold

• MVP
    • View Profile
A screenshot of the rendering settings in Sony Vegas would be helpful, from what I know Vegas didnt support rendering in 59.9 Hz and h264 codec, you had to chose it manually.

Main reason why his Black Ops vids look better is that for a unknown reason- youtube rendered his videos with almost double bitrate it normally does (5000kbit average and 16.5 Mbit max bitrate). Normally it makes 720p videos with ~ 2800kbit/second bitrate and 5Mbit max rate. Mabye at that time youtube defaulted at higher bitrate idk.

You can download the vids with "Flash Downloader - Youtubue Downloader" plugin for firefox and check bitrate with MediaInfo just FYI.

Dons MW3 videos have 2,9 Mbit/sec bitrate and dont look as good as black ops ones. So it was rather luck and some sort of a bug that youtube gave the video 5 Mbit average bitrate, it normaly gives 1080p videos 5.5 Mbit bitrate and only 3 Mbit to 720p videos.

Basically what people do is increase "Saturation" and "sharpness" for a better result. Just experiment with them.
« Last Edit: 01:20 PM - 04/13/12 by Santigold »

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
my guess is that it also has to do with being youtube partner or not
if you check the big channels, eg i refer to rooster teeth, youll see that they are able to upload in a bit ratio that allows them to look just like the original file, even better than donskiis settings

Offline KnOck

• MVP
    • View Profile
my guess is that it also has to do with being youtube partner or not
if you check the big channels, eg i refer to rooster teeth, youll see that they are able to upload in a bit ratio that allows them to look just like the original file, even better than donskiis settings
dont think partners/ big channels have a advantage on quality its just who  have good equipment..
only diffrence seem to be big/longer files..
my yt account is a old one from 2006 and i have uploaded 4 hour long videos im not partner
dont know how it is with new channels now but yt had a limit
« Last Edit: 10:14 PM - 04/13/12 by KnOck »

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
yes it does make a HUGE difference
i accepted youtube partnership yesterday, and uploaded a file with exactly the same recording specs & render specs to youtube
the videos coudnt be more different, the first one was uploaded without partnership, the second with partnership
when being a partner, you have a lot more customization in your upload, you see more features and stuff

and i need to say that i enhanced my render settings since that day i rendered those two videos quite a lot, if id render the videos with my new settings again it would look even better on youtube

here the example

1) without partnership, same rendersettings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2yzqg8yCQ0

2) with partnership, same rendersettings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzVTn1PmyG0

best comparison is the clearance of the crosshair or the clearance of the gamechat on the left
none of the two videos was color corrected or sharpened, also bad render settings
there is still much air for quality improvement id say

(i also tested this with some private uploads and yes the quality gap is there as well, it wasnt just a lucky upload)

Offline KnOck

• MVP
    • View Profile
13 subs and partner? 100% yt is gonna make it a pay site soon..
but subbed keep going.
the limit i knew of was the 15 min upload limit and could care less for partnership i dont post gaming vids so no need for subwhoring:P

Offline stetab

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: BO4TZ
Subs/views doesn't matter for that. Its just the ads crap, they won't be losing any money if you don't get a lot of views. Nice perks though i didn't know about the extra options and bid quality.

I'm not eligible since I applied for the ad crap forever ago for no reason at all and was denied haha
« Last Edit: 09:42 PM - 04/14/12 by stetab »

Offline KnOck

• MVP
    • View Profile
Subs/views doesn't matter for that. Its just the ads crap, they won't be losing any money if you don't get a lot of views. Nice perks though i didn't know about the extra options and bid quality.
subs was the only thing that got you partnership only 6 months ago but i agree 100% on the ad thing... yt is going to cash out on the users real soon tho(paying for partnership ect) its not stopping with ads.. if you notice the changes over the last year its getting more about the big channels small/unwanted channels even with big viewcounts gets pushed down the lists.. they are making it into internet tv
« Last Edit: 10:28 PM - 04/14/12 by KnOck »