XIM Community

Buying TV need advice  (Read 1776 times)

Offline BrewskieBob

• View Profile
Buying TV need advice
« on: 03:54 AM - 02/18/12 »
Upgrading to HD, whats best brand to go with playing bf3 on ps3, i wanna avoid as much input lag as possible. I got my eyes on a sony bravia series 24 in. Advice?

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Buying TV need advice
« Reply #1 on: 05:12 AM - 02/18/12 »
wow avoiding input lag on tv is quite pricy, the few ones i know of are in the 2500-4000$ range

id do the following
cut 200$ away from your budget and buy whatever tv you like to have
with the remaining money you buy a gaming monitor :)
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline BrewskieBob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:51 AM - 02/18/12 »
ahh yes a guy told me i would be better off buying a monitor since they have hardly any lag at all and are ideal for gaming in HD, since i quit watching tv 10 years ago....i have no problem with this lol. Can u reccomend a good monitor in the 300$ range?

Offline diggitybiggity

• Ron Paul 2012!
    • View Profile
    • DiggityBiggity's Blog
  • Gamertag: itsBUTTERCUP
« Reply #3 on: 08:15 AM - 02/18/12 »
... Can u reccomend a good monitor in the 300$ range?

I highly suggest going to NewEgg & CNet, browsing by price, and then by review. It's probably the quickest way to finding the best bang for your $$$
XIM3; Logitech G9x 5700 D.P.I.; Razer (Belkin) Nostromo; Genuine Microsoft Wired Black Controller; O.G. Xbox 360 w/ O.G. HD; Logitech F540 Wireless Stereo Headset; 27" Hannspree HDMI Monitor; Running XimCommander with Belkin Easy Transfer Cable;

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:00 PM - 02/18/12 »
just type "monitor" in the search bar, some guy made a topic with a list of monitors with very low input lag

but basically you can go with any monitor that was made for gaming
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07:11 PM - 02/18/12 »
This is a popular gaming monitor, you can't go wrong.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Offline Seawolf

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: S3AWO1F
  • PSN ID: LED-SEAWOLF
« Reply #6 on: 05:52 AM - 04/15/12 »
I know this is an older thread, but let me add from my experiences recently.

I recently decided to move my PS3 into my gaming room (PC room) since I primarily spend most of my time on PC. I wanted to run my PS3 to play with friends from work on the same monitor as my PC to make it easy to go back and forth and since my Wife hogs the nice 60" in the living room and I can't stand controllers for shooters (mouse and keyboard guy) I started looking for a monitor to run both on.

All that said here is what I found. Computer LCD displays while better than your average LCD TV do not have TV tuners or a Scaler built in. Unlike the Xbox360, which does have a built in hardware scaler, the PS3 does not have the ability to scale a 720P game up to 1080I or 1080P resolution.
Because a PC monitor (LCD) runs at a native 1920x1080 resolution and 16:9 you get a 720P picture stretched out to fill a 1080P screen. This makes games on the PS3 in 720P like BF3 looked fuzzy, blurred, and pixelated not to mention the aliasing effect on edges is horrible.

What you have to do if you want the PS3 games that run in 720p to look halfway decent (which compared to the native 1080P res on PCs is a huge step down) is get a PC monitor that has a built in scaler or look for a LCD TV with a 5ms response time or lower that has PC connections.

After finding out the hard way that the PS3 will not convert to 1080P like the Xbox I ended up going back and getting a 27" HDTV with DVI and HDMI hookups. I would have gone with a 32", but sitting as close as I do 32" was too much. 27" seems to be perfect when sitting a couple feet back.

I'm used to playing BF3 on the PC at high res so there is no way the dumbed down graphics of the PS3 version will ever look as good no matter what you do, but at least the screen I have now will scale on it's own so everything does not look washed out.

When people say their PS3 games look horrible on their computer monitor 9 times out of 10 this is the reason. Make sure the screen you are using has a scaler built in to run any resolution not just 1080p.
« Last Edit: 05:56 AM - 04/15/12 by Seawolf »

Offline panskuli

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: panskuli7ST
« Reply #7 on: 10:19 AM - 04/17/12 »
try to find this monitor model :D viewsonic VX2753mh  1 ms GTG 30m:1 dynamic contrast and 1200:1 native. I know is tn panel but... one fastest reponsive time monitor i 've found... with prety cheap price. I quess u can get it less than 350 bucks.

Offline dmxdex

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06:18 PM - 04/22/12 »
Its not 1ms it would be about 8ms but anything under 16ms and your good to go. You will end up with a tn panel if your looking for low response times, pva panels and such have better colours but higher response time.

Offline DJpowwow

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: pwnlowski
  • PSN ID: lt1mike83
« Reply #9 on: 05:31 PM - 04/23/12 »

When people say their PS3 games look horrible on their computer monitor 9 times out of 10 this is the reason. Make sure the screen you are using has a scaler built in to run any resolution not just 1080p.

Is this why MW3 looks terrible on my LED monitor?  I played this same game on PC, and yes I understand PC has better graphics.  But it almost looks blury.  Is this because the game is scaled for large displays?

If so any MW3 players here have a suggestion as to what I can set it to? I tried searching the forum and didn't see any relevant threads.

Thanks in advance.

Offline THE-MARAVINGY

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: ApocalypticWesal
« Reply #10 on: 01:16 PM - 04/29/12 »
I play on a Samsung 42" LED which is only 15mths old.
When BF3 came out and MW3 both games played fine although the colours seemed off slightly, and it wasn't till my son came round and said whatever is going on with your TV dad.
Look at this dad you've got it all set up wrong, he goes into the settings menu for the TV selects the hdmi port for where the ps3 is connected and switches on Game mode.
And now the colours and graphics are way clearer and crisper.
The ps3 does have an upscaler and smoother built in in xmb settings menu it has to activated although I think its just for movies and not games.