XIM Community

Two more PS3 adapters confirmed working with XIM  (Read 5676 times)

Offline myersn024

• View Profile
Two more PS3 adapters confirmed working with XIM
« on: 12:51 PM - 02/19/08 »
As some of you have probably read, I have the XFPS for the PS3. I got my toolstick today right before I left for lunch, and during my lunch break I soldered everything together, flashed the firmware, and gave it a try. The XIM works well with the PS3's XFPS. It was updating between 30 and 32 times a second, and I tried it out in COD4. I definitely need to spend some time and get my COD4 config file tweaked, but it definitely works.

Then, I decided to give my Yobo adapter a try. After reading on here and seeing that there are only two adapters that are confirmed to work, I wasn't hopeful. The ones that work thus far (the I-con and the venom) all have the controller # leds as well as a built-in PS3 button. My Yobo had none of those, but that didn't stop me from trying it out. To my utter surprise, after figuring out which button was mapped to the select button, it worked. It was updating about 62 times a second. Just to be sure that it wasn't some kind of fluke, I turned the PS3 off disconnected everything and gave it another go. It worked again. Unlike the XFPS, which automatically gets a controller number when you connect it, you have to register the XIM through the Yobo using the UP+Select shortcut key. I've attached some pictures of the Yobo adapter so that everyone can see what it looks like. The pictures are crappy, and I can take some more with a better camera if anyone wants me to.

Offline azeledge

• View Profile
Re: Two more PS3 adapters confirmed working with XIM
« Reply #1 on: 01:02 PM - 02/19/08 »
cool thanks for the info.
- AzelEdge -
"No matter where you go there you are"

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01:23 PM - 02/19/08 »
Definitely get some better pictures. The more we can document the better chance we'll have to a permanent solution.

Also please report back once you've had some time to play on it how responsive it is and how accurate you can aim (for both setups). Would be neat to see how the XFPS setup compares to the Yobo setup in performance.

Last, where did you get that adapter? I don't think we all need to get name brand specific, but it would be great if we could find places with readily available adapters so other people who come looking for a PS3 XIM can do so.

Offline cameltoe

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: xsmoothupinyax
« Reply #3 on: 01:28 PM - 02/19/08 »
i have the XFPS for the 360 and the icon adapter for the PS3...the PS3 with the icon adapter is much more responsive...not just in movement but in all aspects. Like I usually need to push the reload button (r) a few times on the 360 to get it to register (sometimes in doing so I drop my weapon and pick up another!) no such issues on the PS3.

Offline myersn024

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02:00 PM - 02/19/08 »
i'll take some better pictures when I get home this afternoon. I purchased the adapter from a game store in Paris, TX called CGX. I had to call all over eastern Texas to find anywhere that had one. I spent more for it at the time than I thought I should have, but since it works with the XIM I'm not complaining. I'll play around with both setups tonight and see if I notice any major differences. theres should be noticably less lag with the yobo since it updates twice as often.

Offline cameltoe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02:12 PM - 02/19/08 »
I have a cheap radio shack adapter at home...ill give it a try for @#$% and giggles!

Offline myersn024

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02:36 PM - 02/19/08 »
Never hurts to try. Let us know what you find out.

Offline myersn024

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07:27 PM - 02/19/08 »
***Update time***

After playing for a few hours, all I've got to say is WOW! The XIM + Yobo adapter (60 updates a second) is a force to be reckoned with. I thought that the Smartjoy Frag that I'd been using was working well, but it fails in comparison to the XIM. I played four online games and I freakin' owned everybody. That's the first time that I've been the high scorer in more than one game in a row. I haven't tried it with the XFPS, but I'm sure that it won't work as well as it does with the Yobo adapter since that combo only gets around 30 updates per second.

I also took some better pictures of the Yobo adapter. They're hi-res photos, so dial-up users beware. Once my wife gets done watching The Biggest Loser I'll play some with the XFPS and see how it fares against the Yobo.
http://www.austinbull.com/yobo/yobo1.jpg
http://www.austinbull.com/yobo/yobo2.jpg
http://www.austinbull.com/yobo/yobo3.jpg
http://www.austinbull.com/yobo/yobo4.jpg

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08:22 PM - 02/19/08 »
Awesome stuff. My XIM arrived, but I'm still adapterless so I'm sitting here tortured by the fact that I have 50% of a dream setup sitting here.

Do you still have the instruction manual for this adapter? Have you seen anymore online? I'm hoping maybe there would be some contact info in the instruction book to track down a supply of these.

Also, does the place you bought it from have a website?

Thanks for the updates.
« Last Edit: 08:36 PM - 02/19/08 by Juncti »

Offline myersn024

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09:10 PM - 02/19/08 »
There wasn't anything inside the package with the adapter; no instruction manual, no nothing. If I hadn't read on the net that UP+Select was used to register non-PS3 controllers, I would have thought it was broken. The place that I bought it from doesn't have a website, but they do have an ebay store that has numbers to each of their four branches. I called everyone aside from the one in Frisco, TX before finding the one that I found. Since I found out earlier today that it worked with the XIM, I looked around to see if I could find some more but I didn't have any luck. Yobo has a website, but it doesn't show any PS3 accessories at all.

Trust me, if your adapter works, you'll be in love with the XIM. I was a little skeptical before getting everything working. I thought that the Smartjoy was working like a charm, and I guess it probably was doing the best that it could. However, the difference is astounding. The hardest part of getting everything working was correlating the Xbox buttons to the PS3 buttons. I got a project enclosure from Radio Shack and got the XIM inside and taped down so I could quit worrying about messing it up. The next thing that I'm getting is a good gaming mouse. Anyway, here's the link to CGX's ebay store http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=cgxgames

Offline cameltoe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07:08 AM - 02/20/08 »
UP+select? You mean up+backspace?

Offline myersn024

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07:51 AM - 02/20/08 »
Through XIM it is UP+Backspace, but Backspace is mapped to the Playstation controllers Select button. I guess I should have been a little more clear in what I was doing. When I get ready to use the XIM, I turn the PS3 on without any controllers connected to it. I connect the XIM to the computer, and plug it into the adapter. Then I plug the adapter into the PS3 and launch the XIM.exe program. Then, I hit UP+Backspace on the keyboard to register the XIM. Works everytime.

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12:04 PM - 02/20/08 »
Attention, anyone needing a PS3 adapter. Act fast!

Thanks to the info from myersn024, I tracked down the adapter from the people who made it.

http://www.yobogroup.com/main/ps3/

Once I had the formal name, I googled it and came up with this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-3-PS1-PS2-Controller-Converter-NEW_W0QQitemZ350021529273QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

At this moment, they have 3 left, so 3 more lucky people can hurry up and get a working adapter to XIM their PS3.

You're welcome! lol

Also, if the other 2 adapters I ordered also work, I'll likely put them up for sale to anyone who needs them.

This quest has been expensive. All told I'm like $200 in on trying to get this going.
« Last Edit: 12:09 PM - 02/20/08 by Juncti »

Offline myersn024

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01:46 PM - 02/20/08 »
Wow, Juncti! I can't believe you found them. I've looked all over and couldn't find any, but then again I was searching using generic terms instead of the actual name..... I guess if I had kept the packaging, or paid a little more attention, I could have been a more help.

Regardless, good job!

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03:01 PM - 02/21/08 »
Attention, anyone needing a PS3 adapter. Act fast!

Thanks to the info from myersn024, I tracked down the adapter from the people who made it.

http://www.yobogroup.com/main/ps3/

Once I had the formal name, I googled it and came up with this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-3-PS1-PS2-Controller-Converter-NEW_W0QQitemZ350021529273QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

At this moment, they have 3 left, so 3 more lucky people can hurry up and get a working adapter to XIM their PS3.

You're welcome! lol

Also, if the other 2 adapters I ordered also work, I'll likely put them up for sale to anyone who needs them.

This quest has been expensive. All told I'm like $200 in on trying to get this going.

I tip my hat to you on that. I know investing tons of $ is a pain but sometimes when you NEED something, it don't matter. I recently (and still am) active in a battle with hardware development for 360 surround sound system that uses a subwoofer, but no speakers. I have dumped a sizable amount of my income that is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy in into several thousand (in the high teens I can't even think about it anymore) and after working with reps from MS to try to integrate into an upcoming release for Vista, the whole project got scrapped and I am left in the dust with too much money spent and jack @#$%@#$% to show for it.

My point is, that for me (please don't take this as me bragging, or putting myself on another level or anything like that) money isn't the problem, it's always been the MEANS and the ability to make something happen which does not exist (story of my life). So the quest to find something is always on my mind, and spending along the way to find it sometimes is the only option.

It's like I'll test out parts and what not, i'll buy a few different things like recently I bought 2 8800gtxs, and 2 8800gts and I benchmarked them, I decided to go with the GT's as they performed very close to the 8800gtx, so I said OK. But I had to order them from new egg and pay shipping and all that crap, but it was worth it and I would do it again.

If XIM 2 is one of these crazy quests, so be it this is a REVOLUTION that obsiv has created and I am fully vested in his idea, and I believe what he is doing is VERY important to the gaming community.

With that I tip my hat to those who pursue what they want and not worrying about the risks involved. XIM was a risk for Obsiv i am sure and it turned out great!

That's my rant and im done.

;D :D ;) ;D :D ;) ;D :D ;) ;D ;) :D
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Admin