XIM Community

Building your own Xbox 360 Input Machine (XIM 1)  (Read 36930 times)

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Building your own Xbox 360 Input Machine (XIM 1)
« on: 01:31 AM - 01/17/08 »
Attention!
This tutorial recommends that you use an XFPS adapter. At the time this was the only available option. XFPS is now an inferior adapter compared to alternatives. You will have better results with a GTMax adapter. Replace part 4) XFPS 360 with GTMax in this guide. You can pick one up here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042SB2I0/
---

Blog
September 28
Building your own Xbox 360 Input Machine (XIM)

The XIM community is growing fast! Take advantage of the communityís experience in building XIMs by getting support from our new forum.

Last month, I published a write up with a demonstration video documenting a side project Iíve been working on: Xbox 360 Gaming with a Wiimote. What was intended as something friends could look at to see what Iíve been working on turned into something much larger than I anticipated. The reaction from the community was phenomenal. I never expected the kind of attention that it received (Engadget , Joystiq, Gizmodo, etc). Not to mention the level of traffic on my blog and views of the video. Iíd like to personally thank all those that took time to check out my work Ė especially those who left comments of encouragement and praise.

With the level of interest XIM generated, of course, I expected people to be interested in trying it out for themselves. Iíve gotten many requests to share the technology. So I spent a lot of time thinking about the best way to do just that (given the limited amount of time I had to invest). Even though some soldering skills are required, I didn't want to require people to know how to program to use it. Yet, for those programmers out there, I wanted to make sure they had access to the low-level XIM services so they could adapt other input devices to the Xbox 360 themselves: flight sticks, musical instruments, VR gloves, SplitFish, trackballs, controllers from other consoles, etc.

Since my introduction of XIM, Iíve continued to evolve the Wiimote profile (such as adding support for melee in Halo by swinging the Wiimote like a club Ė very satisfying :). I also recently added mouse and keyboard (MK) support too. Whatís great about MK is itís really easy to configure. Unfortunately, with the Wiimote profile, expressing anything more than the most simple gesture in a high-level manner (i.e. a simple configure file) is difficult without knowing how to program.

For these reasons, I decided to stick with only exposing MK support at this time which includes my configuration application to make customization easy:

Screen shot of the XIM Mouse and Keyboard Profile application showing current button and stick translation status

What Iím providing:

1) Major parts list
2) Assembly instructions
3) Microcontroller firmware (binary form only)
4) XIM Profile and Configuration application (MK support only)
5) XIM SDK

Cost: Free!

Special Thanks

The information Iím providing wouldnít be of much use unless I had validation that XIM could be reproduced by someone else. Iíd like to thank Egyokeo (a fellow modder) for not only verifying my steps and software work on a variety of system configurations, but, also providing valuable feedback in the form of bugs and suggestions of every part of XIM. You can check out his skills and his excellent use for XIM: Play Guitar Hero 2 on the Drums. (Yes, you read the right Ė itís called MidiHero :)

Egyokeoís XIM Implementation

Building Prerequisites

As you may have gathered thus far, XIM is a very powerful and flexible system that can really change the way you game on your Xbox 360. If you havenít done so already, please look over my previous blog entry to get an idea of what it took to build XIM. I took care of the hardest parts (such as the microcontroller firmware and the PC software), and, as I mentioned before, I'll will provide this to you for free. But, there is still a cost. Besides having a PC close to your Xbox, you will need an XCM XFPS (see Parts List). You will also need to know how to do some moderately-precise soldering and know how to use a multi-meter.

If cost isn't a factor and you feel you have the technical skills to assemble the parts, then, itís time to get into the details of what youíll need. But, before I start, there are a few things concerning XIM's usage I want to cover.

Terms of Use and Disclaimer

XIM is being provided to you free of charge. You may use these instructions and software/firmware to build your own XIM for your own personal Xbox 360 gaming use. You may absolutely not sell XIM as part of any commercial product. XIM must remain free. You may not redistribute any part of XIM. All distribution of XIM (official assembly instructions, parts list, software, and firmware) can only come from me.

In addition, I make no guarantee about the performance of the XIM hardware/software/firmware or the accuracy of the assembly instructions. I am also not responsible for any injury (or worse) that you may incur when building your XIM. Please donít expect a considerable amount of support from me.

You taking action in building XIM means you understand and agree with the terms of use and disclaimer I just covered.

Downloading the XIM Software/Firmware Package

You can acquire the XIM software and firmware from the XIM Community Forum. The XIM package is found in the Download section and it contains all the software and firmware that you will need. It also contains the SDK which consists of a DLL, C header file, and C import library so that you can create your own systems for adapting just about type of input device to your Xbox 360.

Assembly Diagram

The XIM system is assembled with the following major components (details in the following Parts List section).

PC Ė Silicon Labs ToolStick Ė PS2 Cable Ė XFPS 360 PRO Ė Xbox 360

Parts List

1) A PC running Windows Vista or XP

To date, verification has been made on PCs running Vista and XP Home and Professional (SP1 and SP2). You will need one free USB port.

2) Silicon Labs ToolStick Starter Kit
http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcontrollers/en/USBToolStick.htm (information)
http://www.mouser.com/3plcart/cart.cfm?sid=63410000&pn=TOOLSTICKSK&pd=ToolStick%20Starter%20Kit (purchase)
The XIM firmware runs on top of a Silicon Labs 8051 microcontroller. I was new to Silicon Labs when I began XIM, but, quickly became a fan thanks to the quality of their hardware and development environment. They are excellent.

The ToolStick Starter Kit (model number is TOOLSTICKSK) includes the ToolStick Base Adapter, a ToolStick C8051F330 Daughter Card and a nice retractable USB cable.

3) PS2 Extension Cable

You will be cutting this cable and soldering the wires on to the F360 daughter card. This is then plugged into the XFPS 360.

4) XCM XFPS 360 Pro
http://www.xcm.cc/XFPS_360_PRO.htm
If you read my last blog post about XIM, I covered the importance of the XFPS and its ability to circumvent the 360ís peripheral security. Where the XFPS is a terrible mouse and keyboard adapter, it is a very good PS2 controller adapter. This is why XIM uses the PS2 connection. Unfortunately, this product is way overpriced for what you get. I wish I didnít have to be giving people a reason to buy this device, but, it has a very necessary feature that you canít get from anywhere else.

NOTE: XIM works on both the standard (Black) and ďProĒ (White) version of the XFPS.

5) Wired Xbox 360 Controller

The XFPS requires this.

6) Project Enclosure Box (optional)
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=CU-743virtualkey56310000virtualkey563-CU743
Although optional, a nice project box will protect your XIM hardware from dust or other unfortunate circumstances as the ToolStick boards are pretty fragile. It is best to mount the ToolStick in the box using double-sided foam tape (a piece under the USB connector, and one under the base/daughter-card connector).

Assembly Step 1: Soldering PS Connector to the Hardware

The first step to building your own XIM is to connect your PS2 cable to the ToolStick F360 board. The F360 board has a series of connection points in the form of a grid. There are three columns (0, 1, and 2). Every column has 8 connectors (pins). Ground (GND) is separate.

The PS2 cable must be cut and 6 of its wires connected to the board. The following picture shows which PS2 cable wire/pin goes to what point on the F360 board.

Make sure to double check that your cableís pin-wire color matches up

NOTE: You can see I color coded the diagram to correspond to the actual color of the wires. For example, the yellow wire would connect to pin 1.4 on the F360 board. I also mention this is pin 6 on the PS2 connector. This is important since there is no guarantee that the extension cable you bought (likely from a 3rd party manufacturer) will match the wire color to PS2 connector pin listed: 1 = Brown, 2 = Orange, 4 = Black, 6 = Yellow, 7 = Blue, and 9 = Green. To be absolutely sure that, for example, pin 6 is the yellow wire, you need to use a multi-meter to measure the resistance between these two points. If you read ~0 ohms, then, you know it matches up.

Once you have the connector soldered on, itíll look something like this:

PS2 connector soldered on to the ToolStick (compliments of Egyokeo)

Assembly Step 2: Flashing the Hardware

The second (and last) step to the XIM hardware is flashing (downloading) the XIM firmware onto the ToolStick. In order to do this, you will need to download Silicon Labís flash utility:

Link to the Flash Utility page: http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcontrollers/en/mcu_winflashutilitiy.htm
Click on: Flash Programming Utility under Download Now

After you install the tool (assuming you installed to the default location), follow these steps:

1 ) Plug your ToolStick into your PCís USB port
2 ) Go to: C:\SiLabs\MCU\Utilities\FLASH Programming\Static Programmers\Windows Console
3 ) Run: FlashUtil.exe
4 ) Under the Connect/Disconnect tab:
    a) Make sure the Debug Interface is set to C2
    b) Make sure the Debug Adapter says it is USB Debug Adapter and the Adapter Selection has a serial number in it
    c) Click the Connect button (you should see a yellow and red LED light up on your ToolStick base adapter)
5 ) Go to the Download Hex File/Go/Stop tab:
    a) Under Download filename, click Browse and select XIMfirmware330.hex from where you extracted your XIM package
    b) Click the Download button
6 ) Go back to the Connect/Disconnect tab:
    a) Click the Disconnect button (you should the yellow and red LED lights turn off)
7 ) Close the Flash Utility
8 ) Unplug the ToolStick and plug it back in

XIM Hardware is Ready

At this point, your XIM hardware is ready. You should be able to plug one end of the hardware into your XFPS (via the PS2 connector, of course), and the other end into your PC. Run XIM.exe and try to navigating around the Xbox 360ís dash board by using your PC keyboardís arrow keys. If you see the blades fly around as youíd expect, you are ready to go!

One other thing to note is that the tool should constantly display around 29 updates-per-second. This is important to ensure best gaming experience. If itís running below that, make sure there isnít something else going on with your PC (such as background processes taking over the CPU).

Now that the hardware is ready, itís time to learn more about how you can configure XIMís mouse and keyboard profile to best suit your gaming style.

Introducing the XIM Mouse and Keyboard Profile

The goal of the XIM MK profile is to provide Xbox 360 with the closest experience to mouse and keyboard gaming on a PC. Turns out that interfacing a mouse to an Xbox 360 game (especially shooters) is difficult to do well. Simple translations really show how bad it can be (such as what you get when using the XFPS's mouse and keyboard feature -- ouch). A shooter (like Halo 3) requires precision that you normally donít get from playing with a low-precision device (i.e. the standard 360 controllerís thumbstick). That is why a generous amount of aim-assist features (in the form of auto-aim and acceleration curves) are included in the game to compensate for this deficiency. But, when it comes to a high-precision device like a mouse, these aim-assist features severely degrade the experience. This is why a simple mouse-to-stick translation isnít enough. Something more complex needs to be in place to counteract these aides.

The MK profile supports many points of customizability (ďknobsĒ) via a configuration file. Pressing CTRL-ENTER brings up the current configuration so that you can adjust the knobs. The default configuration file that ships with XIM is designed for FPS games (specifically, Halo 3) that use a 1600dpi mouse (such as the Logitech MX518). Itís easy to quickly try different adjustments Ė and you likely will). The default is based on how I play. For example, I have the ďsmoothnessĒ knob turned off for Halo 3 so my reticule is very reactive. You may choose you want to have it feel ďheavierĒ. Simply modify file and close it. XIM will reload your new values. Check out the log display to make sure you didnít make any mistakes while editing the configuration file.

As mentioned, the MK profile supports many knobs of adjustment. In addition to standard buttons assignments (i.e. A = KeySpace), the controller stick mapping has many options to best map mouse moves to stick movement. For example:

DeadZone: All games have a threshold where stick movement isnít registered until it reaches a certain point. This value makes it so that the smallest mouse change will result in on-screen movement. (More on this later.)
DeadZone Type: The shape of the dead zone (Circular or Square). (More on this later.)
YXRatio: The ratio between Y and X movement for games that donít have independent adjustable X/Y sensitivity. For example, 2.0 means Y movement should be twice as much as the equivalent X movement.
TranslationExponent:  When converting mouse movement to stick, this value allows you to do more than just a simple linear conversion. An exponential translation helps alleviate some of the acceleration that is there for controllers.
SensitivityPrimary: Movement sensitivity multiplier. This combined with the YXRatio provides any combination of X/Y sensitivity.
SensitivitySecondary: A second sensitivity value (typically higher than the primary). When activated, can be used for less-sensitive, non-aiming actions (such as driving vehicles).
SensitivityToggle: The button to use to activate the secondary sensitivity.
Smoothness: Smoothes out sudden movement by moving to the next translation position over time. The more smoothness results in a less jerky, but ďheavierĒ moving reticule.
SmoothnessCutoff: Smoothness adjusts positioning over time. The cutoff value stops smoothing when it reaches this threshold.

Please make sure to configure your game for highest movement sensitivity. For example, in Halo 3, youíd change your look sensitivity setting to Insane.

A Word About Dead Zone

Dead zone is something that most gamers don't realize exists, but, is a very important part gaming when using a controller. A dead zone is the area of stick positioning that doesn't register as actual movement within the game. Without it, the reticule would constantly drift as thumbsticks generally never settle to a rest position (and where they do stop is typically different every time). Resting your thumb on the stick also constantly moves it slightly off center.

Where dead zone is necessary for thumbsticks, it is terrible for mice. Mice don't have the same rest-position problems as thumbsticks and the slightest movement is tracked by a mouse. At a minimum, a constant value needs to be added to any mouse movement that occurs to compensate for the dead zone. Otherwise, small movements wouldn't register and your movement will constantly "stall" if you aren't moving the mouse fast enough. Mouse and keyboard adapter devices like the SmartJoy FRAG (SJF) have this dead zone setting, whereas, the XFPS's mouse and keyboard feature does not. The XIM MK profile, of course, has this dead zone setting as well. But, it goes beyond this with allowing you to customize the shape of the dead zone too.

Most people that talk about dead zone never talk about its shape, but, it turns out that this is something that has a big impact on mouse translation quality. The XIM MK Profile has a dead zone "discovery" mode that you can use to not only determine the size of the dead zone, but, also learn more about its shape. It does this by moving the stick by the current dead zone value horizontally, then vertically, then finally diagonally. If do this on Halo 3, you'll see that, at a dead zone of 35, the reticule moves in all 3 directions. Then, if you reduce to 34, movement stops in all directions. This means that Halo 3 has a square dead zone of 34. (If it were circular, then, movement wouldn't occur in the horizontal and vertical directions, but, would still occur in the diagonal direction.) This actually surprised me since that means you need to move the stick further to get your reticule to move diagonally. Again, most people don't realize this since thumbsticks are so imprecise. In Halo 3, it appears that diagonal movement is actually more sensitive than the other directions. This may have to do with the fact that you have to move the stick further diagonally to cause the reticule to move. When you are talking about a mouse (where you want the smallest of mouse movement to cause your reticule to move), it feels less controllable when dragging diagonally because of this.

The XIM MK profile allows you to specify whether you want your dead zone to be circular or square. I've found, in general, that mouse translation is better when you are working against a circular dead zone. But, how will this work with a game like Halo 3 where the dead zone is square? Turns out that a circular dead zone works nicely when it's grafted on top of the gameís square dead zone. Horizontal and vertical movements wind up being slightly beyond the dead zone area, whereas diagonal movement is slightly within. So, for Halo 3, a circular dead zone with a radius of 42 feels just right.

XIM MK Profile Performance

Iíve been playing Halo 2 and now Halo 3 for awhile now with XIMís mouse and keyboard support and have been thrilled with its performance. I love being able to game on Xbox Live playing Halo 3 on my big HDTV, on my couch with the mouse and keyboard of my choice. Any mouse and keyboard will work. I use a Logitech MX518 1600dpi mouse and a Thermaltake Flare gaming keyboard:

Picture of my living-room mouse and keyboard gaming lap-board ďrigĒ that connects to my XIM

Continued..
« Last Edit: 01:07 PM - 06/23/11 by mist4fun »
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Administrator

Re: Building your own Xbox 360 Input Machine (XIM)
« Reply #1 on: 10:58 PM - 02/07/08 »

The question you are probably asking is how well it actually works. Iím happy to report that it works incredibly well. Is it as good as gaming on a PC? Iíd have to say its close. Itís subtle, but, you can still slightly feel that built-in controller auto-aim and acceleration Iíve talked about. The XIM MK profile does a lot to minimize these effects thanks to all the advanced settings you can tweak. As a result, the reticule still feels really solid. But, I can guarantee that it is, by far, better than any other Xbox 360 mouse and keyboard adaptor available.

Unlike Halo 2, Iíve found Halo 3 doesnít need any smoothness compensation at all. The look mechanics of Halo 3 have definitely changed (for the better). I feel that Iíve found the sweet spot of the XIM MK Halo 3 configuration with the combination of dead zone (with shape), exponential translation factor, and sensitivity Iíve chosen (plus all the other knobs). I canít believe how responsive it is. It may be possible to perfect it even more, but, Iím ready to start putting in some serious quality Halo 3-time. :)

So, after all the time and energy I put into XIM, was it all worth it? Absolutely!

END TUTORIAL
« Last Edit: 12:17 PM - 06/23/11 by mist4fun »

Offline jeremyjames

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03:47 PM - 02/08/08 »
Is there a time frame for the release of the new version?

-Jeremy

Offline Sick_Tight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:50 PM - 02/08/08 »
As of right now they are working out cost and construction of the XIM II so it's user friendly like the first one. 
ŅDo You iPwn??
Ohh? Cause I Do!!!

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:46 PM - 02/08/08 »
as ID software always says "When it's done"
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Sick_Tight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:54 PM - 02/08/08 »
as ID software always says "When it's done"

Or Simple put that way too nick!  :D
ŅDo You iPwn??
Ohh? Cause I Do!!!

Offline penn2098

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02:23 AM - 06/13/08 »
soooo  when might xim 2 be available? im new here cut me some slack

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:12 AM - 06/13/08 »
Testing is still in beta phase, which I am testing out the unit along with the rest of the Xim 2 team. Once testing is done, then an announcement should follow shortly after that with a timeframe for release schedule. There will be so far a DIY version, and a pre built version. All of the details are still being worked out, but an announcement will be made to go over all of the details concerning this.

Welcome!

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

Offline jvanis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06:30 AM - 06/13/08 »
Just curious about this, but for the pre-built setup, do the people doing this do something like a core charge for the controller for those of us who have a controller already, but may not wish to take the risk of the DIY kit.  One way to help cut down additional capital. 

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10:47 AM - 06/13/08 »
Just curious about this, but for the pre-built setup, do the people doing this do something like a core charge for the controller for those of us who have a controller already, but may not wish to take the risk of the DIY kit.  One way to help cut down additional capital. 

Interesting. I'll let someone else tackle this. However let me offer a theory - which I cannot confirm as true or false at this time. If the pre built model has a new controller on it, and then you return yours which is used - it would sound like to me you would owe money for the difference in market value of used vs new. Interesting concept, but I am sure it's just easier to just buy it all together, and be less hassle trying to deal with it. Just a theory of course, and not to be taken as fact as final details are unconfirmed at the time of this writing.

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
« Reply #10 on: 11:21 AM - 06/13/08 »

Interesting. I'll let someone else tackle this. However let me offer a theory - which I cannot confirm as true or false at this time. If the pre built model has a new controller on it, and then you return yours which is used - it would sound like to me you would owe money for the difference in market value of used vs new. Interesting concept, but I am sure it's just easier to just buy it all together, and be less hassle trying to deal with it. Just a theory of course, and not to be taken as fact as final details are unconfirmed at the time of this writing.

What Nick is saying is that while the original design (007) is simpler, the new units (002, 005, I don't have a full list) are whats being used for XIM 2 due to there prevalence in the market. If you send Derek a 007 controller, it would be useless to him. That said, Derek should chime in soon and tell you his thoughts on any plans for accepting client's controllers to work on.

Also, walmart should have plenty of the newer wired controllers so...  :-X

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #11 on: 12:17 PM - 06/13/08 »
If you send Derek a 007 controller, it would be useless to him.

The controller architecture change was one of the biggest causes of delay for XIM2. The prior controller design was actually much harder to figure out how to mod. The signals used to drive the on-board processor of the controller were much more complex. It look me a good amount of time with an o-scope and logic analyzer to come up with a firmware that could emulate those signals. I was successful, but, the next day I bought another controller and the design was totally different. I had to start all over.

So, technically, if we really wanted to, we could support older controllers. But, they are obsolete which doesn't help justify the "cost" of having to maintain twice as many firmware designs.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
« Reply #12 on: 12:28 PM - 06/13/08 »
If you send Derek a 007 controller, it would be useless to him.

The controller architecture change was one of the biggest causes of delay for XIM2. The prior controller design was actually much harder to figure out how to mod. The signals used to drive the on-board processor of the controller were much more complex. It look me a good amount of time with an o-scope and logic analyzer to come up with a firmware that could emulate those signals. I was successful, but, the next day I bought another controller and the design was totally different. I had to start all over.

So, technically, if we really wanted to, we could support older controllers. But, they are obsolete which doesn't help justify the "cost" of having to maintain twice as many firmware designs.

I remember this, when it was 7 wires vs 20+ and you had both working. I recall being excited that I actually had some 007's around  ;D I think Derek explained to me how the 007 units worked and it kind of reminded me how ps/2 keyboard buffers work (I understand I'm probably way off with my analogy here.) In the end I think it was a good choice to stick to the newer controllers and lock into one design. Also, less to worry about with a simple design with switches even if it does mean more solder.

Offline jvanis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12:53 PM - 06/13/08 »
I have a new controller 005 that I use with the XFPS hunk of plastic right now, so it would probably be something up to the people building them to confirm a control was the proper version  or have someone send a controller and the $ for the work and have them directly modify the controller.  I guess there are shipping charges involved that may make this not quite as appealing, but I would prefer to spend 6 bucks on shipping vs shelling out essentially the 40 or whatever bucks a "new" controller costs when I have one that would work well.  Means I will probably end up trying a DIY kit and if I fudge it up, will be buying a pre-made one.

I just thought of this idea as I used to do something similar when I did work on cars building custom Projector/HID headlight setups. 

Edit: I totally agree on just supporting the new versions of the controller for the sake of availability and rework.  My controller has been used for a total of about 5 minutes when I was setting up the XFPS which is still used but "like new" condition ;) Good work on everything cant wait for more updates.
« Last Edit: 12:56 PM - 06/13/08 by jvanis »

Offline thegame1594

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06:39 AM - 11/09/09 »
hi guys my questions are:

if i build one my self with the xfps sniper pro unit.

can i use all wired controllers to set it up?
there is no soldering on the controller motherboard what i have seen is that right?
and the last one is : does it work's equal or like the same as the prebuild version?

would be nice if you guys can help me out with this questions!
i don't want to wait to long to get one of these. So i want to try it that way.