XIM Community

Here it is the Ultimate PC build for 1000  (Read 4739 times)

Offline Winnnie

• MVP
  • The 'Pished' Brit
    • View Profile
Re: Here it is the Ultimate PC build for 1000
« Reply #15 on: 03:09 PM - 01/23/12 »
Thanks mate, i have accounts on all 3 so that makes my life easier.

Legend fella!

Right Ult, im in the market for a new dish washer, the wife has started a revolution and is refusing.

Lol.

Winnnnnnnnnnnie
UK TEAM XIM STREAMER.

Live on Mon//Weds//Fri//Sun
Winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnie

Offline Ultim8

• MVP
  • Gamertag = Ultim83
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Ultim83
« Reply #16 on: 03:13 PM - 01/23/12 »
lol tell her all future appliances are gonna be controlled by bluetooth and you need to get a suitable bluetooth PC.......dongle should cost you about a fiver on top of system price ;)

Offline Winnnie

• MVP
  • The 'Pished' Brit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03:19 PM - 01/23/12 »
Lolz!

Just jotting that down on a post it, will stick it to her head in a bit.
UK TEAM XIM STREAMER.

Live on Mon//Weds//Fri//Sun
Winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnie

Offline Ultim8

• MVP
  • Gamertag = Ultim83
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03:27 PM - 01/23/12 »
thats it mate,  oh something i have found useful after doing such things is to run as fast as you can and if possible let one rip so she doesnt follow you.

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
  • Made up from mostly non toxic materials.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04:31 PM - 01/23/12 »
Legends! the pair of you's.

Newly married noob taking notes here! lol...
keep em coming lads.
Click > Here < for my COD4:RM / BOPs3 XIM4 Setup.

XIM4: FAQ - Downloads - Hardware Compatibility

Offline remf

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: remfinator
« Reply #20 on: 04:42 AM - 02/03/12 »
Thanks for this - it's really helpful. I've been away from PC gaming for some time and have no knowledge on what the latest components are that I should be considering.

Out of interest, if I was building a rig purely for gaming and some video editing (e.g. read frag movies) what could I lose/save on from that system there? I don't need an additional HD (have a few kicking about), but would want to add a sound card to run an old pair of, but still excellent, Sennheiser mic/headphone for surround sound so I can work out where the footsteps etc are coming from! I won't be buying speakers though, so don't need an all bells and whistles sound card.

Obviously I'd want a graphics card that can comfortably play games like BF3 on the highest setting, but clearly, in competitive gaming I'd drop the settings for best performance, so maybe don't need the very best gfx card out there - though clearly this might be a consideration for video editing etc?

Ideally would be looking in the 800-1000 range as well. Have all the additional peripherals.

One last consideration - I don't want a massive tower sitting in the corner somewhere, so something compact that handles the above for the next 2 years or so would be ideal and something that doesn't sound like a Boeing 747 taking off would be helpful, but having had a look at the listed cooling options it seems this won't be the case?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Adzie

• If at first you don't succeed respawn & try again
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: AdzXT
« Reply #21 on: 12:16 PM - 02/03/12 »
Ultim8 - great list.
Just a few points:
- The 2500k is an i5, not an i7.
- XFX, in my experience, is awful. I had a motherboard from them that died. The RMA spanned several months, during which they sent me two warped motherboards and a faulty 5770 before finally sending me a working item. I'd avoid them like the plague.
- Other than price, is there a reason you chose an AMD card over an Nvidia card? Just out of interest.
- Hard drives. As you said, their prices are ridiculous at the moment. For now, I'd hold off buying HDDs, or buy a second hand one if you really badly need it. The prices should be back to normal by mid-summer at the latest. Alternatively, external hard drives can be had relatively cheap; buy an external unit and rip the drive out of it.

remf - if you want a smaller unit, go with a Micro-ATX board, which will let you use a smaller chassis. You won't be able to use multiple GPUs in a xfire or sli setup, but that would push the price right up anyway. If you're doing video editing frequently, you'll benefit from going with an i7-2600k or i7-2700k, both of which have hyperthreading.
I personally have a custom water cooling loop, which is almost silent, but that depends on how much you're willing to spend. The most noise would probably come from the GPU under load, but a full CPU+GPU loop, plus the radiators and reservoir, would be expensive and probably wouldn't fit in a micro-atx case (I struggled to fit mine in an Antec 900 which is a midi).
So price/performance, you might want to consider something like the Corsair Hydro series, but with Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans.

Xbox 360 Resident Evil Limited Edition | Logitech G700 | Microsoft SideWinder X6 | TurtleBeach X11
Intel Q9650 @ 4GHz | Mushkin Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | Zotac Nvidia GTX 470 | 2x Vertex 2E 60GB (RAID0) | Custom Watercooling Loop

Offline Curtis Deadman

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Curtis Deadman
« Reply #22 on: 12:34 PM - 02/03/12 »
Just for reference, www.passmark.com has great benchmarking website for hardware, but it's also really useful because they keep watch for the prices of everything as well.  So if you're looking to purchase any of those parts listed in the build, you can keep an eye on it and see if you can get it cheaper by waiting a little bit.

Offline Ultim8

• MVP
  • Gamertag = Ultim83
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01:46 PM - 02/08/12 »
Ultim8 - great list.
Just a few points:
- The 2500k is an i5, not an i7.
- XFX, in my experience, is awful. I had a motherboard from them that died. The RMA spanned several months, during which they sent me two warped motherboards and a faulty 5770 before finally sending me a working item. I'd avoid them like the plague.
- Other than price, is there a reason you chose an AMD card over an Nvidia card? Just out of interest.
- Hard drives. As you said, their prices are ridiculous at the moment. For now, I'd hold off buying HDDs, or buy a second hand one if you really badly need it. The prices should be back to normal by mid-summer at the latest. Alternatively, external hard drives can be had relatively cheap; buy an external unit and rip the drive out of it.

remf - if you want a smaller unit, go with a Micro-ATX board, which will let you use a smaller chassis. You won't be able to use multiple GPUs in a xfire or sli setup, but that would push the price right up anyway. If you're doing video editing frequently, you'll benefit from going with an i7-2600k or i7-2700k, both of which have hyperthreading.
I personally have a custom water cooling loop, which is almost silent, but that depends on how much you're willing to spend. The most noise would probably come from the GPU under load, but a full CPU+GPU loop, plus the radiators and reservoir, would be expensive and probably wouldn't fit in a micro-atx case (I struggled to fit mine in an Antec 900 which is a midi).
So price/performance, you might want to consider something like the Corsair Hydro series, but with Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans.

Hi Adzie,

Sorry I have been busy and not getting onto the forums much lately but here are a few answers for you.

Your correct the 2500k is an i5 not an i7 I copy and pasted a lot of the descriptions from the etailers.
XFX was aweful but here in the UK there RMA centre is actually exceptionally good now,  I have dealt with there RMA before and I too waited a while.  They have however contracted in a firm i know well that do an excellent job at the rma side so for UK based issues there shouldn't be any issues.

AMD over nvidia....ok so bang for buck the AMD card wins obviously but myself at the moment feel that multiple monitor setups are much easier with ati than nvidia cards.  Dont get me wrong im not a fan boy I loved my 8800GTS SLI setup previous to getting the 5870 "Six" editions,  I did then go for sli GTX 470's (well 465's flashed to unlock the additional memory and shaders) but they were louder,  performed around the same and to enable multi screen I couldnt run them in sli which kind of defeated the object of 2 high end cards.  Nvidia may have fixed this now but overall at the moment I think AMD are winning on Price vs Performance vs features your actually gonna use.  Also if your looking and thinking cuda then sure if your into one particular app but to be honest AMD's stream is often better quality and faster,  Quicksync seems to be beating them all.

I also totally agree with you on prefering external storage over filling your rig with HDD's.  I built a little mini-itx freenas box running raidz on 4 x 2tb hdd's and it max's my GBit network out.

Congratz to the newly wed publix too and just remember mate to agree with everything they say and you will be fine......but watch out for the trick questions as they like to do that at time......oh and then there is the questions they ask that there is NO right answer to,  Oh and you have to work on your telepathy because you need to know what they want you to do before they do.....Simple

Remf it depends how much of an audiophile you are and ultimately how much you wanna spend.
If its just for gaming then use the onboard it will be fine,  onboard is usually ok for most people and it will allow you to hear footsteps.  Or you could have a look at something like the Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI,  these are cheap and have a built in amp for headsets.

Thanks for the link Curtis i usually use http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2 as you can do GPU, SSD, CPU ect ect and they use virtually every kind of benchmark needed to make a decision and allow you to compare.

Offline turboRush

• All Day Baby!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: turboRush
Re: Here it is the Ultimate PC build for £1000
« Reply #24 on: 03:49 PM - 02/08/12 »
Anyone got an up to date gaming rig list or is the 1 ultim8 posted still relevant?
Mouse:
- Logitech G9X 5700 DPI
Keyboard:
- Razer Nostromo Gaming Keypad (So worth the buy!)
Monitor:
- Acer P216HV 21.5" 1920x1080
Headset:
Turtle Beach X12 + DSS2 Sound Amplifier (Truly amazing)

** Have any questions about my setup? Feel free to PM me and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Check my thread on the Den Kirson forum discussing the G36C!
http://denkirson.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=nonsense&action=display&thread=3760

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04:24 PM - 02/08/12 »
I'd say still relevant, he only posted it a week or so back.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04:51 PM - 02/08/12 »
awesome avatar publix, lol
mittyz would be proud of you (man where is my kitten, gone for month now!)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04:58 PM - 02/08/12 »
awesome avatar publix, lol
mittyz would be proud of you (man where is my kitten, gone for month now!)

Aww thanks man, i like your avatar too Od1n.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05:00 PM - 02/08/12 »
not a lot of people enjoy riding a pig while having a beer ;)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05:05 PM - 02/08/12 »
Its just one of those "@#$% how did that situation occur?" moments..

Lolz, ThreeWheels one is cool too!