XIM Community

Cable sleeving project for xim/Xbox/accessories setup  (Read 4334 times)

holidayshrimp

So I brought my Xbox into work today because I knew the que would be dead during holiday freeze. Led me to start thinking about sleeving my xim3 setup so there would be one bunch with 2x USB cables (xim/astro power) and the rest hasn't been thought out too well yet. Haha

So anyone have any ideas on how to make it so transporting the setup (xbox/mixamp/xim) would be cake?

Thinking of getting a g13 to permanently attached to this setup. Maybe some sort of case to hold mixamp and xim together as one unit with screen and knobs accessible at same time. Could even have a clear protective window. OK this could get crazy but would be awesome if done right.

First off need to find some sort of cable sleeving kit that can accommodate the extra length from VGA cable so it'll need some girth. I'm thinking some 4-5" wide Velcro that can be cut to any length. I don't like Velcro because it gets all the little crap stuck to it but is adjustable if you swap components (g13 for psnav or kb for example). It would accommodate long VGA cable that would have to be woven like an s to even out lengths. All the sleeving kits I see are for power supplies so probably not suited for this girth (hehe).

Secondly need to figure out a logical grouping to make it have the least amount of bundles but have enough slack for desk setup with a monitor.

Lastly (and optional really) would be some sort of way to combine mixamp/xim in an organizer or case. It could have cable storage for packing to to.

Also the controller must be considered too dangit.  Hopefully we can all figure this out. Just tossing the idea around and I'm not sure how many of you would actually lug your xim around but I know I would if it we're super easy. Ill whip up some Prelims tomorrow!

Offline n0skills90

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: II BrT n0skills
Re: Cable sleeving project for xim/Xbox/accessories setup
« Reply #1 on: 07:25 AM - 12/22/11 »
Something like this?

Although i'm not entirely sure the amount of cable or the total thickness of cable you need to house is, but i'm sure you can get thicker ones of these. On the site it only says, 'Will hold up to 6 cables' although this doesn't really give much away!

Offline DragonSlayer

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: DragonSlayerMP
« Reply #2 on: 08:05 AM - 12/22/11 »
Something like this?

Although i'm not entirely sure the amount of cable or the total thickness of cable you need to house is, but i'm sure you can get thicker ones of these. On the site it only says, 'Will hold up to 6 cables' although this doesn't really give much away!

These are good. All of our cables are wrapped in these. I work in  911 center and sit in front of six monitors and it manages the cables nicely.

holidayshrimp

« Reply #3 on: 05:59 PM - 12/22/11 »
Where can I order that from? Heading to work right now to to think of logistics of cable grouping

Offline snaku

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: defunkt
« Reply #4 on: 06:05 PM - 12/22/11 »
Sounds like a great project. Anything to reduce the clutter of wires the XIM creates would be bonus. Looking forward to see what you come up with.
XIM3 // G700 // Sony Nav          
Astro A30s // Mixamp 5.8

Offline n0skills90

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06:24 PM - 12/22/11 »
Where can I order that from? Heading to work right now to to think of logistics of cable grouping

Are you from the UK? The one i saw was on maplin.co.uk website, but i'm sure there must be other variations of it. They call it a 'cable zip tidy' though, fairly cheap too. Hope this helps.

holidayshrimp

« Reply #6 on: 07:10 PM - 12/22/11 »
Unfortunately in the U.S. but going to look for similar products. Thanks for the info =)

holidayshrimp

« Reply #7 on: 05:11 AM - 12/29/11 »
So I bet u all are wondering where I am at with this project?

I grouped the cables in a good way finally. This is a temporary (and awesome) solution for now until I can figure out what to put these in. I'm thinking maybe cut up the astro box. I probably won't because I love boxes.

Please note the awesome cup LOL this is at my work desk.

Also I didn't bend the optical cable all the bends are smooth S.

I'm off! Time t go home. Zzzzzzz
« Last Edit: 05:21 AM - 12/29/11 by holidayshrimp »

holidayshrimp

« Reply #8 on: 05:47 PM - 12/29/11 »
Found a good box to start with as a template. Going to use packing peanuts until I can get foam to cut to shape.

Thinking of having:
-bottom of mixamp at edge of box so headphones can be put in out easilly
-top of mixamp hidden with wires put below the foam
-top of XIM exposed to plug components in out easilly. Might just mount a kvm in there since I have a dedicated g13 that ill bind to the setup
-g13 might fit in box also.

After I stuff these in ill keep checking down box sizes till I find a perfect size.

Ideally I want a flip open plastic container or removable top to see the goodies and pack for travelling. Starting to think the n52te might be better because of smaller size....

Ill post more pics when I start cutting and packing ^__^

Offline stetab

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: BO4TZ
« Reply #9 on: 10:48 PM - 12/29/11 »
Use spray foam insulation. Lay stuff out upside down, cover with cloth, spray foam in box, box over stuff, put something heavy on top. Foam swells up, voila.

holidayshrimp

« Reply #10 on: 11:39 PM - 12/29/11 »
Nice, thanks for suggestion.  Got a few boxes here that I'll be testing.  Unfortunately at work there is tons of 0 day patching going on with a bunch of FTE's watching us do our work so it's too busy to slack off today!

Offline ROLL

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: PlaToad
« Reply #11 on: 11:31 AM - 12/30/11 »
How do you like the little keyboard that is plugged into your controller?

Was thinking about getting one to step my messaging game up.

Offline n0skills90

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04:21 PM - 12/30/11 »
How do you like the little keyboard that is plugged into your controller?

Was thinking about getting one to step my messaging game up.

Could be useful, i assume you can bind all the keys in a config to the normal keyboard keys? Although you can just switch to pc and message via xbox.com, was surprised to find you can even message recently played :)

holidayshrimp

« Reply #13 on: 06:17 PM - 12/30/11 »
I am still getting use to the key locations however it is awesome. It is so much more convenient when I am bringing my xbox from home to work. I am still adjusting to the thumb positions and still feel the spacebar is better but the arch palm support is nice. I hear the n52te is smaller and I have large hands for my size (can palm a basketball) and read the g13 was bigger so I went with it. Interested in the cherry mx red that roads modded but it was listed at $220ish!

Got it all crammed into a box. Going to look into shorter cables and L bend connector adapters to clean it up.

Offline stetab

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: BO4TZ
« Reply #14 on: 11:32 AM - 12/31/11 »
Nice, thanks for suggestion.  Got a few boxes here that I'll be testing.  Unfortunately at work there is tons of 0 day patching going on with a bunch of FTE's watching us do our work so it's too busy to slack off today!

This is where it's from, the pics explain it better

http://www.machinistblog.com/pamper-your-tools/