XIM Community

Hooking up 360 to comp with an optical sound cable?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline TranslusenT

• View Profile
I want to hook my xbox up to output sound through my comp so I dont need to purchase an optical headset.  I think this setup would be ideal because then I would be playing with a G5, Saitek Eclipse, sennheiser 555 head phones, and my @#$% @#$% monitor monitor at my comp desk.  The problem is, after purchasing the Male to male optical cable, and installing my mobo sound drivers, it gets nothing from the xbox.  I have a setting enabled that specifically states it will output to me what is inputted through the in/out SPDIF.  Yet even when look at my sound devices in control panel, it states that nothing is going through, just gray bars.  Does anybody know of a specific driver or program I could use to decode the xbox optical signal?

It's a mystery to me why this is doesn't function, all google searching has proved useless, every post that attacks it ends for no reason, or the people responding dont understand the situation.  Please help me xim at my best :(.

Offline Chris612

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: silentkiller747
Re: Hooking up 360 to comp with an optical sound cable?
« Reply #1 on: 11:27 PM - 01/20/09 »
I don't know about your particular case, but what I did in order to use my pc headset was use the hdmi audio adapter that comes with the elites and plug in an red/white rca to 3.5mm adapter into it. works good for me.
Proud owner of an XIM2 DIY Noob Owning Machine, and now an XIM3!

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:18 AM - 01/21/09 »
On the X-Fi card I have an in and out (sounds like you do to). I plug in a external source (I have done everything but the xbox, so should be the same) to the in, and have it route out through my speakers (which are analog for this particular set up). I also have a digital set up which uses the optical out on my X-FI, and the set up is the same, optical in some magic in the control panel telling it what to do and normally not an issue. Of course in Vista, this is not the case and I have issues with it.

What OS you running?
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline TranslusenT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08:28 AM - 01/21/09 »
Im running vista, I've heard of people doing this no problem with linux and a couple with XP I believe, but I'm not sure that anyone has been able to set this up with vista.  And to clarify, i'm trying to plug it into my mobo, which supports optical in/out, my soundcard is broken.

Offline blast uk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:22 PM - 01/22/09 »
Is your xbox audio output set to Digital Stereo? Mine didn't work in the 5.1 modes when I tried to set up surround headphones through my xp pc! :'(

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01:12 PM - 01/22/09 »
Is your xbox audio output set to Digital Stereo? Mine didn't work in the 5.1 modes when I tried to set up surround headphones through my xp pc! :'(

This could be a dolby issue. If you output native 5.1, the recieving end has to accept it. Some cards you can set up what the in on the optical is along with the out. I go optical in 5.1 to analog out 5.1.

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

Offline Gabbagod

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02:19 PM - 01/22/09 »
I was in the same situation as you. Basically you have a couple of choices. As mentioned above, get a small attachment similar to:

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/72000172/Images/1/3tr.jpg

With this you can connect the two audio cables from your 360 into the PC's Mic in hole. This in turn gives you stereo sound.

I know with my soundcard although it has a digital input hole it will not produce surround sound as SPDIF can only be played through 2 speakers (maybe just my card but during my research it showed a lot are like this).

If you do want full surround sound, your best option all be it expensive is:

http://developer.asymbio.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/logitech_z5500.jpg

You can get your 360 straight into this bad boy for amazing sound in surround!

Offline TranslusenT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02:21 PM - 01/22/09 »
I've tried to output all three of the different xbox settings, all of which my mobo said it could match, I set my mobo to the same settings when I did it.  My 555's dont have 5.1 they just have a perfect placement headphone config, ie 2 speaker.  So even if i do output 5.1, i will only hear front left and front right.  I tried all the settings anyways and got no signal what so ever.

Offline TranslusenT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02:24 PM - 01/22/09 »

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/72000172/Images/1/3tr.jpg

What is this device called?  Looks like it would be about 3 dollars, compared to the 14 I spent for this nice optical cable -_-.  Audio in to minijack something or another?

Offline TranslusenT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02:33 PM - 01/22/09 »
http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=ADPT2QMFMSM&preadd=action

Found something I think will do the trick, disregaurd my pm and post I suppose, going to see if radio shack has something similar.

Offline Gabbagod

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02:40 PM - 01/22/09 »
Yeah that'll do it!

Offline TranslusenT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03:01 PM - 01/22/09 »
Oh and the standard computer sound mini jack is 1/4 right? not 1/8?

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04:26 PM - 01/23/09 »
Oh and the standard computer sound mini jack is 1/4 right? not 1/8?

Computer is 1/8 not 1/4 you got it backwards. Hehe.

Gamertag ii TR00F ii