XIM Community

In search of a controller  (Read 3670 times)

technogiant

In search of a controller
« on: 02:34 AM - 01/15/09 »
I never have been able to use the wsad on a keyboard and am searching for a controller for my left hand....the best Ive found so far is the belkin nostromo n52...but to be honest I find it really uncomfortable to use....I'm afraid that the saitek ccu and the new logitech G13 would probably be similarly uncomfortable.(I know 99% of you will probably swear by these but I just find they strain my wrist)
Alot of the time I use the left hand stick of a controller in my left hand and mouse in my right but then there is a limitation with the number of buttons available that you can reach on the controller used like that.
I've been considering the Wii nunchuck but again that has very limited buttons...I know the motion sensor can be mapped to function buttons but as I tend to move about a bit when gaming don't think that would be the way to go for me.
Finally Ive been thinking of a joystick...I wouldn't use the main stick for movement as that would be a little slow but many of them have "8 way hats" on them....does anyone know if I would be able to map the " Hat" to forward/backward and right/left straffe on the pc and xim?

Offline Matt

• View Profile
Re: In search of a controller
« Reply #1 on: 11:40 AM - 01/15/09 »
Rather than switching from a controller in your left hand, have you considered getting a mouse with more buttons?

technogiant

« Reply #2 on: 12:47 PM - 01/15/09 »
Rather than switching from a controller in your left hand, have you considered getting a mouse with more buttons?

I've already got quite a few...I use a razor lachesis...I'm sure it will be enough when used with xim on the console games but I want to use the same setup on my pc games which tend to use more buttons.

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01:00 PM - 01/15/09 »
The ergonomics of the n52 and the Saitek CCU are pretty different man, the n52 has a bigger angle of incline from wrist to palm while the CCU is much more flat.  I find the CCU to be very comfortable.  And it's considerably cheaper than the G13 (although I'm still dying to get my hands on one).

I recommend giving the CCU a try.  If you don't like it I'm sure you can post it in the Community Market section and someone will snag it right away.

technogiant

« Reply #4 on: 01:15 PM - 01/15/09 »
The ergonomics of the n52 and the Saitek CCU are pretty different man, the n52 has a bigger angle of incline from wrist to palm while the CCU is much more flat.  I find the CCU to be very comfortable.  And it's considerably cheaper than the G13 (although I'm still dying to get my hands on one).

I recommend giving the CCU a try.  If you don't like it I'm sure you can post it in the Community Market section and someone will snag it right away.

I hear what your saying just concerned about splashing the cash on another controller I don't get on with even if I'd be able to recoup some of the loss by reselling....I haven't actually tried the ccu or g13 just they appear so similar...at least on the surface to the layout of the n52 that I was put off.
I'm quite sure that a joystick with pov hat would be comfortable so long as it is possible to map the pov hat to movement with both pc and xim.

Offline derek242

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05:43 PM - 01/15/09 »

works for me....

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05:45 PM - 01/15/09 »
rdfg > wasd
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%

technogiant

« Reply #7 on: 03:43 AM - 01/16/09 »

works for me....

WOOOW looks like just what I've been looking for.....what is it and where do I get it? (+karma for that)

And you just use a playstation to pc converter similar to the below?

http://www.jandaman.com/games.mvc?p=psxusb5&Category_code=PC

I imagine the version 2 would also work

http://www.consolesandgadgets.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=960
« Last Edit: 04:07 AM - 01/16/09 by technogiant »

technogiant

« Reply #8 on: 06:29 AM - 01/16/09 »
 :'( Can't get availability of this anywhere....anyone know of supplier that will ship to the UK.

technogiant

« Reply #9 on: 03:32 AM - 01/17/09 »
Finally managed to find a UK supplier of version one...thanks for your help guys  :)

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01:59 PM - 01/19/09 »
rdfg > wasd

ASDF

A left F right S up D down ......lol just made that up haha.

For the CCU I had my doubts about it then I got one and then I was kinda annoyed at it. I wasn't annoyed at the CCU really, just my brain of trying to get used to using a joystick with my thumb, then hitting keys with my finger rather than my thumb (like hitting spacebar for jump) and training my brain. Once I got past that it was DREAMS.

Saitek CCU is DREAMS. It really is. Using one thumb as opposed to the 3 fingers for AWSD opens up a world of possibilities that have not been realized until the CCU came along. I was very skeptical for a while since it's creation, but now I am a believer. Technogiant, I know you want a joystick so I wasn't saying you don't want one. You already realize how great it is. I would say give it a try and if you don't like it sell it or return it. It's great.

For the Xim 360 set up it's easy, just select "Joystick and Mouse" and it's bomb diggity.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Boddiebagger

• MVP
  • The Original KWAK'er
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01:45 AM - 01/20/09 »

works for me....

WOW..i have been searching for months for alternative left hand options to replace my attack 3 joystick and have never seen this. This looks like it will incorporate everything i want. Thanks

What boddiebagger calls losing a gun fight means, killing the opposing team 3 times over and dying once.

technogiant

« Reply #12 on: 02:56 AM - 01/20/09 »
It is a playstation controller so you will need a converter/connector for usb...you can't see on the photo but it also has two trigger buttons as well....mine's being dispatched tomorrow.  ;D

technogiant

« Reply #13 on: 07:20 AM - 01/22/09 »
Got my ASCii grip controller today and my connector for usb but can't get the it to do anything  :'(

Do I have to download any software to use this ps controller with a PC?

When I plug the usb to ps connector into the pc I get a message "usb device has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it"

This happens whether I attach just the connector alone or the connector together with the controller.

I've tried to assign functions to the various controller keys within a few pc games and it doesn't register a key stroke.

I've tried this with two pc's with the same result.

Thinking the connector my be faulty I tried to connect the controller alone to my xbox 360 using my XFPS's PS port but again was unable to assign any functions to the controller keys  ???

Can anyone help me with this please....don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if I have defective connector or controller or both.....the connector I belive is suitable for both ps and ps2 controllers to usb and the controller itself I believe is a ps1 type  ???

NB In case anyone gets on the wrong track I'm talking about use without any xim device
« Last Edit: 07:58 AM - 01/22/09 by technogiant »

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02:12 PM - 01/22/09 »
When I plug the usb to ps connector into the pc I get a message "usb device has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it"

That part of the equation is something you'll need to fix for it to work.  So whatever PS to USB adapter you're using needs to be replaced ASAP.