XIM Community

xbox360fanboy newbies + Dustin Burg proves yet again he's dumb.  (Read 5314 times)

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
Does everyone really think this is over-priced? Or do they just not understand what is involved... or the possibility of more device profiles than just keyboard and mouse?... or the near limitless flexibility of the configurations?

.sigh.

Offline Relys

• MVP
  • Master of Computer Science
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Relys
  • PSN ID: Relys
Does everyone really think this is over-priced? Or do they just not understand what is involved... or the possibility of more device profiles than just keyboard and mouse?... or the near limitless flexibility of the configurations?

.sigh.

There's a guy that uses the XIM360 for a custom rockband guitar hero setup right?

Maybe you should try to show the haters some of those videos.
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
I use my XIM 360 for wheel support.  I can use my sidewinder precision wheel or any other PC gaming wheel on my 360 and it's so freakin' awesome!!   Unfortunately, I believe support for analog triggers was taken out in later revisions of XIM360.  Is that still correct?  If so, I'm very glad that only a few people will be able to use pc wheels on the 360 because I wouldn't want everyone to have as much fun as I do. 

Oh and apparently this xim360 thingamajig works pretty good with a mouse for fps games too.  I'll have to look into that..

Offline Relys

• MVP
    • View Profile
I use my XIM 360 for wheel support.  I can use my sidewinder precision wheel or any other PC gaming wheel on my 360 and it's so freakin' awesome!!   Unfortunately, I believe support for analog triggers was taken out in later revisions of XIM360.  Is that still correct?  If so, I'm very glad that only a few people will be able to use pc wheels on the 360 because I wouldn't want everyone to have as much fun as I do. 

Oh and apparently this xim360 thingamajig works pretty good with a mouse for fps games too.  I'll have to look into that..

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was taken out.. Sucks for me seeing as I have flight controllers, a yoke, and flight peddles...

Offline Aceright

• View Profile
Does everyone really think this is over-priced? Or do they just not understand what is involved... or the possibility of more device profiles than just keyboard and mouse?... or the near limitless flexibility of the configurations?                                                             .sigh.

Perception.

$180 for a gamepad is expensive. The 360 gamepads are already expensive at $50-$65 (generics at retail from $30-$50). The Force Feedback wheel is $99 and the flight stick from Namco is $90ish? Xim2 is nearly twice as expensive as the FF Wheel and you can easily purchase 3, 4 if you bargin hunt, MS branded wireless gamepads for the price of a single Xim2. Of course the cost doesn't stop there. Add in a nice gaming KB/MS, Windows, and a PC near enough to use the product and you do present some big hurdles to the typical console gamer.

But lets swap the perspective.

$180 so a PC gamer can use his input device of choice on the Xbox 360.

PC gamers drop $200+ on a graphic card upgrade every 18-24 months. Start ticking off items like CPUs, RAM, case mods, cooling, new PSUs for power draining technology, displays, nice gaming mice, on and on the Xim360, seen as a PC peripheral, is within budget of the PC gaming enthusiest.

Another perspective is the PC-replacement. I am probably in this boat. PC gaming has some problems:

a) fewer compelling exclusives than in times past
b) PC-centric devs like Valve, Epic, id, etc are now fully supporting consoles
c) The Xbox is essentially a newbs-gaming-PC as it has a HD dislay support, 5.1 sound, online gaming, a large community that even your non-PC friends can easily join, and a large library of games (both new and budget/bargain bin) supporting a slew of standard online features.
d) An Xbox 360 is a cheaper gaming machine in many situations than a dedicated gaming PC--and the Xbox needs very few upgrades.

With this in mind, looking at the cost of the Xim2 as the cost to translate the core PC gaming experience of PC shooters to the consoles as a concession to the overall up-keep of PC gaming then it can be seen in a different light.

Of course a large number of games are FPS, so you could also argue that while there are a hanful of games that use the FF Wheel there are dozens that use the Xim2 for shooters.

How you look at the price equation is based on your hobbies, entertainment budget, and how much you dislike a gamepad for FPS.

I personally am in between ... I hate gamepads. I am ok, but my thumbs have a repetitive use issue due to employment related stress (and not, not picking my nose!) If Sony had encouraged devs to support KB/MS I would have purchaseda PS3, that is how much I prefer it over a gamepad (even though all my friends are on Live). $180 is a huge chunk of my annual gaming budget, but if Xim2 does everything people say a) I will enjoy my games more b) get more use ofthem and c) regret not being able to invest in a gaming PC. As much as I love mods there are very very few PC games not on the consoles I want. There are more good console games I would like that are not on the PC (or suck, like Madden).

I am sure related to Bill of Goods, dev costs (time, resources, parts), etc the Xim2 is not a "get rich" product for you guys. BUT people won't look at it that way, they only see the value it is to them.

I would guess most will scoff.

To those wanting KB/MS support they will find it somewhere between very desirable (if not expensive) and invaluable.

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
I look at it as I cut alot of yards in the Dos 6.xx days to buy a $400 CD Flightstick Pro and Pro Throttle. Both of which work TO THIS DAY, even in Vista - which isn't suppose to support such devices. All the buttons are mint. All the pots are mint. All the actions are mint. Despite many years of smoking and being stored under the ashtray...
That's a good investment.
For R/C flying I have three RD 6000/supers (mid-range computer radio) bought when they were new for $250 10 years ago when computer radios were really just penitrating the market. I still fly heli's with them as newer radios have not improved a percent. They're still worth $100 used by themselves.
I rocked a $120 Logitech thumb ball you know... Back when they were $120 dollars to begin with & not the $15.99 they are now; for 4-5+ years back when everyone else was 20-40dpi light wheel ball mice. Used the same Logitech 800dpi mouse and keyboard since 2001...
Bought a $100 Logitech G9 now because Im sure that provided I dont throw the thing it will be working aslong as I want to use it.

Asking to spend $100-200 to use the high quality periferals that XIM users are ALREADY LIKELY TO HAVE instead of the @#$% chinese ching-chong @#$% controllers xbox ps3 and wii come with... BYOB and BYO-ownage-device. Had I not had an XIM I wouldn't have bought my $100 G9... I would have bought a $100 MX Revolution. lmao.
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was taken out.. Sucks for me seeing as I have flight controllers, a yoke, and flight peddles...
full analog trigger support is in the xflex. we found the dacs we needed in decent supply.

Offline Relys

• MVP
    • View Profile

full analog trigger support is in the xflex. we found the dacs we needed in decent supply.

Well that just made my day. :D Burnout Paradise, HERE I COME!

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile

All of the above. People are stupid. They haven't read anything about it, followed it, or know anything about what's involved. Hell, early adopters to XIM1 were out about the same if not more. XFPS, XIM1, and a wired controller to make the XIM1 work. That was easily $180 if you didn't build the XIM yourself.

XIM2 is replacing the XFPS, but still needs a wireless controlled. Plus you have to pay a person their time to solder and test each one. $180 is a fair price.

Now of course you may be able to get parts cheaper, and so perhaps future batches can see a price cut down the line, but presently I think it's a good spot. Not to mention it includes US shipping.

People will always @#$% about costs though.

All the features it gives are more than worth it, it does more than just mouse keyboard, it can do Wiimotes, racing wheels, music games, lots of stuff.

Offline chessjr3030

• View Profile
    • 3dmillermeter

All of the above. People are stupid. They haven't read anything about it, followed it, or know anything about what's involved. Hell, early adopters to XIM1 were out about the same if not more. XFPS, XIM1, and a wired controller to make the XIM1 work. That was easily $180 if you didn't build the XIM yourself.

XIM2 is replacing the XFPS, but still needs a wireless controlled. Plus you have to pay a person their time to solder and test each one. $180 is a fair price.

Now of course you may be able to get parts cheaper, and so perhaps future batches can see a price cut down the line, but presently I think it's a good spot. Not to mention it includes US shipping.

People will always @#$% about costs though.

All the features it gives are more than worth it, it does more than just mouse keyboard, it can do Wiimotes, racing wheels, music games, lots of stuff.

Agreed!
$180.00 is a small price to pay for total xbox 360 Input Peripheral freedom
« Last Edit: 02:19 PM - 01/06/09 by chessjr3030 »
Lovin my XIM1

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile

that is awesome news!!  you guys are the men!

Offline Snow

• Master of Radiation
    • View Profile

PC gamers drop $200+ on a graphic card upgrade every 18-24 months. Start ticking off items like CPUs, RAM, case mods, cooling, new PSUs for power draining technology, displays, nice gaming mice, on and on the Xim360, seen as a PC peripheral, is within budget of the PC gaming enthusiest.

Exactly. The haters or whiners aren't looking at the long term. Over the last few years, I had to upgrade my PC twice. I was very lucky to get really sweet deals on cards and mobo's from my design partner, otherwise, for the same stuff I would have plunked down a good $2200. I'm already upgrading again because I'm getting a wacom monitor in February (although this upgrade is for graphic purposes). As for gaming, over the past few years, the only games I have on my PC that I liked are the majority of titles from Valve (Half Life guy through and through), Halo PC, Crysis, Farcry, Stalker and Soldat. If I wouldn't have had those sweet deals, I would have still paid out $2200 just so that I could experience those games on my own system. $2200 is quite extreme to spend to have the privilege of playing a few games. $180 to play any shooter existing or upcoming on the Xbox360 is NOTHING. The xbox is slated to be Micro$ux's main console for another 5 years. As many have pointed out, it requires no physical upgrades (except maybe a larger harddrive).
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb" - Dark Helmet

Offline slayersteve

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: x SLAYER Steve
This would have been good to know before I ordered one of the pre-Christmas deals...
still happy with mine, just sayin... wanted to use my Thrustmaster set up for something at some point (once I got COD:[email protected] out of my system)

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
This would have been good to know before I ordered one of the pre-Christmas deals...
still happy with mine, just sayin... wanted to use my Thrustmaster set up for something at some point (once I got COD:[email protected] out of my system)

Pretty sure your's is from the last few Rev.b boards. Meaning 3 dac