XIM Community

xim2 on a mac?  (Read 3298 times)

Offline smitty

• View Profile
xim2 on a mac?
« on: 08:17 AM - 01/02/09 »
I've got a mac mini and I'm just wondering if xim360 will work on it?

I think this should be added to the FAQ.

Offline Memento_Mori

• View Profile
Re: xim2 on a mac?
« Reply #1 on: 09:55 AM - 01/02/09 »
I've got a mac mini and I'm just wondering if xim360 will work on it?

I think this should be added to the FAQ.

What OS are you running? Windows with bootcamp?

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12:00 PM - 01/02/09 »
First of all XIM is not going to run in OS X so if that's what you were hoping then you're out of luck.  If your Mac mini is PowerPC then you're really out of luck and can stop reading this now.  However if you have an intel processor then continue reading.

You have two options to run XIM on your Mac *if* you have an intel processor.  The first option is via VMware Fusion.  I've tried this myself and it works as long as your mouse movements stay trapped within the window.  If you have the software configured to allow free exchange of your mouse between the native OS (being OS X) and your emulated Windows environment inside of VMware then translation will get FUBARed the second your mouse leaves the Windows environment.  And, well, that's just no fun.

Your second option is to install bootcamp.  The installation is really a breeze and being Apple it is virtually idiot-proof.  You load the application and insert your Windows CD and it takes care of partitioning your drive and setting it up.  Then it'll reboot your computer and begin the Windows install.  If you've installed Windows before you'll know that it's mostly waiting while setup copies files and prepares everything.  This option is probably your best one because you needn't worry about losing your mouse movements when your mouse gets close to the edge of an emulated OS environment. 

Oh, and by the way, what kind of gamers use OS X?  This device was really geared towards PC gamers that couldn't use the gamepad effectively.  And as you probably know there aren't very many (re: like 2) FPS games available for OS X.  So the need to include that in the FAQ isn't really necessary.  Plus if you had looked in the Downloads section of the website you would have seen the XIM package available only for the Windows platform and that would have been enough of an answer in itself.

Offline smitty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:40 PM - 01/02/09 »
First of all XIM is not going to run in OS X so if that's what you were hoping then you're out of luck.  If your Mac mini is PowerPC then you're really out of luck and can stop reading this now.  However if you have an intel processor then continue reading.

You have two options to run XIM on your Mac *if* you have an intel processor.  The first option is via VMware Fusion.  I've tried this myself and it works as long as your mouse movements stay trapped within the window.  If you have the software configured to allow free exchange of your mouse between the native OS (being OS X) and your emulated Windows environment inside of VMware then translation will get FUBARed the second your mouse leaves the Windows environment.  And, well, that's just no fun.

Your second option is to install bootcamp.  The installation is really a breeze and being Apple it is virtually idiot-proof.  You load the application and insert your Windows CD and it takes care of partitioning your drive and setting it up.  Then it'll reboot your computer and begin the Windows install.  If you've installed Windows before you'll know that it's mostly waiting while setup copies files and prepares everything.  This option is probably your best one because you needn't worry about losing your mouse movements when your mouse gets close to the edge of an emulated OS environment.

Alright, thank you. And yes, I have the new Mac mini with a 1.83Ghz core daul with Mac OS X, so it should would. :)

Oh, and by the way, what kind of gamers use OS X?  This device was really geared towards PC gamers that couldn't use the gamepad effectively.  And as you probably know there aren't very many (re: like 2) FPS games available for OS X.  So the need to include that in the FAQ isn't really necessary.  Plus if you had looked in the Downloads section of the website you would have seen the XIM package available only for the Windows platform and that would have been enough of an answer in itself.

Its not for gaming. I have a Vista machine, with an amd 6400+ running at 3.21Ghz, 4gigs of ram and a 8800GT, for my gaming rig. The mac is just for fun its hooked up to my tv and i have a wireless keyboard and mouse so i can sit on my sofa with my z-5500 surround sound hooked up. Of corse, if i got xim hooked up I'd have the z-5500 hooked up to my xbox and i would be using my logitech Illuminated Keyboard and my logitech MX 518 mouse instead. Its just, that I don't want to have to move around my PC all the time.

Offline aelione

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:27 PM - 05/28/13 »
Wish there was manager for Mac; Having to run bootcamp or VM just to manage my mouse/keyboard adapter makes me wish there were another brand of adapter where I didn't have to do that.

Please add Mac OS support eventually; PC users aren't the only gamers interested in this product. It will only make XIM that much better than the rest of its competitors.

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Xaanit
« Reply #5 on: 08:38 AM - 08/22/13 »
Uhh this is in regards to the XIM2...

ANd it is a super old thread as tweak had responded.

And yes people know that MAC users are gamers too...but the world also knows that they are a severe minority.