XIM Community

XIM with cheap PS2->PS3 adapter  (Read 4556 times)

Offline neemz

• View Profile
XIM with cheap PS2->PS3 adapter
« on: 03:47 AM - 02/13/08 »
Hi folks.

Seems the adapter I bought doesn't work with the XIM. The only thing that seems to work on it is holding down the up arrow with the backspace key in order to bring up the menu to turn off the system or controller.

Interestingly if I tap backspace and then press up then the up key registers so I am able to move up through menu items this way. Nothing else seems to function though.

Offline ims

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: victermizer
  • PSN ID: imsfuji
Re: XIM with cheap PS2->PS3 adapter
« Reply #1 on: 06:36 AM - 02/13/08 »
Have you read my thread on the converter I have "venom" p2-ps3 converter

Anyway this is the routine that works on my adapter *100%* of the time, can maybe give it a shot on yours

1. Switch on Ps3 to bootup, with no controllers connected.

2.  Turn on PC and connect up the mouse/keyboard into the PC USB slots and connect Pc--->XIM--> converter. Dont plug in just yet until PS3 booted

2. When booted PS3 will say something like " connect controller" or some shite.Now attach the usb end of teh converter into the PS3.

3. At this point hit the side button called "menu" ( yours may be called something else).

4. Menu screen comes up giving options eg switch off, change controller setting etc. At this point my adapter automatically has kicked in and the m/k work on the fly.

5. Launch XIM program, it should fire up giving mouse updates around 62/63/sec and automtically detect m/k

6. Make sure you have your keys configued in Xim program eg space bar =x, mouse side button=triangle/go back etc etc etc

That is it basically

Cheers

Imran

PSN id: imsfuji. Playing on a 58 series Fujitsu Plamsa, the worlds finest plasma screen near you!
« Last Edit: 06:43 AM - 02/13/08 by ims »
Long live the Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine

Offline neemz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07:49 AM - 02/13/08 »
Thanks for the response Imran,

I tried your routine but unfortunately it didn't work for my adapter :(

The closest 5 HMV stores to me are out of the venom adapter too. I think I could get the XIM to work on all adapters but it would require me having access to the source code.

Offline ims

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:24 PM - 02/13/08 »
What does the XIM software say ?Is it saying no input found? Try pulling out the m/k and replugging them into the pc. Barring that dunno what to say  :-[

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02:12 PM - 02/13/08 »
We really need to find a readily available stock of working adapters. I should have a XIM sometime within the next week, so once I do I'll be testing some adapters.

Offline ims

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07:03 AM - 02/14/08 »
http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/Multi9gqx2hm0e0j/Venom-PS2-to-PS3-Controller-Adapter

If this thing sells out its gonna be hell finding another one. I might just buy another one for future safekeeping just in case  ;D

Offline neemz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08:17 AM - 02/14/08 »

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10:15 AM - 02/14/08 »
http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/Multi9gqx2hm0e0j/Venom-PS2-to-PS3-Controller-Adapter

If this thing sells out its gonna be hell finding another one. I might just buy another one for future safekeeping just in case  ;D

Problem is they don't ship to US.

How much would it cost me to get you to order a pair then ship it over? Might not need it, I'm still waiting on my XIM and adapter I purchased, but if that adapter doesn't work I'd certainly pay to get them shipped over. Just let me know.

Offline neemz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10:24 AM - 02/14/08 »
Hey Juncti,

If your adapter doesn't work i'll order it and post it over to you just for the cost of the thing + postage.

I am semi considering working on a way to make the xim work with any adapter but it will take some time without any existing source code to work with. I have a friend who has been an embedded systems engineer for a little over 20 years so I could call in his help if needed. Although I am trying to broaden my programming skills so I will try without help (my current job only involves high level programming langugages and reverse engineering the XIM will require knowledge of assembler).

Neemz

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10:48 AM - 02/14/08 »
Well any help I can offer on the adapter project let me know.

I'll let you know if I need the adapter or not as soon as all the bits arrive. I think the XIM is arriving today, the adapter has no tracking number, but it should arrive any day now.

One thing I've noticed is, these adapters seem to be available by region. The I-con's are pretty much only available in Canada stores, and now these Venom adapters are specific to gameseek which only deal around Europe and UK.

I wonder if there is some restriction with Playstation US that prevents manufacturer's here from making a comparable model.

Offline ims

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11:33 AM - 02/14/08 »
well looking at this page it does look as if HMV delivers overseas:

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/navigate.do?ctx=1071;-1;-1;-1&pPageID=1077&WT.ac=CUS_Terms+And+Conditions-LHTMN-CUS_SERV_MENU-Shipping+Information

Or maybe one of us can post a new one to you?

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12:04 PM - 02/14/08 »
Just tried that site, it let me open an account, but doesn't have all the fields needed to enter a US address properly. Not sure it would work. They also note that the Venom adapter ships in 21 days, so they might be back ordered there.

If one of you can order some and ship here just let me know the cost. I'd buy 2 of them. I know someone else that wants a setup as well, so I'd let them have the other.

Then if the one I already have on the way works I'll just have an extra to offer anyone else here who needs an adapter.

Let me know how much it would be to get a pair of them. I have paypal all setup already(used it to buy the XIM) if that would be easiest. Also if we do paypal let me know how much they'd charge in fee to receive payment so we can overcompensate the payment amount to make up the difference.

Thanks for the assist!

Offline ims

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04:08 PM - 02/14/08 »
Well if I get a chance to pop into HMV or order online from gameseek will let you know.

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08:34 PM - 02/15/08 »
Thanks, I went back to HMV today to try and see about if I could get the order through correctly. Still couldn't get it.

I'm not too familiar with foreign currency (I've never really gotten the chance to travel outside US). Is that symbol for the British Pound? If so am I correct in translation that 9.99 pound equals roughly $20 US dollar?

Shipping costs from there to here also seem to be ridiculously high. If I do get them shipped from you, cheapest way might be to open them up (probably a good idea anyway, can make sure they work) and just place them alone inside the package with a little cushioning rather than the big box they come in.

Weird that the adapter I bought comes in a box roughly the same size as venom and it shipped from China, but shipping was only $4 US from China, and it's looking like shipping from UK will cost like over $100.

Edit:

I just heard back from the reseller I bought my adapter from. Said it should be arriving sometime this week. My XIM is at the post office and I'll probably pick that up tomorrow, so by week's end I should hopefully know if I'll need to order a Venom or not.

Thanks again, I certainly hope my adapter does the trick.
« Last Edit: 01:41 AM - 02/16/08 by Juncti »

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01:01 PM - 02/17/08 »
While still waiting on my adapter to arrive, I've kept searching.

Check out this

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=32&catref=C6&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=ps2+ps3+adapter+controller&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&a14=-24&a6=-24&a10244=-24&alist=a14%2Ca6%2Ca51%2Ca10244%2Ca3801&pfmode=1&reqtype=1&gcs=1132&pfid=1621&pf_query=ps2+ps3+adapter+controller&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D3&sadis=200&fpos=Postcode&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2&fgtp=

Found 135 adapters on the UK Ebay site. Most of them look similar to the Venom. A USB plug, a box in the middle, then the PS2 adapter plug. I wonder if any of those would work. That seems to be the design in the UK.

Oh, and shipping rates are much cheaper. They're using something called Royal Air mail or something like that. Shipping to the US is much more reasonable that way.
« Last Edit: 01:02 PM - 02/17/08 by Juncti »

Admin