XIM Community

500M vs 1000M internet  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Amuro

• MVP
    • View Profile
500M vs 1000M internet
« on: 11:05 AM - 04/30/16 »
Just got FTTH  and I need some help deciding which service plan to go with.

I know I'm going either 500 or 1000M since 10G is definitely overkill and 300M is not much better than my current 200M downstream cable (although much better upstream speed).  The price different between 300 , 500 and 1000M is US$12.86 a month. 

A little background, I do some BT'ing, mostly US TV dramas; I game on PC and PS4 mainly (all my games are digital).  My current internet is cable 200M down and 10M up, shared by the whole building of 16 flats/apts, and it's been getting slower recently for some reason.  I guess more people have recently signed up for the cable service.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: 500M vs 1000M internet
« Reply #1 on: 11:46 AM - 04/30/16 »
go with 500 and a quality router
most of your congestion will come from your LAN environment anyhow so thats what you should focus on
apart from that the 200 line should play the same as the 500 line so id only upgrade if you need more download speed
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline Ryoga

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01:42 PM - 04/30/16 »
What's the upload on each of the download rates?

Offline Amuro

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:06 PM - 04/30/16 »
What's the upload on each of the download rates?
Same as the download rates. 

I have the  Netgear R8000 router that I bought in Dec 2014.  I know it's not my LAN because my speeds get back to what they used to be during early AM hours.  So I checked local WiFi networks broadcast with my cell to see if there're any new networks, and I spotted this new network with the same cable company initials and the signal was really strong, so it must have been the guy next door.
« Last Edit: 12:41 AM - 05/01/16 by Amuro »

Offline PhiZaRoaH

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: PhiZaRoaH
« Reply #4 on: 12:45 PM - 05/03/16 »
For those up and down speeds, I would push a toddler down. the fastest I can get where I am is 100 down & 5 up....yea 5 up. **** that.

Offline Ryoga

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02:53 PM - 05/03/16 »
s

No brainer, then. Get whatever you can afford. Just remember that you are alway in contention with the other users in the building, since the FTTH is servicing the whole building, not just you. The other bottleneck is the fibre optic hubs between the homes and the provider's exchange and the provider's exchange itself.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #6 on: 03:11 PM - 05/03/16 »
For those up and down speeds, I would push a toddler down. the fastest I can get where I am is 100 down & 5 up....yea 5 up. **** that.

5 up is still more than double the best internet connection I can get. Cable packages here in Oz peak at 2mbps up for no other reason than they want to lock our speeds down. That's only if we're willing to spend $30 more for the upgrade from the default 30 /1 cable plan to 120/2. The minimum speed required for a rudimentary video feed is around 5 up.

The exact same cable infrastructure (which the govt paid billions to decommission, then billions more to buy) rigged into the fibre-optic network that's been rolling out here for close to a decade will max out at 100 /40. I'm still waiting for the rollout and there's no sign of it on the horizon, despite living in the third largest city in Australia. And to top it off, it'll cost $100 a month for those pissy speeds...FFFFFFUUUUUUU

The government here says no-one in Australia needs more than 25/5, so we've got the sh!t version of the original gigabit FTTH National Broadband Network we were promised, which is nothing short of a national disgrace.

NBN is the largest infrastructure development in this country for decades and our politicians found a way, as they always do, to turn an 8 lane superhighway into a dirt road AND triple the original cost to go full FTTH nation-wide. Yaaaaay inadequacy!

So yeah...I'm a bit jelly hearing about cheap 500M vs 1G interwebs speeds when Australia managed to flush the whole thing down the toilet to protect the interest of ex-pat billionaire *cough* Rupert Murdoch *a$$hole* who bought a federal election to kill off the threat streaming media and specifically NetFlix posed to FoxTel's cable TV monopoly.
« Last Edit: 04:06 PM - 05/03/16 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Amuro

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:04 AM - 05/06/16 »
s

No brainer, then. Get whatever you can afford. Just remember that you are alway in contention with the other users in the building, since the FTTH is servicing the whole building, not just you. The other bottleneck is the fibre optic hubs between the homes and the provider's exchange and the provider's exchange itself.
I think I'm the only one in building that has signed up for it.  There's a $1000 installation cost because I'm living in a low density residential area.

Offline tails72

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03:23 AM - 05/06/16 »
Cut the cables of the other people in your building

Offline Amuro

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09:18 AM - 05/14/16 »
I went with the 500M plan. Now, I have question regarding Wireless AC link speed and actual internet download speed.

If I connect my computer directly to the router wired I get 450-480+ Mbps for both down and up with the IPTV running at the same time.  The desktop in my room connects via Wireless AC with a link sped between 702-866 Mbps, which I thought should be enough for 500M internet, but I'm only getting 380-419 Mbps in speedtest.  Why is that?? 
« Last Edit: 09:25 AM - 05/14/16 by Amuro »

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #10 on: 02:56 PM - 05/14/16 »
I went with the 500M plan. Now, I have question regarding Wireless AC link speed and actual internet download speed.

If I connect my computer directly to the router wired I get 450-480+ Mbps for both down and up with the IPTV running at the same time.  The desktop in my room connects via Wireless AC with a link sped between 702-866 Mbps, which I thought should be enough for 500M internet, but I'm only getting 380-419 Mbps in speedtest.  Why is that??

Lab-tested max speeds don't apply in the real world, so it's marketing BS. It's kinda like how HDDs are advertised as 1000GB when you can really only access 850GB of it.

You'll never get the absolute capacity of a wireless connection. It's a theoretical maximum that can't factor in your environment (signal strength, microwaves, walls, competing devices, channels, networks etc).

The same applies to gigabit ethernet too - it has less environmental concerns (except for cable quality and length), but you'll never hit the full throughput.

Think of it instead as the maximum bandwidth available to all devices on your network rather than throughput to one device. 400Mbit over wireless is still super-quick, but at half the advertised speed, it feels underwhelming.

As it applies to gaming, forget speed and throughput, it's largely irrelevant unless you're streaming games over PS Now or a similar service. What you want to test is ping and jitter - use Pingplotter for that.
« Last Edit: 02:36 PM - 05/16/16 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline PointBlankShot

• Xbox One X > PS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09:03 AM - 05/16/16 »

I would kick a toddlers teeth in for those speeds :) hehe. i am evil.
Xbox One X + Orbweaver + G502 + XIM4/APEX

Admin