Should I do more?

Yes, yes!  Oh GOD YES, DO MORE!
19 (76%)
No thanks, I'll live.
0 (0%)
Only if pie is involved.
6 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 25

The XIM2 video prospective buyers have been waiting for!  (Read 4810 times)

Offline 1nfinitum

• View Profile
ALAS!  I've done it!

CoD4 footage in 720p (or close to it) on YOUTUBE of all things :)

http://www.youtube.com/v/M9SU01_KINQ&hl=en&fs=1&ap=%2526fmt%3D22

Update #43: Overall, YouTube pulled off better quality in the videos, and I'll be using it from now on.  Also it didn't double the time of my video and play the sound over again to a still picture!  Yay!..?
« Last Edit: 01:42 AM - 12/04/08 by 1nfinitum »

Offline Xevin

• View Profile
Re: The XIM2 video prospective buyers have been waiting for!
« Reply #1 on: 11:52 PM - 12/03/08 »
I freeking LOVE the PIP of your mousing. It makes all the video mean SOOOO much more. It really answered a few long standing questions I've had about the XIM2. I would very much like to see more COD4 footage. Any of the desert levels in multiplayer would be fantastic! I play COD4 on the PC a ton, so I can relate to it much easier then Halo 3. I can't wait to finally get a XIM2 and mop the floor with all my friends in Halo 3. They laughed at my utter lack of controller skills, but they will suffer the wrath of my mousing!!!

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 12:07 AM - 12/04/08 »
I agree about the PIP! Awesome video!
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline 1nfinitum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:23 AM - 12/04/08 »
Thanks for the feedback :)  I'm going to try and perfect the 720p technique used in the YouTube video down there..  But at the moment it's a tough one to edit the M2TS files in Vegas so if OMGsus ever decides to get online he can tell me what he does or what he uses to edit the M2TS files.  Also compression is horrible and takes FOREVER.  Gotta ask him what codec he uses and his settings.

(If you're reading this, hurry up and contact me man, I've been dying to talk to you so I can get past these limitations.  It's a real pain, I had to edit the majority of that video with the HD track invisible just so it wouldn't crash vegas :()

http://www.youtube.com/v/aUyyx6qiEfI&hl=en&fs=1&ap=%2526fmt%3D22

Offline PhilAshio

• MVP
  • Troll in the Mist, 4fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01:39 AM - 12/04/08 »
Wouldn't have noticed the PIP if it wasn't mentioned, that's pretty awesome. The quality of the videos is great as well.

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02:16 AM - 12/04/08 »
I'd recommend one of two things.

A) Find a way to put a hacked copy of OS X on your machine so you can run Final Cut Pro.
B) Edit with Avid instead.

Either of those solutions is better than using the crap Sony software...both are more industry "standard" in terms of NLEs.

Offline 1nfinitum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02:25 AM - 12/04/08 »
I actually like Vegas, and its the only editing software that will open M2TS from what I hear.  Adobe wont, and if Final Cut Pro was made with any logic, then it wont either.  Furthermore, unfortunately the HD PVR can only capture in M2TS or TS, both of which are $ony file formats.  And to my knowledge it only runs on windows.

Converting is a lengthy process for HD videos (just converting the 29sec video above took about seven and a half minutes.  I'll likely be working with LOTS of video and batch converting it all will take hours and hours if not days.  So I'd like to be able to stick with the dumps it makes, unless I can find a third party software able to make dumps in a different format (VLC/VDub/Dscaler, none of these work.)  I'm going to have to stick with Vegas for the time being :(

EDIT:  Just looked it up.  Looks like Avid has no support for M2TS files. :(

Offline Jesuslegs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08:06 AM - 12/04/08 »
Cool.

Is it possible for someone to aim in hexagons, traingles, figure 8's, circles, squares, etc all in one video one after the other? This would be a way of demonstrating tracking and aiming I guess.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09:10 AM - 12/04/08 »
  Also compression is horrible and takes FOREVER. 
http://www.youtube.com/v/aUyyx6qiEfI&hl=en&fs=1&ap=%2526fmt%3D22

This can take a while, on my quad it's takes a while for 1080P video for 30 minutes. On my supercomputer (well, it's a mini super computer has 20 cores in it with 20 gigs of ram from a company called TYAN) that thing will rip 1080p hour video in less time that it takes to get a glass a water and take a leak (I know, ive timed it hehe) but a regular quad core will be substantially more time. You can always set up a server farm using a bunch of mixed machines within server 2003 to handle the task as well, which will be pretty snappy as well. Yes, I realize most people cannot do this, but anyone with a few computers that are older laying around could get a 180 trial of 2003 or 08 server and do it themselves. As you get more machines, you simply drop them into the farm and make them part of the pool to increase the speed.

If anyone is interested on what codecs to use, how to set it up etc it's really quite fun and you learn alot in the process. You don't need super powered computers either, if you have a single core p4 laying around with 512 ram (something around 2+ ghz) and you got a couple of them you can do it easy.

On a last note, nice video - I really intended something like that, but once my drive array failed I lost 85% of all the video I made, and past photos and videos and other documents that put my current research very very behind and I have still not recovered yet. This video is GREAT, I really like the overhead and I am glad the xim community is coming together and demonstrating this. I promised a video and sadly I could not deliver and I apologize for that. This is awesome, keep it up!

Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline miraged

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11:21 AM - 12/04/08 »
I'd recommend one of two things.

A) Find a way to put a hacked copy of OS X on your machine so you can run Final Cut Pro.
B) Edit with Avid instead.

Either of those solutions is better than using the crap Sony software...both are more industry "standard" in terms of NLEs.

Both may be great but you have to compare what you want really need. Nobody would get Photoshop just to remove red eyes...

Same here, nobody really needs FCP or Avid just to cut/edit a simple XIM2 demonstration clip, thats pretty over the top. Also most likely he doesnt have Avid/or even OSX and the time hes gonna spend learning them (or even getting them to run first) is better invested in a common video editor. (Avid isnt really intuitive from its handling, I really hated it and FCP is quite nice but the countless hours you spend on getting a Hackintosh running are better invested in for example Adobe Premiere CS4, it will just faster bring you the same/similiar results)

I actually like Vegas, and its the only editing software that will open M2TS from what I hear.  Adobe wont, and if Final Cut Pro was made with any logic, then it wont either.  Furthermore, unfortunately the HD PVR can only capture in M2TS or TS, both of which are $ony file formats.  And to my knowledge it only runs on windows.

Converting is a lengthy process for HD videos (just converting the 29sec video above took about seven and a half minutes.  I'll likely be working with LOTS of video and batch converting it all will take hours and hours if not days.  So I'd like to be able to stick with the dumps it makes, unless I can find a third party software able to make dumps in a different format (VLC/VDub/Dscaler, none of these work.)  I'm going to have to stick with Vegas for the time being :(

So you got the Hauppauge HD PVP,if I am not wrong the new Adobe Premiere CS4 supports .ts finally.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WS01FCC81E-8CF6-437a-AAD7-A2D8F9175BF0a.html

I dont have CS4 otherwise I would have tested it.

Do you use any special settings for the youtube uploads? I recently uploaded a 720p testclick to youtube but it was displayed in 4:3 and looked like @#$%.

And your uploads with hd settings look quite awesome (never thought I would say  that about youtube).
« Last Edit: 11:26 AM - 12/04/08 by miraged »

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11:32 AM - 12/04/08 »
My bad, I thought you got a better HD capture card.  Sorry! ^^

Offline miraged

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12:04 PM - 12/04/08 »
Better than 1080i, eh yeah right ;)!?

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01:19 PM - 12/04/08 »
I'm going to add this to the top of the video sticky.

Could you do another one? Perhaps a whole level or something? Would be nice to have a longer one showing more interaction.

I've been planning on trying to do this for a while but haven't pulled it off yet, so great work.

Offline 1nfinitum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05:15 PM - 12/04/08 »
No problem!  Thanks for all the support guys!  I'm going to see if I can find a trial of Adobe Premiere CS4 and if it can handle TS files with finesse (very much unlike Vegas) then I'll start learning it for future videos.

Also, Jesuslegs brings up a great point.  I'm not going to go ahead right away and make a long video of a whole level or something like that.  People don't like watching long, boring vids.  They want to spend a minute or two, five tops if it's really interesting, you know what I mean?  So I'm going to try and go more for quantity than length so there's more of a selection instead of just a few long clips of the same thing.

But I think the next thing I'll do is record myself doing my best to make a circle, square, etc. it seems like a good idea and it shouldn't take too long.  I'll get started on it right away, so expect some updates soon! :)

EDIT:  Sorry I forgot to mention, somebody had asked about the settings I used for YouTube.  That particular file was actually just 1280x720 video compressed in Divx (actually at 9000kbps since it was so short, it only came out to about 30 megs.)  You have to make sure you add &fmt=22 onto the end of the video URL though or it wont come out in HD (&fmt=22 forces the highest resolution YouTube has of that video to be streamed, which in some cases is even higher than their "Click to watch in High Quality" link.)
« Last Edit: 05:32 PM - 12/04/08 by 1nfinitum »

Offline DrCube

• PC > Console
    • View Profile
    • Tass Times in Game Land
« Reply #14 on: 07:54 PM - 12/04/08 »
Excellent work. Thanks for putting this together. More please.