XIM Community

Do mouse settings have any effect?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline PhilAshio

• MVP
  • Troll in the Mist, 4fun
    • View Profile
Do mouse settings have any effect?
« on: 05:31 PM - 12/09/08 »
You know how in the system control panel under mouse there are hardware\advanced settings? Do those have any effect on how your mouse functions through XIM?

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: Do mouse settings have any effect?
« Reply #1 on: 11:53 PM - 12/09/08 »
That is an excellent question. Unfortunately, it's hard to answer as I've been unable to find any information about it. Just from trying it out (i.e. mouse acceleration all the way low, and then all the way high), the seemingly same mouse velocity equates to the same stick position on the visualization. But, I don't have SetPoint (Logitech) installed, so, I don't know where that app is plugged into the stack. To be safe, you can always move acceleration to middle and turn off pointer enhancement.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Tonester

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: EpicNerd
  • PSN ID: A_McCulley
« Reply #2 on: 11:13 AM - 12/10/08 »
My testing seems to indicate that the OS mouse settings are completely independent of what it translates to in the XIM software.

I also have the Setpoint software installed and nothing seems to make a difference other than DPI... and I'm not even sure if that does :)

Offline nacitar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02:54 PM - 12/10/08 »
You can also run the CPL Mouse Fix (google is your friend) to finish killing XP's acceleration.

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:51 PM - 12/10/08 »
you can set custom DPIs in the setpoint software, so I'm unsure why the other settings wouldn't have an effect through the xim software.  However, I've kept accel to off at all times.

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05:34 PM - 12/10/08 »
I can confirm that having acceleration on in Vista via SetPoint does, indeed, have an effect on the way things handle in game with the XIM2. I was having a hell of a time getting a good config for halo and finally realized that I could turn it off.

XIM2 was combating in-game acceleration and my SetPoint software was throwing it right back into the equation.  Definitely turn it off.

http://xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=1306.0

Offline Tonester

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: EpicNerd
  • PSN ID: A_McCulley
« Reply #6 on: 09:35 PM - 12/10/08 »
Ah, maybe I never realized it because I've always had acceleration off.  In terms of sensitivity, however, I know for a fact it has no bearing on ingame XIM2 sensitivity.  If it does, I can't tell at all.