XIM Community

XIM3 DeadZoner  (Read 17289 times)

Offline kodek64

• MVP
    • View Profile
XIM3 DeadZoner
« on: 04:31 PM - 10/05/11 »
XIM3 DeadZoner Build 929

This app allows one to find a game's stick dead zone size and shape for easily setting up standard configs (those that lack smart translators).

The app is very similar to OBsIV's XIM2 Dead Zoner, but it has a few extra features to make finding dead zones a quicker process:

- Dead Zone wizard: Allows one to set a stick angle, and after answering a few prompts, find the magnitude of the dead zone vector in that direction. This is the quickest way of finding a dead zone, as it requires the least amount of trial and error.
 - Stick circle spinning mode: Helps the user find out if a dead zone is circular or rectangular by rotating any specific vector around the origin. Circular dead zones will display screen movement throughout the entire turn, while non-circular (usually rectangular) dead zones will exhibit erroneous movements near the diagonals.
 - Direct stick input: Allows the user to input specific vectors instead of having to find them through trial-and-error by moving the current stick position around the graph. This is very helpful for checking a dead zone size around one axis after finding the other axis's dead zone with the wizard.

Note: This application is BETA and may contain some bugs!

Requires build 928 of XIM firmware and SDK.

Instructions:

- Download the app attached to this post. Extract to a folder.
 - Download the SDK (version 928) from the official thread.
 - Download and install the .NET Framework 4 runtime (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17718)
 - Copy XIMBridge.dll to the same folder XIM3DeadZoner.exe was extracted to.
 - Run the app!

« Last Edit: 12:51 PM - 10/07/11 by kodek64 »
XIM Sensitivity Calculator!
http://xim3-app.heroku.com/

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: XIM3 DeadZoner
« Reply #1 on: 04:47 PM - 10/05/11 »
good job kodek :)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07:39 PM - 10/05/11 »
Great app.
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline BlessUp

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09:26 PM - 10/05/11 »
nice work kodek!

Offline Fatal 0Efx

• MVP
  • Who's dirty?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Fatal 0Efx
« Reply #4 on: 09:40 PM - 10/05/11 »
OK.. how on earth do you use this thing?!  LOL.

I'm trying to make a STD config for Rage and I'm baffled here.  What is the proper way to use this tool?

I opened it up, connected, and hit wizard.  Immediately my screen started moving.  I answered the prompts and ended up with a DZ of 6554.  But that was on the X axis.  If I set it to 6554 on the Y axis and 0 for X, I get movement on that access.  Anything lower and no movement.

So I thought I had my DZ.  Turns out when I move at the diagonal I get movement long before the x/y intersect, leading me to believe it is a circle deadzone but here is where I get lost.

I set my XIM config to 6554 dz, with a -0.45 accel, but things feel flat out wonky.  If I set to a circle DZ, I don't get smooth circles.  If I set to square I get a diamond shaped movement.

Worse, if I start playing with the DZ on the XIM itself, it doesn't matter what I set it to.  I get movement with a DZ of 0.  Even more troublesome, if I set DZ to 0 - sq, my movement feels more like a circle than the reported DZ of 6554 - circle.

What am I doing wrong?

On a side note, what preparations on the XIM itself need to be done prior to running this program?  Do I need to start out with specific values?  Does loading a profile on the XIM have any bearing on the DZ app?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:38 PM - 10/05/11 »
Create multiple points when running deadzoner where movement occurs, verify it's a circle. Set your deadzone number and shape in your standard config and read the xim3 standard config guide.

http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=13332.0

Now keep in mind you may never see perfect circles with standard configs, but the X and Y axis should feel acceptable.

Offline Fatal 0Efx

• MVP
  • Who's dirty?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Fatal 0Efx
« Reply #6 on: 11:16 PM - 10/05/11 »
I actually have read that guide but I still don't get it.  What value do I actually set as my deadzone?  I don't get movement on the X axis (Y = 0) until 6554 per the app.  Same with X=0, Y = 6554.  But when I go out at an angle, I'll get movement with combinations of less than 6554, e.g. X=5000, Y=5000 (just an example as I don't have exact numbers yet).

So what is my DZ here?  Is my DZ value only what I get with strict X or Y movement?  Are the other points simply to verify zone type?

Also, for the tutorial, what am I supposed to "start" with, in terms of XIM config and mouse DPI?  What are my base values?

In the tutorial, setting the sensitivity is the last thing you do, but you have to start with something.  I'm finding I get completely different results with the other tuning parameters depending on what my starting values are for other knobs and/or mouse itself. 

Offline kodek64

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12:26 AM - 10/07/11 »
I actually have read that guide but I still don't get it.  What value do I actually set as my deadzone?  I don't get movement on the X axis (Y = 0) until 6554 per the app.  Same with X=0, Y = 6554.  But when I go out at an angle, I'll get movement with combinations of less than 6554, e.g. X=5000, Y=5000 (just an example as I don't have exact numbers yet).

So what is my DZ here?  Is my DZ value only what I get with strict X or Y movement?  Are the other points simply to verify zone type?

Your dead zone would be 6554. I'm guessing the dead zone is circular, as you're saying the X and Y components are less than 6554 when moving diagonally. If it's a perfectly circular dead zone, you can use the distance formula to see if it's not too far from 6554: sqrt(x^2 + y^2). You should hopefully get a value close to 6554 which means that the dead zone is 6554 points around the origin.

Once you have your dead zone set, you can go onto setting up your acceleration, diagonal dampening, etc..., but I'm not the person to ask. :)

If I were to do it, though, I'd set my sensitivity to something close to what my other games use, then set the acceleration value while moving left and right. Once that's set, I'd try setting the Y-X ratio so you can make perfect circles. I don't think diagonal dampening applies to circular dead zones, so you might luck out on this one.

Good luck!

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12:50 AM - 10/07/11 »

Also, for the tutorial, what am I supposed to "start" with, in terms of XIM config and mouse DPI?  What are my base values?

In the tutorial, setting the sensitivity is the last thing you do, but you have to start with something.  I'm finding I get completely different results with the other tuning parameters depending on what my starting values are for other knobs and/or mouse itself.
it could just be me reading this wrong, or you being iffy on the wording (not really, that's my nice way of saying that from what you've written) t sounds like a sounds like a square deadzone. see if it doesn't play better with a DZ of 6554 and a diagonal dampening of 0.21 and use whatever YX ratio you prefer for the game. typically 1.5 1.75 or 2.0 being popular (the latter two most popular)
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%

Offline kodek64

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03:09 AM - 10/07/11 »

it could just be me reading this wrong, or you being iffy on the wording (not really, that's my nice way of saying that from what you've written) t sounds like a sounds like a square deadzone. see if it doesn't play better with a DZ of 6554 and a diagonal dampening of 0.21 and use whatever YX ratio you prefer for the game. typically 1.5 1.75 or 2.0 being popular (the latter two most popular)

I'm sorry, but if he states that the game has movement within the square dead zone, then it's clearly not square. This doesn't mean it's circular, though, but it very well could be. In that case (as I said in my previous message), I believe diagonal dampening does not apply.

I agree with the YX ratios, though. Those seem to be very popular values.

Offline ICEMAN

• Team EWIX - Founder
    • View Profile
    • Team Ewix
  • Gamertag: IceMan40
  • PSN ID: xxIceMan40xx
« Reply #10 on: 06:34 AM - 10/07/11 »
I have no clue how I am suppose to use this app to determine the deadzone size. All I get is a window with a list of repeating numbers. Is the repeating number my deadzone? Is there any way we can get a "dummy's" guide made for utilizing this app? I think many people, myself included, would probably find this app very useful if we could understand how to properly use it.
XBOX One Gaming Setup:
XIM4E :: ASUS VG248QE Monitor :: Razer Naga 5700dpi :: Logitech G13 Gamepad :: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Gaming Keyboard

Streaming/Recording Setup:
15-inch: 2.3GHz MacBook Pro with Retina display :: Wirecast 5.0 Studio :: Blue Yeti Microphone :: Logitech C920 WebCam :: Black Magic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt :: Atlona AT-HD550 HDMI Up/Down Scaler/Convertor :: Sewell Direct SW-23500 HDMI Splitter :: Avermedia ExtremeCap U3

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09:35 AM - 10/07/11 »
Deadzoner shows the deadzone as a square with rounded corners.

I have no clue how I am suppose to use this app to determine the deadzone size. All I get is a window with a list of repeating numbers. Is the repeating number my deadzone? Is there any way we can get a "dummy's" guide made for utilizing this app? I think many people, myself included, would probably find this app very useful if we could understand how to properly use it.

Click the wizard button if you can't do it manually.

Offline ICEMAN

• Team EWIX - Founder
    • View Profile
    • Team Ewix
  • Gamertag: IceMan40
  • PSN ID: xxIceMan40xx
« Reply #12 on: 12:39 PM - 10/07/11 »
I must be missing something. I don't see a "Wizard" button or or menu for that matter. All I see is this window and the window starts populating with values.

|   _________________________    |
|  |  64                                           |    |
|  |  63.5                                        |    |
|  |                                                 |    |
|   ----------------------------------------    |
|                                 Alt-Esc to exit   |
-----------------------------------------------

XBOX One Gaming Setup:
XIM4E :: ASUS VG248QE Monitor :: Razer Naga 5700dpi :: Logitech G13 Gamepad :: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Gaming Keyboard

Streaming/Recording Setup:
15-inch: 2.3GHz MacBook Pro with Retina display :: Wirecast 5.0 Studio :: Blue Yeti Microphone :: Logitech C920 WebCam :: Black Magic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt :: Atlona AT-HD550 HDMI Up/Down Scaler/Convertor :: Sewell Direct SW-23500 HDMI Splitter :: Avermedia ExtremeCap U3

Offline tuffrabit

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
« Reply #13 on: 12:43 PM - 10/07/11 »
I must be missing something. I don't see a "Wizard" button or or menu for that matter. All I see is this window and the window starts populating with values.

What version of Windows you running fella?  That's a funny looking screen shot.

XIM4 Anti Aim-assist curve: http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=31309.msg400143#msg400143
All you ever wanted to know about headsets and chat for the 360: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=16461.0

Offline kodek64

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12:50 PM - 10/07/11 »

Hasn't anybody else caught this yet? I posted the wrong application :)
Sorry about that. Let me fix that really quick.

Edit: Fixed! Try again! Sorry about that.