XIM Community

why deadzone?  (Read 7622 times)

Offline gregory10913

• View Profile
why deadzone?
« on: 07:21 PM - 12/03/08 »
So a deadzone is basically this little shape that you have to move past until your mouse starts to move? so with a large deadzone, microscopic movements of the mouse wouldn't register right? so why would you WANT to create a deadzone at all? i'm sure there's some obvious answer, but i can't find it.

Offline derektm

• View Profile
    • Derektm.com
Re: why deadzone?
« Reply #1 on: 11:15 PM - 12/03/08 »
So a deadzone is basically this little shape that you have to move past until your mouse starts to move? so with a large deadzone, microscopic movements of the mouse wouldn't register right? so why would you WANT to create a deadzone at all? i'm sure there's some obvious answer, but i can't find it.

All games have deadzone. This is the area at which movement begins from the center of the joystick. Deadzone is a must because otherwise you would experience movement in your games from just resting your fingers on the joystick or it just being a bit off center from the factory (joysticks are analog and not perfect, none of them are perfectly centered).

You will notice that you can move the joystick a certain amount before movement actually occurs in the game. It will vary from game to game. When people talk about deadzone on XIM, they are talking about finding where the deadzone starts for a particular game, so that when you start moving your mouse, your joystick movement is actually starting right at the point of movement. Otherwise, you would have to move your mouse faster one way or the other to overcome the deadzone of the game.

Hope that explains it well enough.

Offline slayersteve

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: x SLAYER Steve
« Reply #2 on: 07:12 PM - 12/04/08 »
So is there a chart somewhere that has all the deadzones mapped out for each game for each system? based on this explanation, the deadzone is game-dependent and not mouse-dependent, correct?
Found this link in another thread -
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2070/ximconfigurationsjr0.jpg
but the same game has different deadzones (5 for Halo3, 4 for COD4, for example.)

Offline derektm

• View Profile
    • Derektm.com
« Reply #3 on: 10:28 PM - 12/04/08 »
So is there a chart somewhere that has all the deadzones mapped out for each game for each system? based on this explanation, the deadzone is game-dependent and not mouse-dependent, correct?
Found this link in another thread -
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2070/ximconfigurationsjr0.jpg
but the same game has different deadzones (5 for Halo3, 4 for COD4, for example.)

You can look at the configs people have posted in the configs section. Yes, it is game dependent.

Offline slayersteve

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:28 PM - 12/04/08 »
You can look at the configs people have posted in the configs section. Yes, it is game dependent.
I have looked at them, the deadzones folks are putting in are all over the map - I've seen deadzones for COD5 ranging from 6 to 21. If the deadzone is game-dependent, it should be the same for whatever game. I get that the sens and trans and a couple others are tweaked "to taste", as it were, but deadzone is what it is and shouldn't be varying on configs for the same game based on the explanations here.
So, which one is "right"?
Specifically what is the right deadzone for COD5, Halo3, BIA:HH and GoW2?
Is there a util I can use to determine it myself?

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:01 AM - 12/05/08 »
gives you a different feel.
keep in mind that people are using all kinds of input devices. MX518's G5's G9's razor's. that's what just pops up alot. Using the same configs with different mice, even when set to the same DPI - its still different.

ever used a REALLY high dpi mouse when you have no need too? i mean dpi so high the mouse jitters at rest simply being near the computer. deadzone helps that too. ;)
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%

Offline derek242

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08:23 AM - 12/05/08 »
Whats the difference between Mouse deadzone, and  deadzone?

Offline derektm

• View Profile
    • Derektm.com
« Reply #7 on: 09:44 AM - 12/05/08 »
I have looked at them, the deadzones folks are putting in are all over the map - I've seen deadzones for COD5 ranging from 6 to 21. If the deadzone is game-dependent, it should be the same for whatever game. I get that the sens and trans and a couple others are tweaked "to taste", as it were, but deadzone is what it is and shouldn't be varying on configs for the same game based on the explanations here.
So, which one is "right"?
Specifically what is the right deadzone for COD5, Halo3, BIA:HH and GoW2?
Is there a util I can use to determine it myself?

Whats right is what feels best to you. Instead of asking so much about whats "right", start trying different values until you get what feels "right" to you.  ;)

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:19 AM - 12/05/08 »
Deadzones are a much debated discussion and a lengthy one at that. The reason you see such wide variances of deadzone is determined by different feels and tightness desired from a player. For myself, I set to the deadzone so that when I make the tiniest of movements that it will register. Some feel this is awesome some feel they want a larger deadzone to help with precision aiming on games like Halo 3. Ding Chavez has a config that he feels works for him, I have tried it and I think it's pretty good. I prefer a slightly tighter deadzone, but he explains WHY he wanted it that way to help out with site lurch (looking that jumps suddenly) and lessen the jerkiness. This was for Xim 360 and not Xim 1, but concept is the same.

My suggestion is start with some of the configs, such as my config, ubernoober config, ding chavez, tonester and others and figure out what YOU like. When you find something, then you can make adjustments to it and make it your own. That is the fun of xim!
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline slayersteve

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05:37 PM - 12/09/08 »
Whats right is what feels best to you. Instead of asking so much about whats "right", start trying different values until you get what feels "right" to you.  ;)
XIM2/XIM360 has a deadzone finder. Obviously there is a reason for it - games have specific deadzones.
Why can't I get a straight answer here? A game's deadzone is what it is, so what is it??? I would just like to know that.
IF you don't really know what it should be, that's totally fine, please just say that, it's an acceptable answer. I'm stumbling about blindly right now, which is fine, it is kind of fun, but I'd like to get this done and if some of these values should be "base-lined" I'd like to know them.... please? pretty please?

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12:45 AM - 12/10/08 »
If you use Ximdeadzoner, you can find the "exact" size and shape by mapping it out within Ximdeadzoner. That will tell you what it is. This can be used in many different ways, going larger or smaller to get different "feels" which is why you see varied settings around. It's what the people want. I set a config for myself, and I share it with others. They may say "Hey man that's great" or they may say "This is not for me at all" which is fine. Everyone has a sweet spot they like and that's that.

Why does a hotdog with relish and onions and mustard sound so good right now, it's 10:45pm at night and I am hungry. Yet I just ate 2 hours ago? What gives!
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline slayersteve

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09:55 AM - 12/10/08 »
If you use Ximdeadzoner, you can find the "exact" size and shape by mapping it out within Ximdeadzoner. That will tell you what it is. This can be used in many different ways, going larger or smaller to get different "feels" which is why you see varied settings around. It's what the people want. I set a config for myself, and I share it with others. They may say "Hey man that's great" or they may say "This is not for me at all" which is fine. Everyone has a sweet spot they like and that's that.

Why does a hotdog with relish and onions and mustard sound so good right now, it's 10:45pm at night and I am hungry. Yet I just ate 2 hours ago? What gives!

I thought ximdeadzoner was for XIM360 only.
Everything I've read indicates that. (has to do with higher res for 360 apparently) Has anyone rewritten it for XIM1 yet?