XIM Community

I bought a new Blu Ray player  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
I bought a new Blu Ray player
« on: 05:30 PM - 11/24/08 »
I wanted three main things out of my blu ray player:

1)Ability to play DIVX files.

2)Wireless internet capability.

3)Blu Ray 2.0 capability.

I did some research (very little actually...but enough) and the only solution I could find was the Playstation 3.  I couldn't find a blu ray player with wireless internet capability and even if it does exist, it probably costs alot more than a playstation 3.  Oh...and the playstation 3 can apparently play video games or somethin'.  Not sure I'd use that extra feature of my new blu ray player.  Maybe.

CONS:  Have to buy a remote for it because I don't want to have to use a controller to navigate my movie menus and whatnot and I'm sure my family doesn't want to have to do that either.

Doesn't include an HDMI cable.  Not a huge deal.  I already have some HDMI cables that DirecTV gave me when I got my HD tuners.  I got 3 of them and only have one TV with HDMI.  The others are hooked up via RGB component.  So I'm good there.  Also, most if not all of the blu ray players I looked at didn't come with HDMI cables either.  No idea why.  But oh well. 

So...it looks like I may have a reason to hang on to my XIM 1 anyway.  I seriously doubt I'd buy an FPS game for the PS3 unless it was something I just HAD to have and was exclusive to the PS3.  I don't see that happening any time soon.  If it does, I'll be ready though ;)

Now I'm just going to wait to see if the PS3 ever integrates that elusive DVR capability that they've been talking about for years now.  We'll see...

Offline SkItZo

• View Profile
Re: I bought a new Blu Ray player
« Reply #1 on: 11:34 AM - 11/26/08 »
Well the PS3 is getting play TV soon (May already be out in the US) which allows you to record free to air tv onto it, as far as FPS go, get KILLZONE 2 (Works AMAZINGLY well with the XIM from the little amount of time i have been able to test it) which is out in feb next year. Also, check out MGS4 & Resistance 2.
I have to say i LOVE my PS3. Makes an amazing media centre. The wireless connection leaves a little to be desired, wish it was 802.11n capable...But other than that, its awesome

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08:47 PM - 11/26/08 »
yeah i'm probably not getting any games for it..just movies

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:32 PM - 11/26/08 »
yeah i'm probably not getting any games for it..just movies

I couldn't find a blu ray player with wireless internet capability and even if it does exist, it probably costs alot more than a playstation 3

You will break down and start getting games for it.

I am in this same position, I have a blu ray player in my PC for my media center, but now I want one for the living room. Ps3 is the way to go, PC is a PAIN IN THE @#$% especially when you have to have HDCP crap and DRM crap and protected HDMI signal from the VIDEO CARD. Yes, that's right sound from a video card, I should say a pass through from the blu ray player to the card out the back to the sound system THEN you have to have a blu ray capable reciever to get the stupid signal. I made it work, but I tell you what I should have just done PS3 and said @#$% it. Now im pissed off just thinking about it. Thanks alot crackhead, lol jk.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07:53 PM - 11/30/08 »
@#$% this reminds me..I better make sure I have an HDMI cable for my ps3....
I know I have my directv hooked up via hdmi and I don't need to since I don't get any 1080p stuff over directv so i could just hook that up component and hook up the ps3 via hdmi.  w3rd

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12:06 AM - 12/01/08 »
i could just hook that up component

3wwwwwwwwwww. Component, that's totally FTL and not FTW. But, if you had a choice, ps3 on hdmi is the way to go, as long as you can output the right signal (PCM) via HDMI, you should be ok. That stupid protected HDCP protection is a pain in my @#$%.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline GrayFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12:33 AM - 12/01/08 »
Well the PS3 is getting play TV soon (May already be out in the US) which allows you to record free to air tv onto it, as far as FPS go, get KILLZONE 2 (Works AMAZINGLY well with the XIM from the little amount of time i have been able to test it) which is out in feb next year. Also, check out MGS4 & Resistance 2.
I have to say i LOVE my PS3. Makes an amazing media centre. The wireless connection leaves a little to be desired, wish it was 802.11n capable...But other than that, its awesome

Thank you,thank you,thank you.That's exactly why i purchased my XIM today was just for that game and while i will use it with COD4 just looking at Killzone vids (I'm not in beta :(. ) makes me mouth water so hearing that this works great for that game is awesome!.
PS3 Gamer

Offline bill16504

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06:04 PM - 01/04/09 »
I'm in with you guys. I have a PS3 which is doing nothing buy collecting dust. But it'll be another story when Killzone 2 comes out next month. I wasn't in the beta, but did watch some hi res vids and that game just looks incredible.

Offline Relys

• MVP
  • Master of Computer Science
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Relys
  • PSN ID: Relys
« Reply #8 on: 06:29 PM - 01/05/09 »
I bought it for blu-ray too. (Well my father did, he loves movies).

The PS3 is still the best blu-ray player.

Get Metal Gear Solid 4, LittleBigPlanet, and Uncharted: Drakes Fortune. They're all really good games worthy of playing.
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.