XIM Community

Introducing XIM2 "XFlex"! The XIM team's solution to lengthy installs!  (Read 28755 times)

Offline miraged

• View Profile
Instead you could just have ordered a DIY and found someone who solders it for you ... story over.

I've been waiting at least the same time if not even much longer, so what? When will people get this is just a thing some people do in their freetime and something a company with millions, heck I dont say everything went perfectly but I am pretty sure this whole thing is a big trial and error for the dev team too so it simply wont work just like you want it ...

technogiant

Instead you could just have ordered a DIY and found someone who solders it for you ... story over.

I've been waiting at least the same time if not even much longer, so what? When will people get this is just a thing some people do in their freetime and something a company with millions, heck I dont say everything went perfectly but I am pretty sure this whole thing is a big trial and error for the dev team too so it simply wont work just like you want it ...

Firstly I don't know anyone with the skills to do it. Secondly as we were told a prebuilts run was going to follow then I was happy to and was waiting in line for that.

I'm not sure I understand what your second point is...I'm fully aware that xim2 was being developed in peoples free time and the prebuilts were going to be ready when they were.

The situation has changed now as they are working in collaboration with a large company.
I'm not sure what has changed as a result....is the company going to mass produce prebuilt units or are they just going to make the diy kits in the new flexi form?

If it's the latter then why has the "queue" been disgarded....many people including myself will still want a prebuilt unit.
« Last Edit: 11:36 AM - 11/23/08 by technogiant »

Offline Cameron3395

• View Profile

Firstly I don't know anyone with the skills to do it. Secondly as we were told a prebuilts run was going to follow then I was happy to and was waiting in line for that.

I'm not sure I understand what your second point is...I'm fully aware that xim2 was being developed in peoples free time and the prebuilts were going to be ready when they were.

The situation has changed now as they are working in collaboration with a large company.
I'm not sure what has changed as a result....is the company going to mass produce prebuilt units or are they just going to make the diy kits in the new flexi form?

Point is that they had to change the board which in turn changed the timing for the prebuilts.  I've been waiting since March but I'm not crying like a baby.  Get out and enjoy the outdoors unless you're afraid you'll lose your pocket protector.

Offline Snow

• Master of Radiation
    • View Profile
Techno, the thing is, the big factor (for there not being any second batches of pre-builts as Derek wanted or even another round of DIY kits) was the time it took per install for the old design. If Derek stuck with the old design, it would still be a while before pre-builts could come out in a timely manner. The second run got kaiboshed for a better installation solution. As Derek stated, this install takes 5 min. That means the option for DIY should be open again AND when pre-builts become available - they should be smokin out the door. With the older design, unless Derek is super soldering man, I can't see any more than 12 a day, based on speed, but also with personal life and responsibilities. Not to mention, as soon as he starts shipping - that takes time away as well.

There's also many companies that do flex pcb design, so there should be no problem getting these manufactured quick. Yes it sucked to have waited. I hear you. However, now, you have a better design. Even, something you can install yourself - it doesn't look as difficult as the old design is. And, because of the faster install time, the more pre-builts will be sold. So, there really doesn't need to be a seniority list. Even, if you were on the top of the list, I think that most would be able to order by the time they started being sold anyway.

So, chin up, this design was the best thing to happen for availability and speed of getting the product.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb" - Dark Helmet

technogiant

Point is that they had to change the board which in turn changed the timing for the prebuilts.  I've been waiting since March but I'm not crying like a baby.  Get out and enjoy the outdoors unless you're afraid you'll lose your pocket protector.

If you had read my replies properly you would have realized that this is not about the timing of the pre built release but the fact that the line we have been patiently waiting in for so long is now defunct.
So never mind "crying like a baby" the brown nosers (and negative karma givers) like yourself on this forum need to extract their faces from the admins crevices, open their eyes and see what has happened.
They have used the interest of loyal forum members and their finances to make a limited production run to gain the attention of a large company to whom they have now sold out and stuff the loyal forum members who have been waiting so patiently.

technogiant

@ SNOW

You seem to be quite knowledgeable about what is going on...do you know if this company is going to make completed prebuilt units, diy flex boards or both.

If it is just the diy boards then why has the waiting list been abandoned people will still want prebuilt units?

Offline madcat

• View Profile
Who is this company they've "sold out" to? Have I missed a post somewhere?

I can see where you're coming from Techno but you have to also see that the new design is going to speed things up in a massive way!

technogiant

I can see where you're coming from Techno but you have to also see that the new design is going to speed things up in a massive way!

I know it will speed production up...but now forum members aren't going to be given any priority they will be competing with thousands of other buyers....quite possible we could be waiting longer.

Offline madcat

• View Profile

I know it will speed production up...but now forum members aren't going to be given any priority they will be competing with thousands of other buyers....quite possible we could be waiting longer.

I'm more than sure we'll be given priority over these "thousands of other buyers". I don't believe after all this time that the people developing this product have duped us in any way and that they still care about the community which has developed and will still take care of us once the product is fully ready.

technogiant

No seniority, and no limited first-come-first. Try: you want one you get one.

This is the real deal people. Consider the previous orders as limited production runs.

Well I hope you're right Madcat...but to quote OMGsus...no seniority, first come first ...I'm not very hopefull.

Offline madcat

• View Profile
No seniority, and no limited first-come-first. Try: you want one you get one.

This is the real deal people. Consider the previous orders as limited production runs.

Well I hope you're right Madcat...but to quote OMGsus...no seniority, first come first ...I'm not very hopefull.

Haha, I hope i'm right too. I've been waiting just as long as you and my soldering skills suck, so i'm very much in the same boat as yourself waiting for a pre-built. The way I see it, if they do off-load the production and distribution to another company (i've still heard nothing about this) then they can produce the units much quicker. Once a batch of these are made I'm betting that the users here will get first dibs before the world+dog can get ahold of them.

Again this could be wrong and base this on nothing which is fact

technogiant

Yes it would be good if there could be some official input on this....yes okay they have developed a new board with this company...but what is the intention?

Is the company going to take over production and distribution...and if so what of prebuilt units, diy units or both?

If not and distribution is still going to be made by the community again are both prebuilts and diy kits still going to be available?

Offline miraged

• View Profile
Geez learn to read and dont jump to very stupid conclusions ... they just found a company to make the flex kit, just like a company that did the old DIYs.

Seriously I would have stopped doing xim with so many [insert random flame here] people around already...

technogiant

Geez learn to read and dont jump to very stupid conclusions ... they just found a company to make the flex kit, just like a company that did the old DIYs.

Seriously I would have stopped doing xim with so many [insert random flame here] people around already...

Well I can read and have just read through the post again....I don't understand why just finding a company to make the flex board should negate the need for a priority list?

Infact the comments of OMGsus and OBsIV about the priority list contradict each other....so perhaps it better that we all reserve judgment until we have had some official clarification about what this is actually going to mean and what the teams intentions are. Lack of information only feeds speculation.

Offline blash

• View Profile
VERY NICE work, good job :D

360 Gamertag - WickedPheonix
Proud owner of the one and only glitter-glue XIM2