XIM Community

the look of www.xim3.com  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
the look of www.xim3.com
« on: 08:45 AM - 09/17/11 »
hey guys, today i just realized that the front page of www.xim3.com changed

usually i just go directly into the forum, dont visit the main page
therefore i havent noticed the change so far

anyways i just thought that the new frontpage makes it quite difficult for newcomers to enter the forum
you have to click on "support" first, then quite hidden in the left corner theres the forum

usually on bigger shop pages, the button "support" just lists some email adresses
most people will associate that button with this function, therefore less people enter the forum in my eyes
(ofc theres contact us a bit to the right, but still, why not put a button forum somewhere)

now here is my biased/subjective oppinion ;)

the former frontpage looked so much better optical wise
i know the new one makes it easier to understand what the xim3 is, how it works and how to buy
but you need to admit that it lost a bit of optical appealing

anyways my major suggestion would be to make a more visible forum button :)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline Ultim8

• MVP
  • Gamertag = Ultim83
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Ultim83
Re: the look of www.xim3.com
« Reply #1 on: 08:54 AM - 09/17/11 »
I agree with Od1n here it looks less professional now.
If you look at a site like evil controllers http://www.evilcontrollers.com/

You get hit with info, an easy to navigate page with a link to "Forums"
Ok so XIM has one product at the moment but you could have a galery style along the bottom of videos.
A chat box on the right showing latest forums posts ect.
User video's, Latest posts, twitter feed, chat/shout box, latest firmware, latest ST's.

The home page should show new and exsisting users whats new and going on in the world of xim.

Offline stetab

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: BO4TZ
« Reply #2 on: 09:00 AM - 09/17/11 »
I don't know when it changed, but I noticed it too. I agree that it looks less professional. I remember reading something OMGsus wrote not that long ago about changing the look of the site i think.

I don't know how many developers there are here, but they could probably do a contest with a prize to create a look for the site. Cyanogenmod website did it not too long ago with some great results. This community might not be large enough at this point though.

Offline Mouse N Keybord

• MVP
  • Got XIM?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Mouse N Keybord
« Reply #3 on: 09:08 AM - 09/17/11 »
Or just click join ok the top right of the page and it takes you to the forums.
Watch me on Twitch.tv: http://twitch.tv/TeamXIM
TeamXIM Schedule: http://www.tinyurl.com/ximsched

Offline stetab

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: BO4TZ
« Reply #4 on: 09:25 AM - 09/17/11 »
I have this on my bookmark bar http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?action=unread
I only saw the home page a couple days ago because I went on my phone

Offline miraged

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09:33 AM - 09/17/11 »
I noticed the same as Odin did a while ago, I really had trouble to find the forum link from the homepage.

I also agree with Ultim8 that the front page probably should show more stuff about whats happening with XIM3, like new smart translators, good user videos and any other related announcements.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 10:12 AM - 09/17/11 »
We can make the forum more obvious. The only change made is that xim3.com now points to the "Learn" page.

I know its less elegant than before, but this was done for search engine discoverability. The fact is, since this was done, sales have increased. As an example, look what shows up now when you type XIM3 in Google.

All this is temporary though as we are hiring a web designer. The goal is to keep ease of discoverability while bringing back some of the elegance.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10:37 AM - 09/17/11 »
I know its less elegant than before, but this was done for search engine discoverability. The fact is, since this was done, sales have increased. As an example, look what shows up now when you type XIM3 in Google.

hehe obsiv, if you type "Xim3" into the german version of google, the first result is the "german topic area" giving out all information that a german with little english needs to buy the xim3 and how to use it ;)

and yes i can understand that this increases the sales as well as pointing to the learn stuff, but the forum should surely be more visible ;o

and since we are already talking about the homepage, are there any news on a chat return? ;)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Offline Ultim8

• MVP
  • Gamertag = Ultim83
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:53 AM - 09/17/11 »

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11:58 AM - 09/17/11 »
i know but that one is buggy, it kicks people from time to time
it also lags quite a lot when more people are in it

i love the "throw a dice" option, but the chat could be a lot better :(
also a link in the forum showing the chat users is missing, therefore you always end up sneaking in to find out whos inside :(

Offline Ultim8

• MVP
  • Gamertag = Ultim83
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12:07 PM - 09/17/11 »
ah yeah very true,  the funny thing is people don't even realise they are kicked :)

Offline Xenon

• MVP
  • Boo!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Xenonshot
« Reply #11 on: 12:25 PM - 09/17/11 »
Obsiv you should hire my services : )
SEO optimization. guaranteed to dominate the top of Google for a whole host of keywords and search strings alike and we can keep you up there. not just dominating google but doing bing and yahoo now aswell. we will help the site guarantee not just the first spot in Google but at least 2 and even 3 out of the top 5 search for any given search term or search string...
I rRrRR 133337Zorz

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #12 on: 01:49 PM - 09/17/11 »
For Chat you need to talk to Omgsus.

For SEO, we have that area in process too. Thank you for your offer though. :)

The page change wasn't just for search, it was to enable newcomers to get to product info and videos quickly. The original home page was beautiful and I love it, but, if there is any confusion or delay (many clicks/searching) to get to these critical resources, then, chances are high that interest will lost. First impression needs to be accessible.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Xenon

• MVP
  • Boo!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Xenonshot
« Reply #13 on: 02:55 PM - 09/17/11 »
while I agree with the change the look does need work. its far better on the first page not just for SEO but newcomers too. I would say tho that getting a web designer in is definitely good move.

out of curiosity are you using a third party for SEO related work or is the web designer doing all the work? I just ask as my team does web design and SEO as they kinda go hand in hand for sites similar to this anyway.
I rRrRR 133337Zorz

Offline Mouse N Keybord

• MVP
  • Got XIM?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Mouse N Keybord
« Reply #14 on: 03:38 PM - 09/17/11 »
Need to get that guy that did the Slap Chop on the home page! WATCH THIS YOUR GUNNA LOVE MY XIM3!!!!!

.....just a suggestion  ;D
Watch me on Twitch.tv: http://twitch.tv/TeamXIM
TeamXIM Schedule: http://www.tinyurl.com/ximsched