XIM Community

Just picked up these 5.1 headphones  (Read 6382 times)

Offline aN4rK1

• View Profile
Re: Just picked up these 5.1 headphones
« Reply #15 on: 07:57 PM - 12/18/08 »
Looking to get a set of 5.1 headphones my self. Iam looking at either the A40's or the AXpro's, few questions for the A40 owners. Whats the diff between the regular set and the MLG set? And also whats the rechargable battery pack for?
Question for tonester, is there anysort of batteries needed for the AXpros?

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10:34 PM - 12/18/08 »
Yes. The challenge still stands, I have tried all the headphones talked about and I still don't like them. I designed a couple, and I trashed them too. Spatial distance is hard to mimick in such close proximity. Back to the drawing board, although I am about to give up. I have a nice surround sound system already, but for some reason I am fascinated with surround headphones....why I don't know?
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Tonester

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: EpicNerd
  • PSN ID: A_McCulley
« Reply #17 on: 12:05 AM - 12/19/08 »
You tried the AX Pros and didn't like them?  They work flawlessly on my 360 so far and the problems I had on my PC were due to my old sound card.  Replacing that has gotten rid of all my PC sound problems with them.

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04:25 PM - 12/19/08 »
About to test out some AXPro's.
Not a fan of Turtle Beach.
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%

Offline aN4rK1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08:35 PM - 12/19/08 »
toysrme, post ur thoughts after please.

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08:32 AM - 12/26/08 »
I like everything but the mass of cables.
Unfortunately, IMHO for most people looking for real surround sound+high quality sound - wireless isn't a practical option.
If you can handle the cables, they're awesome!
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%

Offline Tonester

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: EpicNerd
  • PSN ID: A_McCulley
« Reply #21 on: 09:44 PM - 12/28/08 »
I agree the wires are less than desirable, but for XIM users, I don't see it as a problem at all.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11:45 PM - 12/28/08 »
The quest continues for a superior headset, I have had nothing but problems trying to get a working prototype that doesn't sound like crap. I think I will just get a hammer and smash them all to pieces, ya nothing a hammer can't solve. :)

Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Voli

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03:11 AM - 12/29/08 »
I haven't had my Xbox for very long and I was wondering. I need surround sound for playing online very badly. How can you hear the TV through the speakers (on the headphones) and still talk on Xbox Live with the microphone? Or do you? lol

Offline gibkeeg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01:38 PM - 12/29/08 »
Well I picked up the AXPro's.  So far my opinion of them is not to good but I might need to just tweak them a little.

I primarily play Call of Duty: WaW with them, which is probably the reason why the surround sound doesn't really work to well for me to notice.  The game has a crazy amount of ambient and background noises that makes it VERY difficult for me to tell the difference between surround sound and just stereo sound.  Everything still seems to be just left side or right side to me. 

I have a very large head, we're talking 7 3/4 to an 8.  So they fit snug on my head. Luckily, they have a very nice thick pad on each ear.  I did a marathon 8+ hour session with them on this weekend and didn't have any issues.   The microphone locking tab that keeps it near your mouth already broke, but for me this is a good thing, it allows me to adjust it to my fat head.

The cables are ridiculous, by the end of my gaming sessions over the Christmas Holiday, the cables were a tangled mess.  I recommend that you purchase a few strips of velcro when getting this headphones just to manage the cables.

Like I said before, out of the box, I really can't tell they are "surround sound" headphones compared to just stereo headphones.   The very limited manual (if you can call it that) does a very poor job of explaining how to configure the surround sound settings.  These things could be amazing if you tweak them, but just using the limited manual I'll never know.  If any of you guys have some tips on tweaking them for the Call of Duty games let me know.

-Gibkeeg 

Offline Gabbagod

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02:02 PM - 12/29/08 »
I just got some Logitech 5500 surround sound speakers. Playing the games in surround sound helps a lot as you can hear where people are coming from. Plus it makes the game a lot more admersive when you can hear bullets screaming past you in all directions.

It would be going too far to say it is essential to have surround sound but it makes the whole gaming experience quite a bit more enjoyable.

Offline slayersteve

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: x SLAYER Steve
« Reply #26 on: 02:15 PM - 12/29/08 »
My AXPros will be here Wed...
Will post thoughts then.

And I don't really need to concern myself with the sound not being top notch like Nick.
My ears are pretty much shot from two + decades of Metal concerts... :)

Offline Voli

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07:52 AM - 12/30/08 »
My AXPros will be here Wed...
Will post thoughts then.

And I don't really need to concern myself with the sound not being top notch like Nick.
My ears are pretty much shot from two + decades of Metal concerts... :)

I worked at a venue in my home town.. Awesome job I must add.. Unfortunately, my girlfriend hates the fact I need EVERYTHING, movies/music/video games, VERY loud. lol

It works to my advantage when I need to tune her out though  ;D

Also, do these surround headphones plug into your TV and Xbox controller? Or do you just not talk to others on XBL?

Offline gibkeeg

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04:38 PM - 12/30/08 »
So I did a little research, and tweaked the Time Delay setting for BOTH surround and the Center Channel and now these sound amazing.  The manual was no help, and I had initially just had the Time Delay settings on the center channel, didn't realize until doing some research that you actually need to set it for both which is done with a tiny switch on the mixer.

The surround sound actually works as advertised now and sounds great.

-Gibkeeg

Well I picked up the AXPro's.  So far my opinion of them is not to good but I might need to just tweak them a little.

I primarily play Call of Duty: WaW with them, which is probably the reason why the surround sound doesn't really work to well for me to notice.  The game has a crazy amount of ambient and background noises that makes it VERY difficult for me to tell the difference between surround sound and just stereo sound.  Everything still seems to be just left side or right side to me. 

I have a very large head, we're talking 7 3/4 to an 8.  So they fit snug on my head. Luckily, they have a very nice thick pad on each ear.  I did a marathon 8+ hour session with them on this weekend and didn't have any issues.   The microphone locking tab that keeps it near your mouth already broke, but for me this is a good thing, it allows me to adjust it to my fat head.

The cables are ridiculous, by the end of my gaming sessions over the Christmas Holiday, the cables were a tangled mess.  I recommend that you purchase a few strips of velcro when getting this headphones just to manage the cables.

Like I said before, out of the box, I really can't tell they are "surround sound" headphones compared to just stereo headphones.   The very limited manual (if you can call it that) does a very poor job of explaining how to configure the surround sound settings.  These things could be amazing if you tweak them, but just using the limited manual I'll never know.  If any of you guys have some tips on tweaking them for the Call of Duty games let me know.

-Gibkeeg 

Offline Zardoz

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08:00 PM - 12/30/08 »
So I did a little research, and tweaked the Time Delay setting for BOTH surround and the Center Channel and now these sound amazing.  The manual was no help, and I had initially just had the Time Delay settings on the center channel, didn't realize until doing some research that you actually need to set it for both which is done with a tiny switch on the mixer.

The surround sound actually works as advertised now and sounds great.

-Gibkeeg

Did you have a specific site that helped you tweak the headset?  Just got these awhile ago and they sound good, but would like to make sure I'm getting the best out of them.

~Zardoz