XIM Community

Logitech G13 Thumbstick MOD * Super EZ * No Sanding. No Glue. No Mess  (Read 61603 times)

Offline Genius

• View Profile
I have ordered the above stuff and should be arriving friday, can't wait to do your mod!

Offline Lenny7118

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Lenny7118

Finished the thumbstick grip/ Sugru mod.  Came out perfect.  This is by far the best option of the mods that I've tried for the G13 analog stick.

I had switched the analog stick with a Logitech F310 controller, linked in my previous post, and I thought that it worked well, but it wasn't as good as initially thought.  The stick worked fine for Destiny, so I thought it was fine overall, but when I tried playing Black Ops 3, it was very hard to sprint. Apparently Destiny has a lower threshold than other games for stick deflection so I didn't notice it when I tested it on that game.  I tried calibrating the stick  in Windows, but it didn't help.  I could get sprint to work, but I had to apply more force than usual and it wasn't at all natural.  I didn't want to do any sanding, so back in the old stick went.

So I went ahead with my thumbstick grip/Sugru mold.  Wish I had thought of this from the beginning.  It is by far the best outcome and easiest to do.

I bought the pack of thumbstick covers that I linked in the above post.  I took a small amount of Sugru and rolled it into a ball.  I then put the ball in the bottom of the thumbstick cover and smooshed it until the bottom of the Sugru was flat and flush with the bottom of the cover.  I didn't use too much Sugru, because I didn't want to totally fill up the cover. These covers are concave and I wanted to retain that in the end product.  The F310 thumbstick was slightly convex on top and putting the cover on that made the convex-ness of it disappear, which I didn't want to have happen again on my mod.

After that, I simply pushed the cover on top of the existing G13 analog stick and made sure that the entire bulb of the G13 stick was covered well.  Made sure it was level and then I was done.  Let it sit for 20hrs and it was the perfect G13 thumbstick.

The thumbstick covers are like $5 and Sugru costs around $10, so for $15, this is the easiest, one of the cheapest, and probably best way to mod the device.  No opening, sanding, voiding, etc.  You use the original stick so the movement will be perfect.  The thumbstick covers are really good and provide great grip.  There are 10 in the pack so you could use the rest for your controllers too.

I think this is the perfect solution and I'm done with modding the device.  if it ever breaks off, I'll use one of the spares and do it again.  It works to well.  Although, in the downtime between waiting on the materials to come, I did get used to the normal G13 stick, and could use it if push came to shove... but I'd much rather the modded version lol.

Aren't the covers really big ? The g13 stick/thumb stick  is so tiny ?

Offline Lenny7118

• View Profile

Finished the thumbstick grip/ Sugru mod.  Came out perfect.  This is by far the best option of the mods that I've tried for the G13 analog stick.

I had switched the analog stick with a Logitech F310 controller, linked in my previous post, and I thought that it worked well, but it wasn't as good as initially thought.  The stick worked fine for Destiny, so I thought it was fine overall, but when I tried playing Black Ops 3, it was very hard to sprint. Apparently Destiny has a lower threshold than other games for stick deflection so I didn't notice it when I tested it on that game.  I tried calibrating the stick  in Windows, but it didn't help.  I could get sprint to work, but I had to apply more force than usual and it wasn't at all natural.  I didn't want to do any sanding, so back in the old stick went.

So I went ahead with my thumbstick grip/Sugru mold.  Wish I had thought of this from the beginning.  It is by far the best outcome and easiest to do.

I bought the pack of thumbstick covers that I linked in the above post.  I took a small amount of Sugru and rolled it into a ball.  I then put the ball in the bottom of the thumbstick cover and smooshed it until the bottom of the Sugru was flat and flush with the bottom of the cover.  I didn't use too much Sugru, because I didn't want to totally fill up the cover. These covers are concave and I wanted to retain that in the end product.  The F310 thumbstick was slightly convex on top and putting the cover on that made the convex-ness of it disappear, which I didn't want to have happen again on my mod.

After that, I simply pushed the cover on top of the existing G13 analog stick and made sure that the entire bulb of the G13 stick was covered well.  Made sure it was level and then I was done.  Let it sit for 20hrs and it was the perfect G13 thumbstick.

The thumbstick covers are like $5 and Sugru costs around $10, so for $15, this is the easiest, one of the cheapest, and probably best way to mod the device.  No opening, sanding, voiding, etc.  You use the original stick so the movement will be perfect.  The thumbstick covers are really good and provide great grip.  There are 10 in the pack so you could use the rest for your controllers too.

I think this is the perfect solution and I'm done with modding the device.  if it ever breaks off, I'll use one of the spares and do it again.  It works to well.  Although, in the downtime between waiting on the materials to come, I did get used to the normal G13 stick, and could use it if push came to shove... but I'd much rather the modded version lol.

Did you buy and have to use both the thumb sticks you have listed above or just pick one pack ?

Thanks

Offline flst81

• Go Noles!!!!!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Pl3zd0ntsh00tm3
I believe he bought a pack of thumbstick grip covers and the sugru. now he has back up covers in case he needs them.
Xim 4| Logitech G13 | Logitech G502 | Glorious Extended mouse pad| Razer Vespula | Asus MX279H monitor |  ROCCAT APURI Active USB Hub | XB1

Offline Lenny7118

• View Profile

I believe he bought a pack of thumbstick grip covers and the sugru. now he has back up covers in case he needs them.

Are those covers that tiny to fit snug over the Tiny thumb stick on the g13 even when using the sugru to secure the cover in place ?

Offline flst81

• Go Noles!!!!!
    • View Profile
I'd PM Web head to be sure. My impression is that he fills the cover with Sugru and some on the G13 nub and places them together
Xim 4| Logitech G13 | Logitech G502 | Glorious Extended mouse pad| Razer Vespula | Asus MX279H monitor |  ROCCAT APURI Active USB Hub | XB1

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Spidey
Those are thumbstick grips.  I linked where you can get them.  They come in a pack.  There are other types on Amazon as well if you'd like ones that are more like the 360 sticks for instance.  These are just the best cheap option that comes with a lot of grips, whereas others are a few dollars more and come with 2 or 4 grips.

I filled the grip with Sugru so that when it dries the grip is solid like an actual thumbstick.  I then smoosh the grip on top of the G13's stick.  The opening is bigger than the G13 stick, but since it's packed with the Sugru, it seals around it for a snug fit.  When it dries it's hard plastic.  Let it dry for like 8-12hrs and you're done.

Offline flst81

• Go Noles!!!!!
    • View Profile
well there you have it

Offline ChrisHale

• View Profile
I decided to go this route but I found that Sugru can be pulled off the stick when needed but gives a rock solid base and you can use any size cap over the top. I'm pretty happy with the result. http://imgur.com/gallery/pHzR4iI/

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
I decided to go this route but I found that Sugru can be pulled off the stick when needed but gives a rock solid base and you can use any size cap over the top. I'm pretty happy with the result. http://imgur.com/gallery/pHzR4iI/

Nice!

Yeah I love this method.  I've tried a few different thumbstick grips.  It's easy to just pull it off with enough force applied, and then put on another.  I've come back to the one that I have in the pictures I posted though.

I'd love it if they made grips that were like the XBOX One controller so I could try them, as I think they would be my fave, but haven't been able to find any.

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: KAMPR-
I myself went with the sugru route. Love that sheet! The OP of this thread is actually me. I forgot my log in credentials so I decided to make another account. Thus R3MiX was born !! LOL.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

XiM3R since ever since.

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
I myself went with the sugru route. Love that sheet! The OP of this thread is actually me. I forgot my log in credentials so I decided to make another account. Thus R3MiX was born !! LOL.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Lol

Offline AKs0n-

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: AKs0n-
Been using Razer Orbweaver since Overwatch Beta but it always bugged me knowing movement is Digital & not Analog. Decided to give G13 a shot & immediately absolutely hated the joystick. Think Im just gonna go back to Orbweaver. It feels a thousand times more comfortable. I can live w/ Digital.

Offline ustu

• View Profile
Can I use a DS4 thumbstick? Will it fit?

Offline rarroyo

• View Profile
Will this method work with Kontrolfreek?

Admin