XIM Community

Logitech G13 Thumbstick MOD * Super EZ * No Sanding. No Glue. No Mess  (Read 67564 times)

Offline dmt257

• View Profile
Here is a guide I have just used :

http://etc.gw2guildsite.com/content/replacing-stock-logitech-g13-joystick-button

I've not been able to test it yet (dead Xbox), but it does seem as if the new joystick will restrict movement. If that is the case I will simply sand down that protruding part of the gamepad which forms the circular hole the acual joystick protrudes out of.

This was a really simple mod to do.

Got my replacement Xbox and sure enough, movement was restricted to a crawl. When i'm playing with the stock joystick I use the full range of movement so I'm not sure what the solution is.

Offline dmt257

• View Profile
Solved it :D

When using a thumbstick from a logitech controller (as pictured on prev page and in the link I posted) it is possible to reduce the size of the stalk- the part connecting the part your thumb rests on and the bottom dome.

It's so thick on the logitec controller for cosmetic purposes I would suggest. It comprises a solid inner 'core' and a hollow outer shell, supported by 4 brackets ( not exactly sure what to call them). Anyways, all you need to do is use a hacksaw or sharp knife to carefully remove this outer shell and 'brackets'. What is left is a solid plastic stalk which is about identical in thickness to the original. Hence you get the full range of movement of the thumbstick that came with your G13.

I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Offline THE-MARAVINGY

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: ApocalypticWesal
Perhaps just buy a replacement stick they are available all over the interweb.

Failing that just get some of this stuff https://sugru.com/ then you mould a new top to the G13 original stick the sugru sticks to anything and everything once dry it sets hard like neoprene rubber nice and solid with very little flex.
I used it to make a keyboard and added some to the top of my stick then pushed my thumb into it so I have no thumb slippage.

Offline dmt257

• View Profile
Comparison pic :

After I clipped outer shell of logitech controller joystick :

Offline helpmeout

• View Profile
I cant find that controller anywhere... if anyone finds one for sale please message me :(

Offline x DOS X EQUiS x

• View Profile
I cant find that controller anywhere... if anyone finds one for sale please message me :(

I bought mine on ebay. If you want local I saw target that carried it.
Formerly 3 MIX 2 WIN IT

XBOX 360 / PS3 /Wii / XIM3 / G500 / G9X / Avermedia Game Broadcaster HD / PC360 / DT 770 PRO / MIXAMP / G13 / 2 x Samsung 24" LCD

Offline willthetech

• MVP
    • View Profile
So I just got this G13 thing, I was trying to get one for a while but the designed was holding me back. First is going to take some time to go from NAV to this… second I had an old xbox 360 controller so I took the stick thing out and try using in the G13 and it’s too loose, I can actually spin it very fast  :). Did they change the size on the sticks? It fits but again is too loose…may be I have to fill the hole with something.

Offline willthetech

• MVP
    • View Profile
Ok i figured out, there is plastic piece that I needed to cut and the insert in the mushroom cap :)

Results:

I have to say moving forward is a pain using the stick...

Offline VITODATHO

• View Profile
I want to try it with DS3 or DS4 thumbs

Offline VITODATHO

• View Profile

This are thumbsticks of dualshock3 left and 4 right. Do you remember if g13 is the same from inside?

Offline VITODATHO

• View Profile
Can you please put the photo of wear to start taking g13 out of part. Where to find screw. 

Offline Trabant180

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Trabant180
Would it be possible to use a DS4 stick? I've got a broken one laying around...

Offline Uber Pooch

• MVP
    • View Profile
Gotta ask, what are you using the thumb stick for, i.e. with a G13 + mouse? Is it for character movement instead of the typical WASD set-up?

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Spidey
Just wanted to confirm, since there was some confusion in this thread, about what is the right Logitech Joystick to get to do the replacement for the G13.

I bought a Logitech F310 controller from Best Buy for $15.99 yesterday and placed it into my G13. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-f310-gaming-pad-blue-black/1260591.p?id=1218243758834&skuId=1260591

It fit perfectly.  No sanding necessary.  The shaft is bigger than the original so there was a slight loss in range of motion, but I am still able to hit max movement speed without a calibration.  Just make sure to pop the thumbstick through the opening in the top half of the G13 BEFORE you attach the stick to the analog pin.  It is a very tight fit to pop it through and you risk damaging your G13 if you attach the analog stick first and then apply the necessary pressure down to close the G13, to pop it through.

The nub on the F310 stick is similar to  PS DS2 or DS3 controller, so I wanted more grip than that and ended up buying thumbstick grips. 

These:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-ProGamer-Analog-Thumb-Grips/dp/B00552Q7ZK/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RZGDWSMFY0CE9DCY9G7

And these:

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Silicone-Controller-Joystick-360-Controllers/dp/B00OXT579S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1453912103&sr=8-3&keywords=thumbstick+grips

That gave me the idea of using the Thumbstick grip as a mold.  I'm going to fill a grip with Sugru and then attach it to the original G13 analog stick.  This should be an easy way to get a perfectly formed analog stick nub, keep from having to open the G13, and keep the original analog stick, which means keeping all of the range of motion.

I'll update this space with how it worked out.

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Spidey
Finished the thumbstick grip/ Sugru mod.  Came out perfect.  This is by far the best option of the mods that I've tried for the G13 analog stick.

I had switched the analog stick with a Logitech F310 controller, linked in my previous post, and I thought that it worked well, but it wasn't as good as initially thought.  The stick worked fine for Destiny, so I thought it was fine overall, but when I tried playing Black Ops 3, it was very hard to sprint. Apparently Destiny has a lower threshold than other games for stick deflection so I didn't notice it when I tested it on that game.  I tried calibrating the stick  in Windows, but it didn't help.  I could get sprint to work, but I had to apply more force than usual and it wasn't at all natural.  I didn't want to do any sanding, so back in the old stick went.

So I went ahead with my thumbstick grip/Sugru mold.  Wish I had thought of this from the beginning.  It is by far the best outcome and easiest to do.

I bought the pack of thumbstick covers that I linked in the above post.  I took a small amount of Sugru and rolled it into a ball.  I then put the ball in the bottom of the thumbstick cover and smooshed it until the bottom of the Sugru was flat and flush with the bottom of the cover.  I didn't use too much Sugru, because I didn't want to totally fill up the cover. These covers are concave and I wanted to retain that in the end product.  The F310 thumbstick was slightly convex on top and putting the cover on that made the convex-ness of it disappear, which I didn't want to have happen again on my mod.

After that, I simply pushed the cover on top of the existing G13 analog stick and made sure that the entire bulb of the G13 stick was covered well.  Made sure it was level and then I was done.  Let it sit for 20hrs and it was the perfect G13 thumbstick.

The thumbstick covers are like $5 and Sugru costs around $10, so for $15, this is the easiest, one of the cheapest, and probably best way to mod the device.  No opening, sanding, voiding, etc.  You use the original stick so the movement will be perfect.  The thumbstick covers are really good and provide great grip.  There are 10 in the pack so you could use the rest for your controllers too.

I think this is the perfect solution and I'm done with modding the device.  if it ever breaks off, I'll use one of the spares and do it again.  It works to well.  Although, in the downtime between waiting on the materials to come, I did get used to the normal G13 stick, and could use it if push came to shove... but I'd much rather the modded version lol.