XIM Community

How do you test your config?  (Read 2232 times)

Offline aislephive

• View Profile
How do you test your config?
« on: 06:04 AM - 02/08/08 »
The way I see it there are a couple different ways. Usually what I'll do is go into a private match by myself on COD4 and mess with it there, that way I can adjust it on the go without having to worry about somebody ruining my KDR on XBL. :P

The other way is to try it in the campaign mode to light up a bunch of AI targets which I think is a pretty good way to try it out. I went from private match when I thought I had it perfect to the campaign mode but it didn't feel nearly as good when translated to actual gameplay for some reason. Felt a little jerkier, although I was still doing much better than with a controller, plus I hadn't spent too much time tweaking the config.

The toughest part for me so far is just figuring out exactly what all these different variables are and how they affect everything. What's most important to me is finding a good accurate combo for aiming down the sights, very responsive but not too sensitive if that makes any sense. I hate overshooting targets when I swing  the reticule too far because I can't control it, but I want it to be sensitive enough that I don't have to move my whole hand to get the crosshairs up a few inches. Of the different settings, which do you feel affect the performance most? Dead Zone value? Sensitivity? Smoothness? Translation Exponent? DPI of your mouse? Sensitivity in the actual game?

Offline SUPRARACER

• View Profile
Re: How do you test your config?
« Reply #1 on: 07:43 AM - 02/08/08 »
All of these will effect the game play and all games are different. Try a trns exp of .45 to start and smooth of .15 COD4 doesn't need much to get it to feel good. Start with a DZ of 30 and sens of 3. Bump your sens up slowly till it feels best then tweak trans a little to fine tune. I found COD4 very easy to set up. the DPI of your mouse will greatly effect your settings. You can really feel this in game with a DPI adjustable mouse. Make your 2nd sens a little higher and active on your aim down sight button.

John

Offline Petricore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09:41 AM - 02/08/08 »
I do it on the easiest mode in campaign with halo 3. That way the AI leaves me alone while I'm tinkering :) I finally almost have my config that I'll post for it in the configs tonight.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:26 PM - 02/08/08 »
The way I see it there are a couple different ways. Usually what I'll do is go into a private match by myself on COD4 and mess with it there, that way I can adjust it on the go without having to worry about somebody ruining my KDR on XBL. :P

The other way is to try it in the campaign mode to light up a bunch of AI targets which I think is a pretty good way to try it out. I went from private match when I thought I had it perfect to the campaign mode but it didn't feel nearly as good when translated to actual gameplay for some reason. Felt a little jerkier, although I was still doing much better than with a controller, plus I hadn't spent too much time tweaking the config.

The toughest part for me so far is just figuring out exactly what all these different variables are and how they affect everything. What's most important to me is finding a good accurate combo for aiming down the sights, very responsive but not too sensitive if that makes any sense. I hate overshooting targets when I swing  the reticule too far because I can't control it, but I want it to be sensitive enough that I don't have to move my whole hand to get the crosshairs up a few inches. Of the different settings, which do you feel affect the performance most? Dead Zone value? Sensitivity? Smoothness? Translation Exponent? DPI of your mouse? Sensitivity in the actual game?

User: Nick
Game:COD4
Mouse DPI:2400 AND MX518 (Creative Labs HD7600L Laser Mouse)

Mouse Dead Zone:0
Mouse Update Frequency:1
Dead Zone:29
Dead Zone Type:Circular
Y/X Ratio:2.00
Translation Exponent:0.40
Sensitivity Primary:6.75
Sensitivity Secondary:8.75
Smoothness:0.05

those be my current settings, been using that for a week now - very very solid. .45 is a little much on expo, .35 feels good too. I set it to .40 because I forgot that I did and I got used to it.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Admin