XIM Community

Mouse Issues  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Aliven

• View Profile
Mouse Issues
« on: 04:35 PM - 01/16/08 »
Ill be the first to break in the support section it seems.

I built my own xim and it works great! however, when i try to make a diagonal move the mouse wishes to only move either up or down. I have experienced this problem before in Counter-Strike and fix it by entering -noforcemspd which stops CS from conflicting with windows mouse controller i suppose. I have no idea how to fix this glitch/conflict with the xim. any help is appreciated.

Offline Abhinav

• View Profile
Re: Mouse Issues
« Reply #1 on: 04:38 PM - 01/16/08 »
That is one of the cons of the XIM. However, I believe you can reduce it by playing around with the sensitivities and stuff. You should definitely wait around for a second opinion before you go doing something to your XIM though.   :-X

Offline SUPRARACER

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04:41 PM - 01/16/08 »
Does it do this on all your games or one in particular?

Does the controller graphic (the one with the XIM software) show diag. movement represented on it's right stick?

What is your gear / setup / game using?

John

Offline Aliven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04:58 PM - 01/16/08 »
It does show diagonal movements on the right stick. I had this problem in counter-strike and fixed it by entering a command -noforcemspd. which i gather stops the game from trying to control the mouse. im using a Logitech G5 mouse with a G15 keyboard. This problem is happening in Halo 3.

Offline Sick_Tight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07:58 PM - 01/16/08 »
That's kind of how this thing works but maybe try unplugging it then replugging the XFPS back in. I have no problems in COD4 but you'll notice some issues in HALO3. Really not something you can totally work around as much as something you get used to lol.  That's just how the Controllers were made to function so it's kind of what we are stuck with per-say.

Offline Aliven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09:20 PM - 01/16/08 »
i hear ya. but i think its a form of conflict. as i said the issue existed in Counter-Strike. when doing diagonal it freezes and doesnt want to use both axis. has anyone else encountered this anomaly?

Offline SUPRARACER

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07:05 AM - 01/17/08 »
I'll have to check mine tonight. I don't think I have this problem with this in Halo 3 or atleast I don't notice. If you just use the XFPS without the XIM do you still have the problem?

John

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10:43 AM - 01/17/08 »
If you have no diagonal movement AT ALL, that is odd. On halo 3 using an mx518 @1600 dpi a deadzone between 34-42 in size and using a circular deadzone in addition to other settings.

One thing I did notice though, your XY ratio HAS to be set correctly otherwise your stuck going horizontally or just vertically (that's what happened to me but I was tweeking the file)

Unfortunately, in Halo 3 - the diagonal movement can be minimized, but it will always be present. I learned to get used to it and when I track people I track them horizontally then move vertically to get my sights on them. You CAN go diagonally, but you have to be so perfect in doing it as to not get any jerky movement it's better to adapt to what works.

I know it's not perfect, I am having a hard balance between "smooth" and "translation exponent" and the deadzone size in combination with the sensitivity to get the best "feel". I know when a shotty snipers game shows up I get dozens of headshots and medals for it. At medium to long range, give me a BR or snipes and you die 95% of the time, however if in close quarters I have a harder time trying to track the person - this is where the secondary sensitivity comes into play. Secondary sensitivity is handy, and I normally double or triple the amount as shown on the primary sensitivity and you really have to get used to it.

Ahh, I know I did not directly answer your question but let me get back to it.

What mouse are you using
what keyboard are you using
Using a laptop
If yes to laptop, are the mouse, keyboard and the XIM hardware on seperate ports? I had issues with my mouse not doing what it needed as I had a hub. After doing a shuffle of devices I figured the Keyboard (a merc zboard) will NOT work unless plugged into the laptop itself wont work on a hub. The XIM will work in a hub with a mouse in the mix. I have also heard of the opposite - so you may want to shift around different USB ports etc to see if that resolves any issues.

Doesn't make sense - but it works dunno why either.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Aliven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04:10 PM - 01/17/08 »
thank you for the replies. I tried several setting changes last night and couldn't resolve the issue. It does get to the point where it feels unplayable. I don't believe it's the game or XIM hardware, but of that I'm not totally sure.

PC Desktop AMD 3800x2 2GB DDR2
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
Logitech G15 Keyboard

They are plugged into different USB ports directly to the front of my computer-

PS- i will continue to play around with the settings.

Oh and about removing the XIM and trying just the XFPS I'll get back to you.
« Last Edit: 04:13 PM - 01/17/08 by Aliven »

Offline SUPRARACER

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05:00 PM - 01/17/08 »
thank you for the replies. I tried several setting changes last night and couldn't resolve the issue. It does get to the point where it feels unplayable. I don't believe it's the game or XIM hardware, but of that I'm not totally sure.

PC Desktop AMD 3800x2 2GB DDR2
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
Logitech G15 Keyboard

They are plugged into different USB ports directly to the front of my computer-

PS- i will continue to play around with the settings.

Oh and about removing the XIM and trying just the XFPS I'll get back to you.

If you have COD4 you could test it on that. It has a totally different look mechanism than Halo 3.

Good luck,

John

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05:30 PM - 01/17/08 »
on my other desktop, I had an issue with the front USB ports and I had to resort to using the rear ones via a usb ext cable. The issue was my mouse would not work, but my kb would but If I switched everything around it would.

I hate the g5 seems to hate me, which is why I went mx518

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

Offline SUPRARACER

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06:47 AM - 01/18/08 »

If you have COD4 you could test it on that. It has a totally different look mechanism than Halo 3.

Good luck,

John
[/quote]

I just checked last night and I do not have this problem. While my diag movement on Halo 3 is not great it is still trackable and works pretty well.

John

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10:18 AM - 01/18/08 »
Ya cod4 works wonderfully, where Halo 3 just takes ALOT of messing around to find the sweet spot.

As stated in the review section where I posted a review

Between these 3 factors is what impacts the most
1. Translation Exponent
2. Smooth
3. Deadzone size.

Translation Exponent. Try using a 0.00 and you will find you cannot move at all.
Use 0.80 and you will FLY across the screen.

I have been trying really high sensitivity with lower translation exponent and vice versa (30 sens with .05 translation - 1.00 translation with 2 sens)

This really can get tricky as the right match is critical to getting a good feel.

Smooth
This one is a tricky beast. I have noticed with higher translation exponent and higher smooth is pretty good. I go about .50 - .75 on this with like a 8.0 pri sens and a .65 translation exponent - you have to play around with this. It can feel "heavy" but it seems like it lightens up if you mess with the other 2 items.

Deadzone size

This one is an oddball. I have tried 30, I have tried 50. It seems higher is jumpy and lower can be too. Im at 42 at the moment for Halo 3 and that seems to be my magic mark. But not always, halo 3 has a randomness about it that cannot be explained by logic. If you think I am crazy, pay attention when you play you will notice some inconsistencies with your mouse.

With all of that said, my current settings are:

[AnalogStick]
DeadZone                  = 32
DeadZoneType              = Circular
YXRatio                   = 2.00
TranslationExponent       = .35
SensitivityPrimary        = 15.00
SensitivitySecondary      = 30.00
SensitivityToggle         = KeyLeftControl
Smoothness                = 0.75

I am really starting to tweak the translation, smooth, and pri sens - If you boost the translation then you want to keep the same sense you'll have to reduce your sensitivity somewhere around 10:1 meaning that for every .10 you increase or decrease you may want to go up or down by 1.00 on your sens.

The settings above I am still messing with, but I have noticed you can go a bit higher on translation like .55 -.65 and then boost smooth to .70 - .80 and adjust your sens to your liking feels kinda okay.

The biggest issue I have is I can still feel the acceleration of the sticks.

If you move slow the cursor stays the same speed and even if you increase just a little bit it still stays same speed. I have noticed that there are 3 speeds it seems in halo 3. Slow, medium, and fast (a 4th if you count secondary sens)

Whoever has the mx518 we really need to find the right feel for this and get the feel right for it and post them up.

I have saved over 100 notepads and have found only 2 or 3 settings that are starting to feel right. One of the ones is what I posted above ^^.

Mmmmk, back to work.
« Last Edit: 06:22 PM - 01/22/08 by nickstudy »

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

Offline Aliven

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09:52 PM - 01/18/08 »
thank you very much for the reply. I will try playing with the settings some more. If I solve the issue or reduce it to a playable level I will surely post it. Thx again.

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10:04 AM - 10/17/08 »
Months old so likely resolved.

I'm closing this post and if anyone still needs some help they can start a new more current post.

Closed...