XIM Community

8 Step PS3 - XIM1 Guide <--- Updated links and pic Mar, 10 /2010  (Read 39326 times)

Offline gerfle

• View Profile
                                 PS3 Setup Guide…

Hello all..

If your like me and new to this XIM for the PS3 then look no further.
I’ll have you up and running in no time ready to frag.

First thing to do is download this file that I have uploaded to Rapidshare.
http://rapidshare.com/files/155430495/XIM_PS3.rar.html

This file contains the XIM.exe and config.exe plus profiles that I have found to work with the PS3 flawlessly.
Now there is no need to install the programs, all you need to do is just leave it somewhere, where it is easy to get at like your desktop for instance. The bright side to this is there is no install required so then it makes this portable that you can take with you on your flash drive.  (WooT)

The Step Process…

1.  First thing you need is your XIM1 toolkit which you could make or buy one from ebay like I have done from here. This guy sells both the tool kit and adapter.. http://cgi.ebay.ca/XIM-mouse-keyboard-adapter-for-PS3-and-Xbox-360-Yobo_W0QQitemZ160403364046QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2558c918ce

2.  Next you will need to acquire a working PS2 – PS3 controller converter, refer to step 1.

3.  Next connect the two items and plug the controller adapter into the #1 USB port of your PS3 and the other end into a working USB port of your computer.

4.  Now your ready, so fire up your PS3 & PC with game of choice. Once the game is loaded then navigate to your controller setup with in the game and look at the button configuration, leave it here so you know what buttons to config.

5. Next start up the XIMconfig.exe to setup your keyboard mapping, I know this is setup for XBOX360 so I’ll convert it here for you so you know what buttons to set for the PS3.

PS3                 XBOX360

Cross button    –  “A button”
Circle button    –  “B button”
Square button  –  “X button”
Triangle button –  “Y button”

6.  Once you have your desired buttons setup, “save as” your config to the name of the game so you know which configs are for what game for later use.

7. Now start up the XIM.exe and you should notice your mouse and keyborad buttons moving on the XIM interface.

8.  Ok depending on the game from experience, each game works different from one and the other I have noticed.

For example:
COD4 – I set my PS3 controller to #2 port with in PS3 system and left on.
Socom – I set my PS3 controller to #3 port and left on as well.
BiA: Hells Highway – I set my PS3 controller to port #1 and left on.
Battlefield: Bad Company - My PS3 controller is set to port 2 and left on.

So you see you may need to try different port settings to see what works for which game.

TIP: If you have done everything as I said here and you still get no movement from mouse & keyboard then simply remove the the controller adapter from the PS3 and plug it back in and it should now work.

TIP 2: Leave the PS3 controller on at all times, when I first started using and learning to use this stuff I kept turning off my controller and nothing would work. I’m not sure if others out there got this to work with the controllers off..

TIP 3: Q: Is there a way to have it press its "PS button" ?
       A: up + backspace will count as a ps button press.

So there we go, this is my way to get my XIM to work with my PS3 and others out there may have different ways that have worked for them. BTW, this works with Windows XP Pro sp3 and  for Vista Ultimate.

I hope this helps some of you.
Good luck and happy fragging.
« Last Edit: 12:08 AM - 03/11/10 by gerfle »

Offline Wolfheart

• View Profile
Re: 8 Step PS3 - XIM1 Guide
« Reply #1 on: 08:03 AM - 11/14/08 »
I'm gonna build my own. Thanks man! You rock!

Offline gerfle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10:59 AM - 11/22/08 »
Your most welcome..  ;D

Offline slayersteve

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: x SLAYER Steve
« Reply #3 on: 04:15 PM - 12/21/08 »
Downloaded the file.
Did you mean to include the SOCOM config? It's not in there...
Can you post it?  The fill config, not just sens settings. Not sure what to map where and even if I decide to change something your config will be a good start for me...
Thanks!

Offline gerfle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02:46 PM - 01/04/09 »
Hey first of all sorry for the late reply, I don't get on here as much as I used to..

As far as the mapping your config files just open your button config screen with in the game it's self then write down what button does what then open the config editor and config your buttons to what keys you want to use on the keyboard.

If you have two monitors hooked up like myself then all I do is open the confg editor on one screen and the ps3 button config screen onto the other and map from there.

You will have to monkey around with the movement sensitivity yourself to your liking of course.

Offline slayersteve

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05:23 PM - 01/07/09 »
actually, your default.xim file had Socom on it so I was set (probably should have loaded it up and looked before posting /kicks self)
thanks man!

Offline mindworm22

• MVP
  • "I'm your huckleberry..."
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Liquidboy
« Reply #6 on: 09:34 AM - 01/25/09 »
This was / is a fantastic way to XIM.  I've done it just as you have outlined, and absolutely love the way it works now that I have things tweaked out for Resistance 2.  (I have a rotten old optical mouse, what can I say!) 

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks.  It's posts like this that make folks on the fence about investing the $$$, like me, really glad they did. 

Thanks again...

"You beat that horse to a bloody pulp in that circle-jerk of a thread .... and then poured the remains in a blender, pureed them, and gargled the leftovers. How you're not sick of it is beyond me." --- RookCheck

Offline gerfle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09:09 PM - 01/25/09 »
This was / is a fantastic way to XIM.  I've done it just as you have outlined, and absolutely love the way it works now that I have things tweaked out for Resistance 2.  (I have a rotten old optical mouse, what can I say!) 

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks.  It's posts like this that make folks on the fence about investing the $$$, like me, really glad they did. 

Thanks again...

Hey no problem, I'm glad it worked out for you. It's always nice to see a thank you from time to time. I kind of wish I had a post like this when I first started to play around with this stuff but it took some time to figure it out from various posts here and there. Life would be boring with out a challenge.. lol
Happy fragging !   ;)

Offline gerfle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09:14 PM - 01/25/09 »
actually, your default.xim file had Socom on it so I was set (probably should have loaded it up and looked before posting /kicks self)
thanks man!

Your welcome, sorry for the confusion.. Happy fragging! ;)

Offline fierzer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07:20 AM - 02/19/09 »
Thanks a lot for the great tut! Really made everything clear-cut and newb friendly :P. I just ordered the stuff I need, so hopefully I'll get this up and running before KZ2 is released.

One question: I've got a G5 mouse.. but what should I do about the keyboard? I was going to hook up the XIM to my laptop.. but then I'd be forced to use my laptop keyboard unless I went out and bought a seperate USB keyboard right? 

Offline mindworm22

• MVP
  • "I'm your huckleberry..."
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Liquidboy
« Reply #10 on: 06:53 PM - 02/19/09 »
I have a separate k/m from the laptop I use to run XIM...very easy to use on the couch from an amazingly lazy position.  I could grow roots on my couch once I'm set up.  Swear to god...

"You beat that horse to a bloody pulp in that circle-jerk of a thread .... and then poured the remains in a blender, pureed them, and gargled the leftovers. How you're not sick of it is beyond me." --- RookCheck

Offline scam3r

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08:17 AM - 03/02/09 »
I know this might sound strange, but it's the ulitimte setup for the PS3, but i use the left Nunchuck of a FragFX, with PS3 controller software on my laptop.  The PS3 controller software is mapped to keys using Joy2key.  This was i get the beauty of the mouse, with the Ananloge left controller.  I use XAE-UE as the XIM software, as this supports left analogue input.

As many of you have come from using a FragFX (and find it a dissapointment, and badly built), may as well put it to good use.  As there isn't any Nunchuck controller yet for the PC, with enough buttons....

Offline gerfle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01:27 PM - 03/03/09 »
Thanks a lot for the great tut! Really made everything clear-cut and newb friendly :P. I just ordered the stuff I need, so hopefully I'll get this up and running before KZ2 is released.

One question: I've got a G5 mouse.. but what should I do about the keyboard? I was going to hook up the XIM to my laptop.. but then I'd be forced to use my laptop keyboard unless I went out and bought a seperate USB keyboard right? 

Hi , I would just buy a $20.00 keyboard from futureshop or some place. They are made for ps3 and work great. So how you liking the setup so far?
Also sorry for the late reply.  ;)
« Last Edit: 01:33 PM - 03/03/09 by gerfle »

Offline gerfle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01:32 PM - 03/03/09 »
I know this might sound strange, but it's the ulitimte setup for the PS3, but i use the left Nunchuck of a FragFX, with PS3 controller software on my laptop.  The PS3 controller software is mapped to keys using Joy2key.  This was i get the beauty of the mouse, with the Ananloge left controller.  I use XAE-UE as the XIM software, as this supports left analogue input.

As many of you have come from using a FragFX (and find it a dissapointment, and badly built), may as well put it to good use.  As there isn't any Nunchuck controller yet for the PC, with enough buttons....

Sounds interesting, and that is some cool innovation going on there for sure.
I myself tho will stick to my keyboard as I'm what they call the old school PC junkie.. lol
But I'm sure there is others out there that would be interested in that setup.

Happy fragging!

Offline slayersteve

• MVP
    • View Profile

whoa. hey, that's exactly what I want to do.
where do I d/l the software/drivers from for this???