XIM Community

ATTN: ALL PS3 OWNERS WITHOUT I-CON, PRELIMINARY ADAPTER FOUND  (Read 3929 times)

Offline ims

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: victermizer
  • PSN ID: imsfuji
Ok still testing this out fully. I went to bluewater shopping mall and found a Venom Ps2 to ps3 converter in HMV. 10 quid. I thought it was no way going to work.
Got home stuck my pc downstairs connected it all up, PC-->XIM-->converter cable---> Usb slot in PS3. Stuck my Razer tarantula keyboard and G5 into the Pc. Ran the software and first thing I noted were the updates were almost off the scale at around  63/s. Booted up PS3 and keyboard was a bit laggy . Switched USB ports and it was working smoothly.

At this point the mouse wasnt working well , booted up COD4. Fire buttons still were not working properly. At this point I though  fuk it. I took out a PS3 Wireless controller and reassigned it to pad 1. pressed X to Go into the game. Then assigned it back to pad 2, BOOM mouse was working.

At this point I was worried as  mouse controls were not doing what they should.
Note to all noobs like me: MOST OF THE KEY BINDS ARE MESSED UP FOR THE PS3, JUST REASSIGN THEM BY TRIAL AND ERROR IN GAME, IT WORKS A BEAUT. 4             222022   

Ok this is work still in testing but I'vwe been on COD4 for 35 mins and have remapped most of my keys. I need to tweak the config as I cant do a spin 180 on the spot ala pc style. Will work on that. To the guys that found this info useful I'll run a batch more testing when I get home from some shopping and if things are working out well will post some piccies with my Canon 5D later in the evening.

Cheers
Imran
« Last Edit: 11:57 AM - 02/05/08 by ims »
Long live the Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine

Offline ims

• View Profile
PRELIMINARY TESTING PART 2 (quick)-- tested Xim/Ps3/venom mutant setup vs my slitfish. This thing completely and utterly destroys the splitfish its not even close.
More later when I get back......

Offline neemz

• View Profile
Nice one IMS, i'm in the UK so i will pop down to my local HMV and see if they stock the same item if my current PS2->PS3 adapter doesn't work when my XIM arrives.

Could you by any chance post a picture of the adapter? My thinking is a lot of these will be made by the same company but rebranded under different names so I we might be able to spot other identical adapters based on appearance.

Out of curiosity does that adapter also have a socket for a PS2 memory card? And does it have a switch for changing between gamepad and guitar modes?

Offline cameltoe

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: xsmoothupinyax
yeah I get like 62-3 updates a sec as well with the Icon adapter...on the 360 w/xfps I get 29...:(

I am able to make quick 180 turns just like the PC version
« Last Edit: 09:58 AM - 02/05/08 by cameltoe »

Offline ims

• View Profile
Just got back from outside.I'll take some piccies later. the adapter has 4 LED's on it and a button on the side which says "Menu". WHen you opress it , it does the same thing as the "PS" button on the PS3 pad. When connected all 4 LED's flash.

Offline ims

• View Profile
Talking about settings, anyone have any decent settings for COD4 for the PS3 on a G5 mouse :)

Offline cameltoe

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: xsmoothupinyax
im at work, but I have mine set up nice....ill post later

Offline ims

• View Profile
Thanks bud would really appreciate it  :P

Offline ims

• View Profile
That looks like the one, although the front of it is not shown. The front is pure black with the words "Venom" written over it and 4 red LED's. On the side is  "menu" button. Wnen iw as in HMV they only had one type of converter and that was 9.99, called venom so this must be it * best to phone and check*.

It appears that on further testing I've been doing this evening that this thing works prefectly. What I did notice when I booted COD4 up again after ps3 cold power reboot, was that no keyboard commands or mouse worked at first  . At this point I hit the "menu" button on the side of the converter , took out the mouse and k/b from ports and put them back in in, Voila they were detected as per normal. Its a lil late here and front room is a mess will take some piccies in teh morning.Will spend a few hours tonight tweaking settings and giving further report in the morning to see if any hitches crop up.......

Edit: Also appears some can be found here....http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/Multi9gqx2hm0e0j/Venom-PS2-to-PS3-Controller-Adapter

« Last Edit: 05:30 PM - 02/05/08 by ims »

Offline Sick_Tight

• View Profile
Sweet dude I'll totally be looking into this

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
You're the man! This is exciting stuff. What you described seems very similar to the one I purchased.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000YGH3RS/ref=dp_images_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&img=1&childASIN=B000YGH3RS

4 lights and a PS button

This is very good news indeed. How many of these adapters have you seen in stores? Worst case if we can't find any others that work, at least we have a 2nd brand to work on now.

And I have a splitfish, overall I was pretty happy with it, it let me aim which was my biggest issue, now if this and a XIM can give me closer to PC control, amen!

Now I just need my @#$% parts to ship. I ordered the XIM parts, but the circuit board is backordered.

Offline ims

• View Profile
I just woke up lol, was on cod 4 last night for several hourse. Juncti, to be honest I hadnt heard of the venom converter before I went into HMV, but it seems that mainly HMV stock it and some online places.

As for further testing, well last night was a learning curve for me. Without blowing my own trumpet , several years ago I was pretty darn good at PC games ( was ranked no:20 in the UK CS 1.6). Itys been several years though since I was PC gaming . SO I went from the splitfish to a m/k on cod 4 , here are my thoughts which are relevant to my setup:

- The G5 mouse is extraordinarily sensitive. I play on a 50inch Fujitsu plasma at home and even on  the middle 1600dps setting  slight mouse mvmts even on lowish XAE sensitivity/ translation setting at 0.39 drive the cursor insane.

- The sensitivity is pixel perfect, last night I was getting head shot after head shot after headshot, just from shooting from the Hip ( ala CSS style) with the M14.I was accused of cheating.

- Part of the reason above appears to me that the "hit boxes" on COD4/noob console mode are huge!!

- Sniping with the Barret 0.5 is incredible with this setup , *virtually* pc esque.

- 180 degrees spinning shots are possible, but I would say you couldn't quite " do it on a dime" PC style, you need to lean into turns with strafe ( my general method anyway) to do it.

- The translation component setting appears to me to be some form of mouse accelaration. Personally I always  used to shut down mouse accelaration in windows when I was PC gaming, as its difficult to control. Dont think u can set this at zero though as then you cant do quick spins.Tradeoff situation

-If the m/k are not used for some time ( 20mins) they stop working
. Going back to windows I saw the XAE say " no input commands- shutting down" or some such mesage. At this point I just restart XAE, go back into the game and m/k are up again. Presumabnly this is how XAE is meant to work.

- Anyone using the G5 Mouse I recommend slapping in maximum weights into the back panel of the mouse. I presonally like a heavier mouse myself but by doing this the cursor seems to lie at a beautiful optimum neck/head level and even shooting from the hip will fire at the neck with subsequent recoil shots kicking into the head hit zone region (ala ak47 CS style for any pro's out there!). Instant kill.

-I still dont understand the difference the deadzone number means. What does a lower number mean? I set mine to 30 last night.

- tweaking is going to take several days.

« Last Edit: 05:58 AM - 02/06/08 by ims »

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
Why would it shut off saying no input while you're using it? Doesn't make much sense.

Perhaps you could create a keyboard shortcut that would close and restart the program for you? Then in between matches just tap that command, resulting in a reset for each game.

Offline ims

• View Profile
No I think you misunderstood me, I went afk and fell asleep putting the baby to bed. Got back  some 30 mins later...  ;D. When i was playing it never stalled once in 4 hours