XIM Community

XIM vs games / configs  (Read 1864 times)

Offline S0und

• View Profile
XIM vs games / configs
« on: 03:43 PM - 02/03/08 »
I finished my XIM 2 days ago. The first game what i tryed was COD4. I was shocked with the result. XIM giving a perfect PC-like gaming experience. After testing a few other games, i changed my opinion a bit. XIM with COD4 is able to give that pc like gaming.

The second game what i tryed with XIM was Halo3. I used the same (default) settings like in COD4, but this time everything was very crapy. Not even reached the same aiming quality. I spent like 1,5 hour just tweaking the settings, but i gave it up. The reason why am i whining, or just being sad, is i belived that you can get the same aiming quality in each and every game, you just have to tweak the setting more or less. Everyone is talking about settings, mice and dpi-s, but i think the most important is the game. Never forget that! ;]

Exp. the way how am i tryed to test + tweak the settings in each game, is i moved the cursor across on the screen (from left bottom corner to right upper corner), and i watched the game's crosshair, can it follow perfectly this movement in game, or not. COD4 can, Halo3 can't.

So can we share some experience here, what "tactic" do you use when you are setting up a config for a new game, etc. Or can u reach the same aiming quality in each game, or this realy depend on the game?

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: XIM vs games / configs
« Reply #1 on: 04:32 PM - 02/03/08 »
Halo 3 has a very heavy amount of aim-assist built in to make it easier to play with a controller. Every game will have a different level of assist built in. This is why it is important that the mouse translation is flexible enough to perform in all these environments. Honestly, 1.5 hours of tweaking isn't enough to find a combination of settings that suits your unique gaming style with your unique combination of hardware. I can tell you there are competitive players that are very happy with XIM on Halo 3 and they spent days (sometimes weeks) tweaking it.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline drmeltdown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10:51 PM - 02/03/08 »
S0und.
Check out nickstudy's Halo3 config in the config section of the forums.  I found it to be very good.  You can try to tweak from there and see if you can get it where you like it.

Do not expect this device to be more than it is.  The XIM can only use your mouse to emulate controller inputs.  Because of this you will experience different results for each game based on how the games controls are programmed.  Although it has limitations, the XIM is the best option for us who prefer mouse control.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01:46 PM - 02/07/08 »
Halo 3 has a very heavy amount of aim-assist built in to make it easier to play with a controller. Every game will have a different level of assist built in. This is why it is important that the mouse translation is flexible enough to perform in all these environments. Honestly, 1.5 hours of tweaking isn't enough to find a combination of settings that suits your unique gaming style with your unique combination of hardware. I can tell you there are competitive players that are very happy with XIM on Halo 3 and they spent days (sometimes weeks) tweaking it.

Don't EVEN get me started on how much time I spent on Halo 3!!!!!. lol It's ridiculous.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01:58 PM - 02/07/08 »
http://xim360.com/index.php?topic=73.0

Here is a quick look

User: Nick
Game:Halo 3
Mouse DPI:2400 (Creative Labs HD7600L Laser Mouse)
Mouse Dead Zone:0
Mouse Update Frequency:1
Dead Zone:33
Dead Zone Type:Circular
Y/X Ratio:2.00
Translation Exponent:0.35
Sensitivity Primary:13.50
Sensitivity Secondary:9.00
Smoothness:0.30

If you using a mx518 I would maybe bump up the sensitivity to = what's above maybe by .50 or 1

secondary sensivitiy is lower due to I want a slightly slower sens when I feel like having more precision - but that's me most peeps do the opposite.

This config has been my mainstay for the last week - Halo 3 is not ever going to be as good as cod 4 I don't think in terms of mouse kb "feel" - that stupid acceleration just laughs in your face.

Dial down the translation expo a bit, .30-.40 seems good I like .35 do to smooth movements most of the time and even when I go a little faster, it does not freak out as much.

hope that helps.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.