XIM Community

I wanted to design an XBOX360 Headset  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: I wanted to design an XBOX360 Headset
« Reply #15 on: 08:11 AM - 03/28/11 »
I have the Astro Mixamp 5.8 and the sound quality is phenomenal despite being wireless, so I don't think wireless is an issue as long as it's done well. The part you're going to have a hard time competing with is actually making a very good "one-size-fits-all" headset if your system is a complete and closed amp + headset combo. The beauty of the Astro Mixamp is that I can use any headset or headphones I want with it. So I can find what fits well and sounds good to me rather than being limited to a specific set.

have you ever played crysis2 with the mixamp?
the mixamp can not the frequency range of deep tones in crysis2.
it sounds horrible.
I have tried several headphones.
roads also has tested several and he has testet the wired and the wireless mixamp.
It is defintitly located on mixamp.
all other games sounds good with mixamp.
crysis2 is the first game which with the mixamp has big problems.

Are you talking about crackle on deep bass sounds? If so turn the in-game sound down to about 20-30% and boost the amp and it sorts it.

But yeah I agree a decent quality amp with dolby headphone would be better then another gaming headset.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08:22 AM - 03/28/11 »
ProudNoyPi, it does not make sense to make a headset you cant match Beyerdynamics but that is you need to achieve if you want to make a good headset with a good mic like this

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/studio-and-stage/headsets-for-live-applications/dt-797-pv.html?SID=254546fb461a44dd8aca77ddc2239e3b&___store=en&___from_store=de

So there enough good headsets on the market 700AD, Beyers 770, Sennheiser. What there is not is a full range amplifier (Mixamp dies on deep bass) with optical in out, Dolby surround(!), mix in speech and mix in own speech like the turtle beach 41 has for closed headsets so you don't shout. Turn on and off with Xbox (Mixamp sucks in these details),separate  audio in of course.
Crusade atm: none

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08:30 AM - 03/28/11 »
for the earcup size, I also dislike having big cans in gaming...for me big cans are fine for music listening, but hinders my movement while playing...
take the @#$% headset off before you join a dodge ball game.
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
[/size]

Offline chaosticbunny

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: t3hst0rmtr00p3r
« Reply #18 on: 08:41 AM - 03/28/11 »
Hello Ximmers,

I'm working for one of well known audio company.  The said company specializes in headphone to be specific. 

Since I feel being part of this Keyboard & Mouse XBox360 gamer, I would like to get your oppinion, suggestion, and almost anything you wanted for your "dream XBox360 headset".  The company is now giving their focus and attention in console gaming segment (it was after really a long try persuading them & presenting market reports / feedbacks)...

I have in mind right now the following and how i wish you guys can add into this ideas.  Please do note that I'm serious into this, and really hope to get accurate wishlists from you guys;

1.  Full wireless (mic & audio in)
2.  Multi channel (support for dts / dolby / thx / etc)
3.  Optical in / out
4.  Open or Close acoustics --> which do you prefer and why?
5.  etc.
6.  etc.

Looking forward for your kind feedback XIMMERS...

Could you fabricate and include an adapter that fits in the A/V out for users that have HDMI?
Currently I am running HDMI and my XB360 A/V with the bottom cut off to fit with the HDMI plugged in, it works but it is messy. I am positive you could reverse engineer it to only output the audio function and not the video as well, unplugging and plugging this in hot resets the video on my XB360 forcing it to reboot.

Xim: OG XIM3
Keyboard: Razer N52TE
Mouse: Logitech G700s

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09:22 AM - 03/28/11 »
If you really want to make a good headset, I think you'll need to make a couple of different models - one size does not fit all.

You need a mid range headset with decent quality without a huge price tag.  something that will compete with the TB products in price, but surpass them in sound quality.  This would be for the casual gamer that wants something a little better, but doesn't want to pay a big price.

then you need a high end headset for the hardcore guys that care about getting a really good headset, and are willing to pay more.  Having a DSP amp would be great too.  As mentioned, nobody competes with the Astro mixamp at this point.  the TB DSS is the closest thing, but it does not mix voice.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09:47 AM - 03/28/11 »
Ill buy if its better than my Beyer 770 pro and the Mixamp. Good luck!

Offline troysloth

• MVP
  • Semper Fi, Do or Die, OORAH!!!!!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Jarhead xSSGTx
« Reply #21 on: 10:09 AM - 03/28/11 »
How are you going to achieve the wireless communication for Xbox live?  Currently the only wireless option is the official M$ wireless headset.  Apparently M$ will not share their wireless specifications so aftermarket companies can make a wireless chat solution.  TB has a workaround for their PX5.  They are working on a bluetooth receiver which plugs into your xbox controller, but its not out yet.
Staff Sergeant, United States Marine Corps, Retired (1984-2004)
Distinguished Marksman 1993, Distinguished Pistol Shot 2002

Marine Corps Marksmanship:  You can run, but you will just die tired.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."  John J. Pershing, General, United States Army, World War 1

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."  Ronald Reagan, 1985

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: CoilTap
  • PSN ID: singlecoilpickup
« Reply #22 on: 10:55 AM - 03/28/11 »
How are you going to achieve the wireless communication for Xbox live?  Currently the only wireless option is the official M$ wireless headset.  Apparently M$ will not share their wireless specifications so aftermarket companies can make a wireless chat solution.  TB has a workaround for their PX5.  They are working on a bluetooth receiver which plugs into your xbox controller, but its not out yet.

You get around that by making a wireless receiver unit that connects to the console and a transmitter than you keep by you and that connects to the controller. See the Astro MixAmp 5.8:
http://www.astrogaming.com/products/detail/111/MixAmp-58/
Xbox One / PC
XIM Apex / Logitech G Pro Keyboard / Logitech G900
Astro MixAmp Pro TR / Sennheiser HD598 / Blue Yeti Mic

Offline esease

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08:23 AM - 03/29/11 »

You get around that by making a wireless receiver unit that connects to the console and a transmitter than you keep by you and that connects to the controller. See the Astro MixAmp 5.8:
http://www.astrogaming.com/products/detail/111/MixAmp-58/

you are not talking about same thing

game sound and live communication sound is two different things

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: CoilTap
  • PSN ID: singlecoilpickup
« Reply #24 on: 08:28 AM - 03/29/11 »
you are not talking about same thing
False.

game sound and live communication sound is two different things
True.

I guess 50% ain't bad.  Point is, the Astro Mixamp 5.8 is wireless from the transmitter to the receiver, yes you still have to plug a cable from the MixAmp Transmitter into the controller. There's no way around that due to restrictive Microsoft licensing. However, the MixAmp 5.8 is as close as you're going to get right now to wireless and have game and voice in one headset.
Xbox One / PC
XIM Apex / Logitech G Pro Keyboard / Logitech G900
Astro MixAmp Pro TR / Sennheiser HD598 / Blue Yeti Mic

Offline esease

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10:37 AM - 03/29/11 »
ok, my bad.
i read it too quickly

Offline xavier_s37

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05:28 PM - 03/29/11 »
spoken from a pseudo-audiophile, give me wires, or give me nothing :)

and if your talking all around headset (games & movies) go closed. if for gaming only go open. better 3d audio positioning but at the sake of bass. but if your using it for movies and music as well, go closed so your not losing the bass. but on the flipside of that, i use a pair of AKG K702s(which are open) with a mixamp and a separate desktop amp
 inline (the fiiO E9) and id put my setup against ANY in terms of SQ(well maybe not the headzone or smyth realizer, but those are 1K and 3K respectively)......but it cost me upwards of $550...

that being said, screw the "if you can match my DT770s+mixamp", you need to match my mixamp+E9+K702s if you want close to $300/350..... make the amp able to handle the BIGDOG headsets (600ohm monsters) for those of us that like to upgrade. put all the money into the amp, make the headset somewhat cheap so its semi-marketable to "gamers", that way 80% of the people buying will be blown away by the sound, but the other 20% will be able to upgrade the cans without the need of a inline amp. you produce a higher quality amp, and youll have all the audiophile gamers knocking your door down as the mixamp is really a subpar amp (but still better than most other "gaming" branded amps) but really the only choice if your trying to achieve audiophile grade sound.
« Last Edit: 05:34 PM - 03/29/11 by xavier_s37 »

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12:14 AM - 03/30/11 »
5 Years later....

Offline esease

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12:03 PM - 04/02/11 »
i have turtle beach x41, and i'm pleased about them besides it's non integrated chargeable and hissing sound

Of my next headset i'm going to demand these features:

-good sound quality (comparing to x41 and astro a40)
-wireless without hissing sound
-charger integrated in stand and able to charge via cable while used
-battery life at least 10h
-optic signal pass-trough
-fits nicely in head without need every time adjustment

and here is extra features what could be nice

-bluetooth (chat ja a2dp)
-optional bluetooth transmitter to 360's controller
-wireless transmitter can be placed as laying and to stand
-in earcup amplifier. fully wireless design
-in earcup buttons where you can browse between surround/stereo and bass boost on/off
« Last Edit: 05:48 PM - 04/02/11 by esease »

Admin