XIM Community

Drop boost/jitter and make a better acceleration  (Read 5985 times)

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Drop boost/jitter and make a better acceleration
« on: 12:06 AM - 03/18/11 »
Right now acceleration starts shifted on the x-axis I guess exponential. Boost/jitter fails at low numbers and at high numbers itís an acceleration starting from 0. Ballistics will be superbe but will be CPU intensive. So I think itís a good thing to have a no CPU intensive back up plan that also makes Boost/jitter redundant.

With two knobs acceleartion could be made really great. Divide the exponential function by a number and get flat or high speed accelerations. Add a value to Y in the function and get a shift on the X axis like for example

y+10=X^2/20

With these to knobs (red and green) the user would have total control of the acceleration at low CPU usage.
Crusade atm: none

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: Drop boost/jitter and make a better acceleration
« Reply #1 on: 12:10 AM - 03/18/11 »
Show what it looks like when you add in Sensitivity (start with 1).
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12:18 AM - 03/18/11 »
I am no mathematician Obsiv but I think itís the coordinate system that changes with sensitivity change. I dont have the means to draw that. But the x and y axis dots would get 2,4,6 if you double sensitivity instead 1,2,3? I need kodek to help here. Dunno where you add that in the function to be honest.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:24 AM - 03/18/11 »
I sent Kodek a message to please tune in here.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 12:27 AM - 03/18/11 »
I am no mathematician Obsiv but I think it’s the coordinate system that changes with sensitivity change.

Sure you do, first curve: x^2 + x

If you have sensitivity at 9, it would be: x^2 + 9x
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12:38 AM - 03/18/11 »
But that would be a shift on the y axis? Is that really sensitivity change?

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12:46 AM - 03/18/11 »
adding a multiplication of X with the sensitivity soe not get the right graph I think

Offline kodek64

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01:04 AM - 03/18/11 »
Does this help? This shows different Ax^2 + Bx with B being your sensitivity (like OBsIV said).

Edit: I just read your first post, and if you have an equation like Y+b = x^2/c, then b is boost just like it is now (only negative) and c would just be your acceleration (picture your acceleration knob being a number less than 1, or 1/c in this case)
« Last Edit: 01:09 AM - 03/18/11 by kodek64 »
XIM Sensitivity Calculator!
http://xim3-app.heroku.com/

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01:30 AM - 03/18/11 »
Ahh thanks Kodek for tuning in!

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01:35 AM - 03/18/11 »
So acceleration sets the curve bend and sensitivity change fine tunes it. The shift sets when acceleration begins.
I think accelartion as X^2/acceleration makes a nice curve change that should eb easy to handle by the brain. No?

Offline kodek64

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01:50 AM - 03/18/11 »
So acceleration sets the curve bend and sensitivity change fine tunes it. The shift sets when acceleration begins.
I think accelartion as X^2/acceleration makes a nice curve change that should eb easy to handle by the brain. No?

I'm pretty sure acceleration right now is Ax^2, A being the number you choose. Your equation is identical to what is being used right now, only yours would turn acceleration down as your increase its value.
XIM Sensitivity Calculator!
http://xim3-app.heroku.com/

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02:03 AM - 03/18/11 »
Ah ok so its y+C= Ax^2 + Bx

A= acceleration
B= Sensitivity
C= shift

correct?

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02:05 AM - 03/18/11 »
I see now why Obsiv asked for a negative shift, it would mean a jump start. I am not sure but this could be a boost without jitter? not sure.

Offline technogiant

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02:07 AM - 03/18/11 »
I think that we are just in danger of removing one set of buttons and recreating them in another set with a different name.

If we were to replace boost and jitter with acceleration then I'd want to be able to specify the upper limit beyond which it would not accelerate any more ( equivalent to the boost level)

I'd want to beable to expess the acceleration rate ( something we now modify with jitter)

I'd also wish to specify where it starts, not just at the  point of origin, something we cant do atm with boost/jitter.

So we would end up just renaming the boost and jitter functions.

I think you can play with mathematical expressions of curves forever, but the botton line is people want to beable to modify these curves individually rather than have something that automatically does one thing, so you've got to have the user settings to do that.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02:13 AM - 03/18/11 »
Techno you are right, we are not inventing something new here, its just we have acceleration, a fixed shifted one and a 0 shifted boost/jitter. This is nothing against your ballistics it just combines the jitter/boost and the acceleration to a better acceleration. You cant imagine the number of question marks noobs will flood the forum with if we keep the more than strange boost/jitter. Thats what makes Obsiv headaches.

I'd also wish to specify where it starts, not just at the  point of origin, something we cant do atm with boost/jitter.

Not true, boost jitter always starts at 0. Right now you can say when acceleration stops with boost/jitter (jitter point) and just everybody  puts that stop outside the possible motion range as its unusable otherwise!

Admin