XIM Community

ps3 vs 360  (Read 4978 times)

Offline cameltoe

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: xsmoothupinyax
ps3 vs 360
« on: 02:29 AM - 02/02/08 »
I started using xim on the ps3 with cod4 and must say...its AWESOME!!

I figured I would try out the old 360. Ugh!! It is no where near as smooth in cod 4 as it is on the ps3!!! This must be because of the xfps 35ms lag....i need to really sit and tweak me some settings....I noticed when playing on the 360, XIM reports like 29 updates per sec....on the ps3 its like 62!!

PSN: gd1009

add me ps3 users

loving XIM!!

Offline Sick_Tight

• View Profile
Re: ps3 vs 360
« Reply #1 on: 03:17 PM - 02/04/08 »
I started using xim on the ps3 with cod4 and must say...its AWESOME!!

I figured I would try out the old 360. Ugh!! It is no where near as smooth in cod 4 as it is on the ps3!!! This must be because of the xfps 35ms lag....i need to really sit and tweak me some settings....I noticed when playing on the 360, XIM reports like 29 updates per sec....on the ps3 its like 62!!

PSN: gd1009

add me ps3 users

loving XIM!!

Camel, I need to ask you something. . .  I've been trying to find a Adapter to allow me to use old Guitar Hero 1, 2, and 80's Encore Controllers and at the same time be able to use the XIM with the PS3. Do you have any helpful sites that will allow me to find one?

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03:51 PM - 02/04/08 »
That's the million dollar question at the moment. The only confirmed adapter is the I-con PS2 > PS3 adapter. Problem is they are impossible to find online at least. From what I-con told me via email, they should be available in stores like EB Games abd Bestbuy in Canada.

So if we have any hookups in Canada, check out those stores next time you're in one. If you find a stock of them, and can swing it, I'd buy a few of them and resell them to people here.

I've gone ahead and ordered XIM parts to build one myself, but the circuit board is backordered, so I'm trying to find other adapters to use. I ordered one that should be here later this week, but it appears I may be waiting a while till the XIM parts arrive.

Offline ims

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: victermizer
  • PSN ID: imsfuji
« Reply #3 on: 04:31 PM - 02/04/08 »
The interesting question is what makes the i-con adapter work whereas others don't.There must be somthing in the components. I'm sure some other adapters must work-just got to try pot luck and find which ones..

Long live the Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine

Offline Sick_Tight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:38 PM - 02/04/08 »
The interesting question is what makes the i-con adapter work whereas others don't.There must be somthing in the components. I'm sure some other adapters must work-just got to try pot luck and find which ones..

I know the Pelican one doesn't allow for Hammer-on and Pull-offs to work so I for sure don't want that one.

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:52 PM - 02/04/08 »
I believe Pelican has already been discounted as not working.

What I looked for when I ordered the one I did was

1. the 4 lights on the adapter to indicate which controller assignment on the PS3 the device is using.

2. That it would pass analog signals because I figure the mouse movement is imitating the analog stick

3. a PS button on the device. The one I ordered allows the press of the PS button to bring up the menu, quit game, turn off the controller, or turn off the system.

I figure if it can integrate all that, hopefully it can pass the XIM PS2 commands through.

I'm also going to continue to relentlessly hunt an I-con adapter.

Offline Sick_Tight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04:54 PM - 02/04/08 »
I believe Pelican has already been discounted as not working.

What I looked for when I ordered the one I did was

1. the 4 lights on the adapter to indicate which controller assignment on the PS3 the device is using.

2. That it would pass analog signals because I figure the mouse movement is imitating the analog stick

3. a PS button on the device. The one I ordered allows the press of the PS button to bring up the menu, quit game, turn off the controller, or turn off the system.

I figure if it can integrate all that, hopefully it can pass the XIM PS2 commands through.

I'm also going to continue to relentlessly hunt an I-con adapter.

Well not only do I want it for the XIM to use with the PS3, but allow my PS2 versions of Guitar Hero I and II and Encore, so I need to find one that will allow all that, as well as have the ability to use Hammer-ons and Pull-offs

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05:18 PM - 02/04/08 »
Look at the links I posted last week in the PS3 thread. One of them was an adapter that had a toggle switch on top of it. The toggle switch moved it between Guitar Hero 1 and Guitar Hero 2 modes.

That might be the ticket for you.

Here's the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/Multi-Converter-PS2-Memory-Card-Guitar-Hero-for-PS3-308_W0QQitemZ110220064740QQihZ001QQcategoryZ147177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the one I bought
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000YGH3RS/ref=dp_images_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&img=1&childASIN=B000YGH3RS

Looked a lot like the I-con, so I figured what the hell.

Offline Sick_Tight

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05:29 PM - 02/04/08 »
Well the first one looks promising but I would like to know weather nor not the hammer ons and pull offs work  lol since that reminds me of the pelican that has switch's for which guitar hero you are playing. . . Yet maybe unlike the pelican it will allow you to use Hammers ons and pull offs and actually get the tilting function to work for star power.

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05:36 PM - 02/04/08 »
Really no way to tell except biting the bullet and trying it.

Being that the XIM was never really made for the PS3, the few of us are really the pioneers trying to develop a model that's easily accessible.

At least the present 360 config uses parts readily accessible on the market.

One thing I've noticed in my week or two of looking, it seems that all PS2>PS3 adapters are pretty much off the market now. I've not seen any in a store since about 8 or 9 months ago. At the time I had no need for one, now I'd kill to get my hands on one.

The only other option, but it would require someone of a much higher skill level, would be to somehow update the XIM idea, but instead of PS2, send PS3 commands and have a USB adapter on both ends, then you could just plug into a PS3 port.

I'd imagine it's theoretically possible, since I don't think PS3 has the controller encryption like the 360 does. We need someone who can program a software emulator and just spit the commands out a USB port to a USB port.

I don't know, I just know that this is all possible because people have done it, now we just need to replicate and simplify the process so all the PS3 users can XIM up their setups as well.

Offline Sick_Tight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05:43 PM - 02/04/08 »
well I e-mailed the first company to ask the questions I had. . . So we will see if they get back to me or not.
As for the the USB to USB adapter, that's a good Idea for sure. . . I'm sure OBsIV would know something about how to do it, maybe a differnt way to solder it, yet I do think it would take another program, so He may not be up to develop that quite yet lol. .. But good news is, if you can get a PS2 to PS3 adapter to work, you're good ot go on PS3 and 360  ;)

Offline cameltoe

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: xsmoothupinyax
« Reply #11 on: 05:50 PM - 02/04/08 »
this is what concerns me about xim2. Will it work with a PS3? Assuming it will not be using a ps2 cable anymore.

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05:51 PM - 02/04/08 »
I don't own a 360 yet, but will most likely have one by the time the XIM 2 is released. So this XIM would be solely for use on PS3.

And no, I can't imagine XIM 2 will work on PS3, that's why I'm building a XIM for the PS3, and then I'll do a XIM 2 for 360.

I'm going to get a solder kit this week and teach myself how to solder so I can build a XIM once the parts arrive.

I'm still not absolutely certain what part the circuit board plays in the process, but if it's just converting USB to PS2, maybe we don't even need that.

If you think about it, we're taking a USB signal, and converting it to PS2 because that's what the XFPS allowed. The PS3 users are then converting the PS2 back to USB. So I'm wondering if you could just take a male to male USB, and go direct from the computer to PS3 without the conversion back and forth in the middle.

Do you have a male to male USB adapter? If so give it a shot and the XIM may be easier than we're making it out to be on PS3.

Offline neemz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03:04 AM - 02/05/08 »
Do not get a male to male USB adapter and try it, you will most likely blow up the powersupply in your PC and PS3!

Male to Male USB adapters are illegal under the USB topology as it does not support Host to Host communication.

Basically your PC will try and put power on the cable, and the PS3 will try and put power on the cable!

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12:20 PM - 02/06/08 »
That's the million dollar question at the moment. The only confirmed adapter is the I-con PS2 > PS3 adapter. Problem is they are impossible to find online at least. From what I-con told me via email, they should be available in stores like EB Games abd Bestbuy in Canada.

So if we have any hookups in Canada, check out those stores next time you're in one. If you find a stock of them, and can swing it, I'd buy a few of them and resell them to people here.

I've gone ahead and ordered XIM parts to build one myself, but the circuit board is backordered, so I'm trying to find other adapters to use. I ordered one that should be here later this week, but it appears I may be waiting a while till the XIM parts arrive.

the circuit board is backordered? eh? you mean the daughter card? Wow, they must be flying off the shelfs!
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.