XIM Community

Poll

Should there be a settable key to turn the xim3 display off?

Yes
31 (67.4%)
No
12 (26.1%)
I don't know
3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Turn off XIM3 display button  (Read 2735 times)

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
Turn off XIM3 display button
« on: 05:29 PM - 03/13/11 »
The XIM3 is a great device i'm loving it.  However I don't feel that it is always as smooth as the xim2 was.  I find that it particularly seems to show delay when you are causing multiple continual key presses that it has to then process and display.  I'd love to see a way to turn this screen and animations off with a press of a button, because in all honesty once i have it set i don't look at it.

Offline jboyse

• XIM3 Rules!!!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Soulztealer
Re: Turn off XIM3 display button
« Reply #1 on: 05:53 PM - 03/13/11 »
I think there should be one only if there is an led that tells me it is still on.
Fragem and Bagem

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:54 PM - 03/13/11 »
I think there should be one only if there is an led that tells me it is still on.

You could just press the button again to find out, or use the keyboard or mouse.

Offline JerryHatrick

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05:59 PM - 03/13/11 »
I voted yes purely from the perspective that sometimes during game play I have to press a key for example "mouse 4" twice for a response.I agree with you ABC123 that this tends to occur during mutiple simultaneous key presses. I assume this may be down to cpu loading and have mentioned this in another thread.

So yeah if it rectifies this then Im all for it!

Jehlybean

« Reply #4 on: 07:08 PM - 03/13/11 »
I'd love to just have it be a clock/game timer or something.  ive looked at it MULTIPLE times waiting for it to tell me the time. 

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07:09 PM - 03/13/11 »
I'd love to just have it be a clock/game timer or something.  ive looked at it MULTIPLE times waiting for it to tell me the time. 

That'd be more processing for timing, and standby power.  Perhaps it should instead of turning off the screen, it could display.

XIM3 (Sleep mode)  and nothing else.

Offline Cool_Breeze

• MVP
  • Another gamer from down under
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: C00LBr33Zzze
« Reply #6 on: 07:53 PM - 03/13/11 »
But it looks so cool on my desk... LOL

Xbox360 Slim : Microsoft // XIM3 : XIM Technologies
A40 Mix Amp : ASTRO Gaming // MLG A40 Headset : ASTRO Gaming
N52TE : Belkin // G500 : Logitech
Wired Controller : Microsoft // 32" LCD Television : Sharp

Offline JReyes624

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08:02 PM - 03/13/11 »
Does this have to do with the display being on or the XIM3 actually translating all of your presses and movements?

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09:17 PM - 03/13/11 »
But it looks so cool on my desk... LOL

it'd be optional

Does this have to do with the display being on or the XIM3 actually translating all of your presses and movements?

It is about the xim not recognizing all buttons immediately or sometimes at all.  Which i attribute to cpu overload.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #9 on: 09:23 PM - 03/13/11 »
I find that it particularly seems to show delay when you are causing multiple continual key presses that it has to then process and display.

Display doesn't take any resources away from translation.

When you say "not as smooth", can you be more specific? As XIM3 was designed to be much more smooth than XIM2.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09:30 PM - 03/13/11 »
I think he means multiple presses of a button result in the screen showing that button as being held instead of it showing several presses.
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #11 on: 09:34 PM - 03/13/11 »
I think he means multiple presses of a button result in the screen showing that button as being held instead of it showing several presses.

Ohhh, ok, yes, UI is refreshed at a lower rate and is lower priority than system. So, yes, you'll see that.

Offline BTC_Brin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11:15 PM - 03/13/11 »

Ohhh, ok, yes, UI is refreshed at a lower rate and is lower priority than system. So, yes, you'll see that.

Actually, it sounded more to me like he was saying that he had to hit the key/button more than once for the action to be registered; It sounded like a USB issue to me -- that's why my next keyboard will be PS2.

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12:57 PM - 03/14/11 »

I simply mean this, even if it is at a lower priority than the system, there is still only 1 cpu.  Thereby if it is processing a UI update it has to finish processing that part before it can take the higher priority item.  This is due to the nature of processing.  Although in the queue it won't work on lower priority items when a higher priority item is there, it still can't stop a cycle mid process to work on a higher priority item.  This has caused my XIM to not accept key presses (mouse click + keyboard button) at the same time.  This is something I can replicate continually with multiple keyboard devices.  Perhaps i should make a video.  But I'd like the ability to disable this display processing so that the CPU can be dedicated to Input.  I don't know if this will truly solve the issue that i'm seeing but i'm hoping that's what is bottlenecking me. 

It might simply be that it is a usb keyboard input issue with multiple keystrokes that the XIM can't keep up.  If this is the case it would be me looking at the screen and seeing it trying to keep up that makes me feel that it is sluggish when in reality it is the lower priority causing that look.

There are hundreds of possibilities, i'd just like to see if removing what i consider is an unnecessary cpu process makes the XIM even better.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #14 on: 01:09 PM - 03/14/11 »
No no. This is an MCU running bare metal (no OS). "System" is a higher-priority *interrupt*. This is why, when audio is running, the UI slows down a little. If something needs to happen with USB or translation, the UI processing stops immediately.