XIM Community

Need wiring help  (Read 5051 times)

Offline francis42

• View Profile
Re: Need wiring help
« Reply #15 on: 04:23 PM - 10/15/08 »
So I am the person IGURU42 was referring to that is doing all the modifications.  The one thing I did not do prior to modification is test the controller.  It currently will show no function of the joysticks or triggers when tested in Windows XP on its own.  I made sure I have tested the second controller and it definitely works.  My only recourse is to remove all modified connections to the controller and test it again, which I am not looking forward to doing, but I will have to do it anyway in order to transfer the XIM2 board to a known good controller and have at it again.  Does anyone have any insight to this at all?  I have checked all my solder connections and they are clean and no bridges.  All connections go to the locations pointed out in the install guide.  I tested the +5V and GND connections and they are okay, so I don't think this is attributed to the XIM2 board causing any odd issues due to not being powered.  The odd thing is it did pass the stress test just fine when I ran it the first time, and then failed when I got the controller home.  Maybe I am using a bad controller and never knew it?

Offline snooze

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Snooze
« Reply #16 on: 10:17 AM - 10/16/08 »
So I am the person IGURU42 was referring to that is doing all the modifications.  The one thing I did not do prior to modification is test the controller.  It currently will show no function of the joysticks or triggers when tested in Windows XP on its own.  I made sure I have tested the second controller and it definitely works.  My only recourse is to remove all modified connections to the controller and test it again, which I am not looking forward to doing, but I will have to do it anyway in order to transfer the XIM2 board to a known good controller and have at it again.  Does anyone have any insight to this at all?  I have checked all my solder connections and they are clean and no bridges.  All connections go to the locations pointed out in the install guide.  I tested the +5V and GND connections and they are okay, so I don't think this is attributed to the XIM2 board causing any odd issues due to not being powered.  The odd thing is it did pass the stress test just fine when I ran it the first time, and then failed when I got the controller home.  Maybe I am using a bad controller and never knew it?
Possibly but not likely. So you are saying that sticks and triggers aren't working? What about the buttons? If they work you might want to check your REF connection. The way the chip is placed inside the controller it would probably be the first one to break if the controller was forced closed since the REF is the second from the end and it is right on the corner of the trigger plastic.
On the bad controller portion. I have actually had a trigger go bad. I completely took the XIM hardware out of it and the trigger still wouldn't work on its own. Not sure why. I checked the solder point and everything looked fine. Maybe I fried something.
Anyway,
Hope this helps.

Offline SUPRARACER

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11:13 AM - 10/16/08 »
He said test ran thru 1000 times with no errors so it may be driver related. The sticks and triggers wont work unless you have a good calibration and the driver running. Check device manager and make sure light is on the controller.

John

Also stress will fail immed if bad calibration.

Offline francis42

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11:35 AM - 10/16/08 »
Correct.  The sticks and triggers do not work according to Windows XP.  It was tried on the XBOX360 console with the same results.  All of the buttons work just fine, so this seems to be something with the controller and how it handles the joystick and trigger functions.  If it were one joystick I could understand it being faulty, but this seems to be all analog functionality, so maybe an analog-to-digital conversion issue?  Checking on the web some people have had to return controllers due to stick functionality not working.  The REF connection is fine.  I went through all of my work yesterday and touched up all connections on the controller mainboard and then cleaned and resoldered all connections on the XIM2 board to make sure I didn't have any cold solder joints or bridges.  Everything looks good.  I will build up the second unit and hopefully that one turns out to be fully functional.  MetalSlayerX had suggested posting calibration results.  If that seems to help out I can try to do that.  Also someone requested pics - I can try to post whatever pics people want to see.  If any of that helps out (I am not sure why if it seems to be related to the controller) I will do my best to get the info posted.  I appreciate any help and thanks for the replies.

Offline SUPRARACER

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11:57 AM - 10/16/08 »
The sticks will not work at all even by themselves while the xim board is in the controller. If you plug the xim cord into the pc then the controller cord into the xbox run the software on the pc the controls should work on the xbox by moving them on the controller.

Uninstall the software
download new beta software
run new software without plugging in the controller
plug in controller when prompted for calibration
run stress
if all passes should work.

Make sure it says found new hardware and shows up under device manager.

John

Offline iguru42

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12:18 PM - 10/16/08 »
Quote from: SUPRARACER
The sticks will not work at all even by themselves while the xim board is in the controller. If you plug the xim cord into the pc then the controller cord into the xbox run the software on the pc the controls should work on the xbox by moving them on the controller.

I could have sworn I read that after the XIM was installed the controller would function exactly as it had before.

download new beta software

The current beta software is the only software we used.

run new software without plugging in the controller

Did that.

plug in controller when prompted for calibration

Did that.

run stress

Did that, had some issues.  Francis42 could answer this better than I now but 2 weeks ago he stress tested it at work, and got a perfect.  When we got together that night to actually try it out with his xbox we started having failures on the right stick at iteration eighty something, if I remember correctly.

Make sure it says found new hardware and shows up under device manager.

Both the controller and the XIM were detected as new devices and installed just fine.  But that's where we ran into the problem with the analog controls and got hung up there.
« Last Edit: 10:07 AM - 12/09/08 by Juncti »