XIM Community

Need wiring help  (Read 6640 times)

Offline iguru42

• View Profile
Need wiring help
« on: 01:12 PM - 09/29/08 »
A buddy of mine is doing the soldering for me, he just sent me this question:

If you have the time, peruse through the Xim360 install guide.  I am a bit cloudy on one area.  They donít get into great detail about the wiring per se.  They do give you a pinout and they do give you pad locations.  However, there is the issue of two connections.  There are two 4-pin soldering points on the XIM360 board on the lower right corner.  They call out for: UGND, UD-, UD+, and U5V on one, and GND, P0, P1, +5V on the other.  The one with the ďuĒ prefix is for the USB cable, and the other is for the +5V and GND, but what are the P0 and P1?  They show a pair of wires connected to it in one of the photos, but donít reference it in the docs.   My guess is it isnít used?

Offline snooze

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Snooze
Re: Need wiring help
« Reply #1 on: 01:49 PM - 09/29/08 »
Derek used them for test programming purposes but they are not needed any more.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:06 PM - 09/29/08 »
Derek used them for test programming purposes but they are not needed any more.

My prototype has them, but as snooze as said they are not needed anymore. You best make SURE that guy can solder well, or you  will end up like others on here who trusted someone else to do it just so they can be pissed off and without a very very hard to get xim 360. Seriously, if this guy has soldered before, but never soldered very tiny points or is even doubtful about it you better think twice.

Don't believe me? Here is a story about a guy on this forum who had someone else do it for him and look at what happened. The  guy said he could d o it and "used to do it for a living" obviously, he was wrong.

http://xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=1145.0

Oh, still not satisfied? here read this. In the end Derek hooked him up with a different board using existing components. At least this guy tried it himself, but realized he screwed up.

http://xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=951.0

All I am saying is I would show that guy the pictures on here and the stories of people who were trusted to do something and failed.

Just want to make sure you have happy times and not be super pissed off and without a Xim 360.

Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline snooze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02:15 PM - 09/29/08 »
I would ask him to solder something else on a test board and see how he does then let him have a crack at the XIM.

"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

Vince Lombardi

Offline iguru42

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:05 PM - 09/29/08 »
The guy is an EE and has access to all the soldering equipment one could hope for at work.  He's been soldering for years so I don't anticipate a problem. 

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:49 PM - 09/29/08 »
The guy is an EE and has access to all the soldering equipment one could hope for at work.  He's been soldering for years so I don't anticipate a problem. 

Well, I have met a few EE's (I am surrounded by them) and they looked at that pcb and went "that's way to tiny I am not used to that small of a scale" since most EE's I have met are civil workers or work in a factory and handle electrical motors, or running line and theory etc etc. I guess it depends on the discipline they are involved in ie, microelectroncs vs power systems vs telecom, instrumentation or other fields. They are all different. I would want to see samples of something on that small of a scale, but that's just me. :) :) :)
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline iguru42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05:03 PM - 09/29/08 »
He works at Bose, he builds his own circuits, I've seen his work.

Offline iguru42

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10:50 PM - 10/04/08 »
So he had it built and we finally got a chance to sit down and see how it went....

Not good.

The problem we're having is all the analog controls appear to be dead.  Both triggers and sticks do not function at all.

When he had it at work and ran the stress test he ran it for a 1000+ iterations with no problems.  When we first set it up at home, it failed at 82 on the right stick.  After running ximcalibrate again, the stress test worked fine.

So it seems something went drastically wrong with the controller itself.  And ideas at what to look for?  Is there a single place on the controller PCB that handles all the analog singals?

Offline MetalSlayerX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:59 PM - 10/04/08 »
So he had it built and we finally got a chance to sit down and see how it went....

Not good.

The problem we're having is all the analog controls appear to be dead.  Both triggers and sticks do not function at all.

When he had it at work and ran the stress test he ran it for a 1000+ iterations with no problems.  When we first set it up at home, it failed at 82 on the right stick.  After running ximcalibrate again, the stress test worked fine.

So it seems something went drastically wrong with the controller itself.  And ideas at what to look for?  Is there a single place on the controller PCB that handles all the analog singals?
Post your calibration settings, make sure all connections have good contact. The only thing that shouldn't be used is P0 & P1. Make sure you solder 5V & GND too, I almost forgot it when I was doing mine, I think that's what caused part of my Right Stick Axis error in the stress test. If it keeps failing then re-solder right stick connections even if you think you have good connections. You might have too little or too much solder that gives your chip bad joints. I solder the first time it failed, I de-soldered everything and re-soldered again and everything works perfectly. You will need at least 26 awg wiring for the 5V & Ground, I wouldn't use anything like 30 awg for it. Some people make the mistake of using 30 awg wiring for the ground and 5V, 30 awg is too thin for power to go through to the xim board.

Play with other XIM users here
http://xim360.com/community/index.php?topic=1144.0

"It's not about changing the world. It's about doing our best to leave the world... The way it is. It's about respecting the will of others... And believing in your own." -Big Boss

Offline iguru42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07:16 AM - 10/05/08 »
I'll give him a call and try and get that info, that or see if he can post it himself, he doesn't have an account here yet.

That said, I forgot to mention, the analog controls don't work even at the controller itself which is what has me concerned.

Offline snooze

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06:44 PM - 10/05/08 »
I'll give him a call and try and get that info, that or see if he can post it himself, he doesn't have an account here yet.

That said, I forgot to mention, the analog controls don't work even at the controller itself which is what has me concerned.

Tell him to check REF. Either he forgot to put it on or put it in the wrong spot. Either that or his power and ground.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07:17 PM - 10/05/08 »
off topic:  snooze i freaking love your avatar. hilarious.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline snooze

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07:44 PM - 10/05/08 »
Thanks. I feel that way from time to time. I saw it and had to add it.  ;D

Rocksolid83

« Reply #13 on: 07:53 PM - 10/05/08 »

That avatar probably own vista.

Offline snooze

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08:41 PM - 10/05/08 »

That avatar probably own vista.
Haha. True.

Admin