XIM Community

FEEDBACK: Full Mouse Ballistics Customization  (Read 8215 times)

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« on: 02:45 PM - 03/11/11 »
There are a few XIM3 gamers that have expressed a significant want for a highly adjustable mouse ballistics option, so, I wanted to discuss this with the community to understand if such a feature would be valuable and used.

Today, your raw mouse input is "conditioned" using configuration knobs (Sensitivity, Acceleration, etc.) before being passed for translation by Smart Translators. The new ask here is to be able to bypass those knobs and supply essentially a "graph" to XIM3 of what the conditioning should produce. You could envision this feature presented to the user as a set of 8 or so "plot points" that you'd give XIM3 (instead of setting the other knobs).

Here is an example of a curve that one member would like:

Understandably, that this is an extremely advanced and difficult way to set how you want your mouse to behave (hence the reason we have knobs). But, since it was mentioned, I wanted to get a feel of how widely something like this would be used by the community.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline TRT568

• View Profile
Re: FEEDBACK: Full Mouse Ballistics Customization
« Reply #1 on: 02:58 PM - 03/11/11 »
I don't mean to sound rude, but there's a 22 page topic of feature requests, the vast majority of which I think would find more widespread use than this. This seems incredibly niche to me. Just because a small number of people are pestering for this doesn't mean that it should get any sort of priority over the requests on that topic.

Offline thebeelzebub

• MVP
  • Desert Combat Whore
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: TH3BEELZEBUB
« Reply #2 on: 03:00 PM - 03/11/11 »
I wanted to get a feel of how widely something like this would be used by the community.

Can you add a vote?

Offline Lurkin374

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: lurkin374
« Reply #3 on: 03:01 PM - 03/11/11 »
so are you saying you could set plot points that wont allow the mouse to drop below or above a certin speeds?

or is it that you set plot points so that if you move you mouse slow it has a low sensitivity and if you move it fast it has a higher sensitivity?

if so would this be a on/off option that we could use if we wanted/needed to?

Offline rtmoose

• MVP
  • yea... its how those frenchies used to say my name
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:02 PM - 03/11/11 »
i wouldnt have the first idea of how that graph would translate to mouse feel...

so im kinda meh
Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to write this, my husband Technogiant as gone out of the room, can you send him this xbox thing quickly he's driving me up the wall. thanks

i5-2500k - p8p67 rev3 - radeon HD6850 - 8GB corsair ram @ 1600mhz - WD caviar Black SATA III

Offline sebastian9

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:08 PM - 03/11/11 »
i wouldnt have the first idea of how that graph would translate to mouse feel...

so im kinda meh

It's really not that difficult. Not at all.

Offline rtmoose

• MVP
  • yea... its how those frenchies used to say my name
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03:14 PM - 03/11/11 »
if I could draw a graph where it knew i wanted it to respond fast at slow movements then even out over faster swipes.. how it would look visually then translate to a perfect feeling then yes im all for it

but lets get everything elee working for the layman first yes?
Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to write this, my husband Technogiant as gone out of the room, can you send him this xbox thing quickly he's driving me up the wall. thanks

i5-2500k - p8p67 rev3 - radeon HD6850 - 8GB corsair ram @ 1600mhz - WD caviar Black SATA III

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:19 PM - 03/11/11 »
while not how i would attack the problem. (Why even do this when you could just allow users to write their own formula, which i pointed out a year or more on XIM2)
i would crush the smart translator if given the options that would allow me to do so. (which honestly, is what I'm looking for)
« Last Edit: 03:25 PM - 03/11/11 by toysrme »
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%

Offline kodek64

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03:21 PM - 03/11/11 »
This is an acceleration curve. Right now, the XIM has one acceleration knob which generates a graph thats a line that starts at (0,0) (unless you're using the boost knob), and has a constant slope proportional to the value in the knob.
A horizontal segment in this graph would indicate no acceleration within that velocity range. a line with an upward slope would mean positive acceleration, and the opposite for a line with a downward slope. Hope that helps.

In my opinion, I don't think this is necessary.
XIM Sensitivity Calculator!
http://xim3-app.heroku.com/

Offline toysrme

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03:23 PM - 03/11/11 »
Also I should point out.
To do what users are talking about is done in R/C regularly. Typical of most transmitters is that you are allowed to set both the sensitivity AND acceleration applied to one axis of a joystick at set intervals.
generally generally in 25% 10% or 5% steps.
this works well, but I honestly think it's too coarse & far too user intensive for a user to simply make one with what we're doing. personally. i would probably do it ontop of a ST (where most of the work is already done). spend a lot of time on it & then ditch it as it's too time intensive.

Google "Throttle and Pitch curve, R/C Heli" and you will find many slightly different examples of how this is done. (As different transmitters accomplish the same things different ways)

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Throttle+and+Pitch+curve%2C+R%2FC+Heli
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #10 on: 03:42 PM - 03/11/11 »
i would crush the smart translator if given the options that would allow me to do so. (which honestly, is what I'm looking for)

toys, you would still use STs. The result of this would feed into an ST. The input to an ST is an X/Y angular velocity that's independent of the stick/aim-assist. This would be absolutely key for this to work.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline toysrme

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03:58 PM - 03/11/11 »
i know. thats why i said id try it on top of the ST's. who wants to do all the work?
@#$% i hand timed cod4,5&6 & plotted the times to turn X degrees at 5 and 10% stick deflections. even that takes all @#$% day to do by hand! couldn't imagine trying to do everything from scratch. icky.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%

Offline Skippy

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: LuckImpaired
« Reply #12 on: 04:26 PM - 03/11/11 »
I don't mean to sound rude, but there's a 22 page topic of feature requests, the vast majority of which I think would find more widespread use than this. This seems incredibly niche to me. Just because a small number of people are pestering for this doesn't mean that it should get any sort of priority over the requests on that topic.

Though I would agree with you in principle you need to remember that the mouse movement is the single most important aspect of this entire device and thus requires the most attention and tweaking.

With that said, if he does not get a good turn out of people that would want this feature he should certainly put it down toward the bottom of things to do.

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04:27 PM - 03/11/11 »
This is interesting, now that I understand it, lol.   Kodek explains it pretty well (if indeed that is how it works).  I probably would only use this at the very top end of stick deflection (if at all) due to my play style.  but I don't think most users would know how to mess with this.

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04:34 PM - 03/11/11 »
this is an extremely advanced and difficult way to set how you want your mouse to behave (hence the reason we have knobs).

Bit sexist but oh well. :P