XIM Community

Resistance 2  (Read 4341 times)

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
Resistance 2
« on: 10:08 AM - 09/24/08 »
Figured we should get this it's own thread since it's just a little more than a month away now.

Plus a ton of new information has just been released.

Here are the features as I know them so far.

Single player campaign continues where Resistance left off. Battles are larger, and new enemies are a lot bigger. They also got rid of some weapons, and introduced some new ones. One of the new weapons is a gun that sends spinning saw blades at the enemy that circle back and keep hitting the enemy. The alternate fire spins up and heats up the blade, which then impales the enemy and keeps doing damage while spinning. Also you no longer carry all weapons. You have 2 slots where you can interchange weapons.

Up to 8 player co-op play. Completely separate from the single player experience. The new information and review says it plays like a MMO, where you have a few classes of players, and you are then tasked with completing missions. As you go you earn experience, and your player and his abilities level up. The tasks are supposedly quite difficult with a large onslaught of enemies (up to 100 on the screen at a time), and the co-op scales back on difficulty a little bit if you're playing with less than 8 people.

60 player multiplayer. Huge battles online, some of the experience and ranking up continues here, and there's also supposed to be some kind of streak bonus where the more you accomplish without dying the more abilities you gain until you die. The 60 players are divided up into smaller groups, similar to the co-op mode, and then tasked with certain missions to keep the game moving.

Should be awesome. They say your experience points will carry over and collectively show where you stand among Resistance players.

Videos of some of the features in action:

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14211237/resistance-2/videos/Resistance2Interview092308.html

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14211237/resistance-2/videos/resis2_mediaDay_mp_092208.html

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14211237/resistance-2/videos/R2_splicer_091708.html

Enjoy

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
Re: Resistance 2
« Reply #1 on: 10:50 AM - 09/24/08 »
What worries me on titles like this is 60 player online. Net coding is complex for these titles as they choose host and round robin the connection around based on best connection when someone leaves. Somenoe would have to have a HUGE pipe to host 60 players unless there were dedicated servers or something like that. It's HARD to find information on how ps3 or the xbox 360 actually networks the titles together beyond the normal "choose best host". I actually have ALOT to say on this since networks and how everything talks to eachother is my business. I just would love to ask Ps3 (or the developer of the game) how the hell they plan on pulling off a 60 player match when most people don't have a wide pipe. I am lucky enough to have 20/20 (20MB up and down, FIOS) and I usually win for host on most matches except for this week (I am on my backup for 2 weeks while they upgrade our area, so only 768 and 5 megs down right now :(

I have played the first resistance, but not real heavily as I don't own a ps3 but my best friend does. I really like the game, it's really fun I actually wanted to get a ps3 just for that game. Hah!
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:18 AM - 09/24/08 »
What do you do for a living? And @#$% I wish we had FIOS, doubt that will ever come to New Orleans. People don't really want to invest in much here given the damage from hurricanes.

Hosting is one thing that definitely bugs me when I play COD4. You get in a game, just getting good then BAM, host drops and you're out. Wish they would find a way for the host to be able to move. At the start of the match rank the connections from best to worst, and then if the top one drops the next one takes over. Something like that. I know it's probably a lot more complex than that from a coding standpoint though.

My guess is that they've anticipated this with Resistance 2. Will be interesting to see. Perhaps each smaller squad will have a host, and then the company will have a server host that coordinates all the smaller hosts into the game.

Either way it will be exciting from all the reviews I've heard of. People that have played the multiplayer don't report any issues at the moment, but of course the machines they're playing on are a lot more controlled, and connected to other specific machines.

And if you think 60 is hard, there's a future PS3 title in development called MAG that will support I think 256 player battles.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:43 PM - 09/24/08 »
I am a systems engineer for an extremely large company, I work with everything you can think of related to networks. I work with every major player in the tech industry in a variety of roles, consultant, architect & design and all points in between including just down and dirty tech work at times. It pays extremely well, but it is extremely difficult at times and can be quite volatile as well in terms of stress levels. Right now I am working on latency issues between california and India. Basics of this are people over there are connecting to here via terminal server farms. They run applications remotely and due to the distance, latency is around 180 to 300 ms, which is HUGE. My job here is to reduce that to something that is within reason and will give the users a near instant response.

I can go on forever, but I do everything  and what I am doing right now is in 2 words: REDUCE LAG. That's the most I have really ever said about what I do as alot of people ask me that, only that what's above is really .01% of what I really do. Takes alot of education and certifications (which never ever ever ends, ever) which gets really annoying but technology is a ever changing dynamic beast that exponentially moves forward at paces no one can seem to keep up with.

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08:25 PM - 09/24/08 »
I feel you on that. I work in technology too, nothing as extreme as you. More network admin type stuff. Presently run 2 companies computer systems. Even on that scale the stress can get you. Everyone elses job ends when they clock out for the day, the sys admin, it never ends.

I find pay and stress are directly proportional in the technology field. Especially I'm sure for those Cisco certified people. Those things are insane from what I hear.

I've got 5 certs, keep saying I need to get back to work on those, I'm 1 away from MCSA (of course the requirements have been changing, that might not be true anymore).

I'm hoping if I keep going the way i'm going I can avoid certs and just focus on implementation and support. I have an idea for a business I'm hoping to start which given the economy should actually be a good fit.

Cool to meet other technology people though. I'll catch you online once I get a XIM360 up and running.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11:08 PM - 09/24/08 »
I feel you on that. I work in technology too, nothing as extreme as you. More network admin type stuff. Presently run 2 companies computer systems. Even on that scale the stress can get you. Everyone elses job ends when they clock out for the day, the sys admin, it never ends.

I find pay and stress are directly proportional in the technology field. Especially I'm sure for those Cisco certified people. Those things are insane from what I hear.

I've got 5 certs, keep saying I need to get back to work on those, I'm 1 away from MCSA (of course the requirements have been changing, that might not be true anymore).

I'm hoping if I keep going the way i'm going I can avoid certs and just focus on implementation and support. I have an idea for a business I'm hoping to start which given the economy should actually be a good fit.

Cool to meet other technology people though. I'll catch you online once I get a XIM360 up and running.

Oh yes, MCSE, MSCITP, CISSP, CCNA, CCNP maybe one day the CCIE (I have the knowledge to pass it, but the 2 week lab test is a BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP) I also have some others too from VMware, Citrix etc. The useful ones were the cisco. The MS certs, they have a place, but not worth anything close to what they used to be. Since you are a test away, finish up the MCSA and then you could go all the way and get MCSE, then upgrade to MCITP with a couple of transition tests.

Anyway, back on topic. Hehe.

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

Offline singularity2030

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01:28 PM - 09/26/08 »
I liked the first Resistance but the multiplayer needed some new modes and better maps in my opinion.  It's still a good game though. The sequel sounds like it is injecting a lot more effort into the multiplayer portion and I'll be getting it for sure.  I have the xim360 already.  I guess I need to pick up the original xim for my ps3 though.  I think the analog sticks on the PS3 are the WORST.  They feel far less precise than the 360's sticks and I dont like those either.

Btw, another technology person here!  Electrical Engineer, but in a vastly different field from you guys.  I work with designing and retrofitting fossil power plants, primarily the control systems.  And when you get the India situation figured out, our office there would probably like to know:)

Offline Svyline

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04:24 PM - 09/29/08 »
I liked the first Resistance but the multiplayer needed some new modes and better maps in my opinion.  It's still a good game though. The sequel sounds like it is injecting a lot more effort into the multiplayer portion and I'll be getting it for sure.  I have the xim360 already.  I guess I need to pick up the original xim for my ps3 though.  I think the analog sticks on the PS3 are the WORST.  They feel far less precise than the 360's sticks and I dont like those either.

Btw, another technology person here!  Electrical Engineer, but in a vastly different field from you guys.  I work with designing and retrofitting fossil power plants, primarily the control systems.  And when you get the India situation figured out, our office there would probably like to know:)

Just so you know, Xim360 doesn't work with Ps3... so meaning you will need Xim1 to play M/Kb setup.

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:42 AM - 10/02/08 »
I guess I need to pick up the original xim for my ps3 though.

Just so you know, Xim360 doesn't work with Ps3... so meaning you will need Xim1 to play M/Kb setup.

Hmmm...

Anyway, public beta signup anyone?

https://beta.myresistance.net/en-us/Apply/BetaForm

Get it while it's hot.

Offline aN4rK1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11:58 AM - 10/02/08 »
signed up, thanks for the link.

Offline lilboosie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12:50 AM - 10/03/08 »
i just signed up but if they can tell how much i play my ps3 there is no way i will get in but i just ordered a xim n adapter so im play more

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07:33 PM - 11/04/08 »
Game is out, go get that thing!

It's freakin intense. Picks up literally right where R1 left off and kicks your @#$% from there.

Get this game, go try my config and please tweak it and make it better.

Then find me online and we'll kick the tires on co-op.

Offline lilboosie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12:35 AM - 11/05/08 »
i finaly rented cod4 made me preorder world at war for ps3 even tho i am getting it for 360 it plays so good i finaly see the light i got resistance 2 today and havent even put it in yet but i will try your set up socom is so phuggin bad holy pooper im get rid that shiz i need a xim360 so bad so i can play gears and world at war on 360 nothing against ps3 but i go all my friends on there and online is so much better

Offline high_life111

• View Profile
problem with r2!!!
« Reply #13 on: 08:15 PM - 11/08/08 »
when i start the game something strange is happening, both my controller and xim are running and i end up in split screen, how do i make the xim default for ps3

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12:12 AM - 11/09/08 »
when i start the game something strange is happening, both my controller and xim are running and i end up in split screen, how do i make the xim default for ps3

Don't turn on any controllers. Just turn on the PS3 and then run the XIM.