XIM Community

Deadzone Finder suggestion  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Tonester

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: EpicNerd
  • PSN ID: A_McCulley
Deadzone Finder suggestion
« on: 12:21 AM - 09/22/08 »
Structure the process a bit.  Here is an example of what I mean:

1) You launch the app.  It has a quick set of instructions that, if followed, will find the deadzone for you.

2) Click on the center dot.  When doing so, 3 of the 4 quadrants of the deadzone thing will gray out.  Let's say that the top left, and both of the bottom 2 quadrants gray out.  A message then pops up stating, "Move the mouse to the right slowly until you see the slightest ingame movement to the right".

The cool "behind the scenes" trick is that the Y axis actually gets locked during this step of the process.  This first mark will indicate our reference for the X axis.

3) Right click to create a new dot.  Repeat the process, but this time, we lock out the X axis to create our Y axis reference.

4) Right click to create a new dot.  Repeat the process, but this time, we lock the X/Y axis at a constant ratio of 1 to 1 and at 45 degrees.  This will create the diagonal reference.

For most games, this is probably enough to get a good deadzone.  If people want to repeat the steps, they can for the other quadrants.

At the end, maybe have some math that goes on and says:
"It appears to be a square/circular deadzone.  Based on our calculations of the references provided, we suggest a deadzone of xyz."

Obviously, the more reference points created and the more precise their measurements, the better the calculations will be from the software.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
Re: Deadzone Finder suggestion
« Reply #1 on: 10:36 AM - 09/22/08 »
I ran through this in my head when I first started using it then after It took me a few seconds to explain how it worked to others (like Skag187 over XBL chat) it was really easy. The program is so easy to use you can find a deadzone is 30 seconds and then using the arrow keys can fine tune it in another 30 seconds. It is true, one quadrant is all one needs for the deadzone, I don't even use the whole thing anymore. I do X and I do Y and I do a diagonal, if it's cornered it square, if it's curved then I know it's circle, done deal. then it's refining the size of it to use with Xim360 and testing from there.

Be nice to have all these features, but that's more programming and what have you taking away precious time for pwnage.

I'm just pulling your chain you know, I really like you ideas I just know that the intro to the program takes no time at all and it's a one time deal. After that, you know what's up and it's easy sailing from there.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Tonester

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: EpicNerd
  • PSN ID: A_McCulley
Re: Deadzone Finder suggestion
« Reply #2 on: 04:21 PM - 09/22/08 »
Oh Nick!

I just read your responses to Skag's "2 suggestions" thread.  And there, you tell him how to "work around" the issue as well. :)

The idea of suggestions is to "suggest a better way of doing things", not "asking for help because I think something is undoable when it is actually doable - albeit not very intuitive."

The suggestions made to the Deadzone Finder, much like the suggestion of "Save As", are suggestions to make things better, more function, more intuitive, etc.

And while it may have been easy to describe how to find the deadzone to someone over chat, the fact is that when 1000 people order this thing, do you really want to have to explain it to 1000 different people over chat?

The deadzone suggestion wouldn't take more than 30 min to implement.