XIM Community

Tutorial: Naked working neutral controller PCB  (Read 2762 times)

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Tutorial: Naked working neutral controller PCB
« on: 01:46 AM - 12/28/10 »
This tutorial leans on this one
http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=7745.0
I will not repeat what is there.

This tutorial can be useful if you have room in your device you want to move the complete authentication controller to, that is used for the XIM3. Remember you will have to use another wired controller to change the settings on the XIM3. I am again not to held responsible for your hardware.

Additional needed Parts:

10x 4900 to 5100 Ohm metal resistors

Remove the Fire buttons.

To remove the fire buttons you need to apply slight lifting pressure to the white plastic while desoldering the three pins of the potentiometer at once. This can be tricky so take your time and make sure your soldering iron is hot and working well.

Add a resistor

If you dont do this the Controller will fire or aim down at all times. You have to zero it down with a resistor. You may use less but as you have the 5K resistors for the Joystick, these will do fine. Solder one resistor like in the picture. Test if the fire button is now in neutral position. If not check your soldering.

Remove the Joysticks

Now you can try to remove them and keep them working or you can pry off the potentiometers that may damage the joystick (or not) but makes desoldering much easier., you decide- Remove as much soldering as you can with a vaccum desoldering pump if you have. Take your time it will come off eventually.

Desolder these points as simultaneously as possible while applying lifting pressure on the joysticks side you are working on. Take your time this can take some.

Then remove the potentiometers, this should be quite easy.

Zero down the Joystick

Now with the complete Joystick removed you have to set the stick in Zero position. Without resistors the stick will look maxed out to one corner. Connect the side contacts of the potentiometers to the center with a 5K Ohm resistor each.

You could also remove the shoulder buttons, there are no resistors required there, just desolder them.

Done, its now a fully neutral working PCB only controller.

Crusade atm: none

Offline Flamemonkey

• MVP
  • Nomnomnom?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: H3X AntiStyle
Re: Tutorial: Naked working neutral controller PCB
« Reply #1 on: 11:37 AM - 04/09/11 »
Roads, it looks like that last picture is with just the shell off - I still see the joystick and shoulder buttons. I assume that was more of a "before" than an "after"?

Do you think that after desoldering everything you could perhaps fit it under an n52te?
I'm thinking of taking that molding clay or whatever from your other mod, and applying it here to get it to fit under the n52te, effectively taking the number of devices needed to just 2.

The M on the cover is supposed to let you know you need to be mature.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03:04 PM - 04/09/11 »
You are right I have it stripped naked completely but there is a photo missing. This whole thread is about the 5K Ohm resistors. I tried to fit it in the N52te but it does not work. Trust me the easiest way is if the modded controller just sits beside the N52te. You pick it up to set the XIM3 sonfigs or to chopper gun.

Offline Flamemonkey

• MVP
  • Nomnomnom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:13 AM - 04/10/11 »
I understand that you wouldn't be able to fit it IN the n52te, I was thinking a shell mod with that modelling clay to make it a bit taller to fit it in that. Or is it too wide?
I'd only be able to do this because I have a spare 360 wired controller that has a fairly faulty control stick.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10:24 AM - 04/10/11 »
Sure you can do that  but you would have to disconnect the controller and plug another to set the XIM3 and that would restart the XIM3.
That faulty controller, what is wrong with it? if itís the right stick I would try the n52te analog mod.

Offline Flamemonkey

• MVP
  • Nomnomnom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:29 AM - 04/10/11 »
Nah it's the left stick, and I personally love the Dpad on the n52 being a dpad. I'm a WASD player, but I far prefer having the Dpad to a numrow. I play significantly better with it just like it is. ;D

I was thinking of having the scroll wheel on the N52te be mapped to keys instead of the wheel (I believe that would work, haven't tested it), and use that to like scroll through profiles, negating the primary downside of restarting the XIM3. Then have the Xbox controller wire be attached to the n52's with some braided sleeving.

Just trying to reduce wire clutter. ;D DX

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10:35 AM - 04/10/11 »
Yes that is possible you can set keys on the scroll wheel.

I hate cable clutter also but the price is too high. Batteries for no cable, nah thanks.

Offline Lurkin374

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: lurkin374
« Reply #7 on: 10:44 AM - 04/10/11 »
if you would use this it would eliminate the having to desolder and pry on components to get them off the board and make for a nicer cleaner area to work with.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:05 AM - 04/10/11 »
Yeah I have that desoldering copper here. I just dont use the PCB so why clean it. Good suggestion.

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
« Reply #9 on: 02:49 PM - 04/12/11 »
You need to use a soldering vacuum then, pulling on components be dangerous! you know that.