XIM Community

Modded X360's? Modding mine currently..  (Read 11370 times)

Offline locked88

• View Profile
Modded X360's? Modding mine currently..
« on: 02:07 AM - 09/14/08 »
I got a new arcade 360 with the HDMI port on it the other day and decided to mod it. I got an aftermarket case and a new shell for the hard drive, different LED colors for the front a new fan to replace the stock for the rear, it lights up blue and I also got a water cooler and some heat sinks for the video ram chips. And can't forget the xim2 and a chrome controller case for the new 005 controller (starting the xim2 soldering/install after I finish the 360 up).

Here's a few pic's what I finished tonight. It just shows the water cooling installed. Tomorrow I'll post up finished pic's in the new case and stuff:

Offline UnrealChrisG

• View Profile
Re: Modded X360's? Modding mine currently..
« Reply #1 on: 03:08 AM - 09/14/08 »
that's awesome, how much did the water cooling cost?

Offline locked88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09:45 AM - 09/14/08 »
I paid $269.99 + shipping.
« Last Edit: 12:42 PM - 09/14/08 by locked88 »

Offline UnrealChrisG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:44 AM - 09/14/08 »
@#$%, a little to much for me

Offline locked88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:40 PM - 09/14/08 »
You could really water cool it for cheaper if you wanted. I just really like the Koolance Exos black housing it holds the pump, resevoir, radiator and the fans all in one nice housing with the temperature display LCD and has a few lvl's of cooling performance to choose from.

It's really probably not needed for most people and is overkill. But modding anything generally is anyway.. more for fun/hobby than practicality. I'm almost finished modding the case then I'll give everything a test run assembled yay.

Then it's xim2 assembly time!! Installing this is going to be harder than the watercooling.. which isn't simple and is extremely easy to screw up. If anyone tries it be super careful of the tiny resistors that are within a few mm's of the mount stand/support of the heatsink springs/retainers on the underside of the board. They can flake off very easily and ruin your board, it took me a couple hours of frustration just to do this part without messing those up.

Offline locked88

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01:40 PM - 09/14/08 »
Quick picture of the first test run of the cooler, fans and 360 with the new items installed. This also confirms I didn't ruin anything on the 360 motherboard installing this stuff, and my water cooler is running efficiently. Woo it's perdy with blue on the front LED and rear fan, and lemme tell ya those rear fans kick out some serious air now. To the touch the video heat sinks are warm already without even playing a game just cruising around the dashboard (no hard drive or DVD drive connected for the test run). I think those were a sound investment for sure now!

Anyway the picture:

Offline UnrealChrisG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02:06 PM - 09/14/08 »
That's really cool, I wish I had some money to burn to get one of those.

Offline Hyperion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04:51 PM - 09/14/08 »
I keep waiting to see how you fit the angle grinder into the xbox 360!  ;D

Seriously though... it looks good, if only it didn't cost so much...

Offline locked88

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09:24 PM - 09/14/08 »
haha yea the angle grinder was really hard to install in there, it really spins the dvd's!! if anyone tries to steal my XIM2 it will deploy automatically and cut off their legs.. or something else :D.

Okay here's a somewhat finished couple pictures. I need to clean it up and get the finger prints off, secure the hoses and wires the way I want to run them. The camera is yellowing everything for some reason just a tad gives it a gloomy look. But otherwise it's 100% finished assembly wise. The pictures do not do justice to how nice this thing looks in person, the case has a smoked type of finish *it is not an elite* it's a completely blacked out aftermarket case and the hard drive shell is all black also and looks much much nicer than an elite case. I'll try get my friends elite over here for a side by side shot. The flash really covers up the blue glow too, I'll snap a couple night time pic's it's pretty nice looking.

Was a really fun project all in all, gives me some satisfaction knowing it's cooled much better than stock and looks a lot cooler too!

Now onto the xim2! Wish me luck I'll need it.. that bugger is tiny.

« Last Edit: 09:38 PM - 09/14/08 by locked88 »

Offline xSir Nubx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10:57 PM - 09/14/08 »
THAT HAS TO BE THE MOST BAD @#$% CONSOLE I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!

Do you see any improvement in your games' performance with that cooling? I really just wish all 360 games ran at a steady 60 fps, I dont care if they look crappy. I go to PC for graphics, I go to a console for smooth cheater free simple gameplay.

Offline locked88

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12:53 AM - 09/15/08 »
I haven't given it the Oblivion marathon test yet. There are scenes in there that are a bear to load and used to freeze sometimes on my old console, which I feel was a heat issue because leading into the freeze was choppy frames and eventually lead to red rings of death one night after 4-5hrs of gaming, on those same problem load areas no less.

There is zero heat coming out of the 360 on the rear exhaust which is impressive I think. The air is the exact same temperature as my room temperature now. It used to be around 95-100* sometimes even higher (I have a heat sensor back there).

« Last Edit: 01:56 AM - 09/15/08 by locked88 »

Offline locked88

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05:13 PM - 09/16/08 »
I gamed almost all day on Oblivion and I saw none of the issue I had on my other console. I do believe the cooler helps, my temps are still room temperature or 1-* higher than room temp on the exhaust of the case.

Anybody know how to get the fps on the screen? I've never done it maybe someone can compare their stock 360 with mine on the same game/scene.

Offline AngrySoul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05:10 AM - 09/17/08 »
I used a small fridge like on this link http://www.homeelegancecenter.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HNSB02BB  that I brough from college to keep my console cool...

Offline locked88

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11:09 AM - 09/17/08 »
That wouldn't work, not for long anyway. The compressors are not designed to run constant, the fridges aren't designed to cool heat sources either. The compressor would die after just a day or two. Not to mention condensation. Probably lucky if it worked for you or managed to game a few mins at a time and didn't do any marathons.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12:51 PM - 09/21/08 »
My area is always set at 72 degrees, so it's always nice and cool in my area. I have a 120mm fan on the back of the shelf it sits on that blows on it and it never really gets hot, warm MAYBE but not really much more than that even after several hours (around 5 or so today, yesterday was around 8). Cool though, I just don't see the pay off doing it other than bragging rights. Then again I could be wrong?
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.