XIM Community

How do you use the Deadzone Finder?  (Read 4787 times)

Offline Tonester

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: EpicNerd
  • PSN ID: A_McCulley
How do you use the Deadzone Finder?
« on: 12:33 AM - 09/13/08 »
I can't seem to figure it out for the life of me.  Do you have to be in game (I would assume you do)?

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
Re: How do you use the Deadzone Finder?
« Reply #1 on: 09:46 AM - 09/13/08 »
I can't seem to figure it out for the life of me.  Do you have to be in game (I would assume you do)?

clicking and dragging points puts the virtual stick at that spot. so click and drag the point along the x axis until you see in-game movement. use arrow keys to nudge the point (you may have to highlight it with the mouse). get that point to a spot where you would like it to be if you moved your mouse the smallest amount possible.

then do the same thing with the y axis by right clicking your last point to create a new one. this leaves the first point as a marker and the new active one is at 0,0...  So get it where you want it on the y axis. It may or may not be around the same numbers as the x axis, it depends on the game.  you should now have a basic idea of what your going to use four your "deadzone" setting. Its usually what number you came up with on the x axis. If you want you can mirror the points on the other sides of the x and y axis but it isn't required.

Now, for deadzone shape. make a new point and drag it diagonally slowly until you see minute movement and let it go. keep doing this in the same diagonal at slightly different angles. you should eventually see a basic shape making an angle or a curve. A curve is a circle and the angle is a square. (of course :P )
« Last Edit: 09:52 AM - 09/13/08 by OMGsus »

Offline Tonester

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:08 AM - 09/13/08 »
Ah - will have to do this on my laptop then.  I use the same screen for xbox and computer.  heh No wonder. :)

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
« Reply #3 on: 02:22 PM - 09/13/08 »
Ah - will have to do this on my laptop then.  I use the same screen for xbox and computer.  heh No wonder. :)

heh, me too.. let me tell you its tricky but possible..

Offline SKAG187

• MVP
  • PHD in Teledildonics (a pioneer in the field)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:01 PM - 09/15/08 »
Ok got ximdeadzoner working (thanks Nick) but how do I determine the deadzones size?
PHD in Teledildonics

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:59 PM - 09/15/08 »
Ok got ximdeadzoner working (thanks Nick) but how do I determine the deadzones size?

Well, as we were discussing ( I opened this thread http://xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=1064.0 to go over some of what you are asking here.) The X and Y coordinates are shown by the numbers in the upper left in the XXXX/XXXX format.

The numbers represented are interpreted as the size of the deadzone if it is either square or circle.

That is what I was communicating  across. HOwever, as we discussed further that is assuming the deadzone is a perfect square or circle. The circle I don't seem to have issue with, but the square I may have issue with , or may not (still hashing that one out).

Based off if it is square or circle (as set in the Xim360 config screen) the number in the upper left (either left side or right side) could be used for the deadzone. If it is a circle, the diameter would't change so therefore using something like 7200 would assume the circle is the same - all the way around.

Square is the same concept, I'll take UT3 as an example since we spent extensive time tuning and testing multiple settings and discussing all of this, but put it here for others to recap our converasation.  Using a square deadzone assumes it is the same on all sides, unless it's a rectangle which call me crazy it *appears* that ut3 is a slight rectangle, but again I am not positive on that. So assuming xim 360 places the exact size square (based on the deadzone we came up with) that would be the size.

That other thread I put the suggestions for a few things, so I'll leave it be for now.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline wildstyle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05:33 PM - 09/15/08 »
i think it would be better if some one did a short vid on how to use dead zone

Offline Tonester

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09:48 PM - 09/15/08 »
I finally figured it out :)

1) Start XIM (use whatever game config you want for now - we are just doing this for the menu manipulation)

2) Start up whatever game you want to test.  This works best in an area of the game where you won't run out of time, be shot at - its also important to make sure you aren't in some tutorial part of the game where some or all of your controls are limited.

3) Once you are in game and comfortable with your peaceful environment, close down the XIM program.

4) Start up the Deadzone Finder program now.

5) Left click and hold on the center circle and move it along the X Axis very slowly while watching your ingame screen.  As soon as you see the crosshair start to move in game, let go of the left mouse button.  This "marks" the first point on the deadzone.

6) Right click the mark you just made and this will create a new mark - once again at the center of the deadzone.

7) Left click this mark and move it along the Y axis until you barely see the crosshair ingame move once more.  Release the left mouse button as soon as this happens.

8) From here, you basically have points of reference for the X and Y axis.  Now, you need to create new marks (by right clicking).  Then, left click the new marks and drag them at all sorts of angles between the x and y axis.  After enough marks, you should get an idea as to whether or not the deadzone ingame is square or circular (by connecting the dots so to speak).

9) If you hover your mouse over a dot and before making a new one, you can use the arrow keys to "nudge" it by 1 for finer control.

10) Once you have your dots, your x and y axis, you can look at the number(s) in the top left corner.  These should represent your deadzone for that game.

Offline Ding Chavez

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DcIhNaGv3z
« Reply #8 on: 10:39 PM - 09/15/08 »
Imo the deadzone tool can be misleading.  It basically only tells you the shape of the deadzone but not much more.

The deadzone setting is basically the starting point of mouse-to-joystick translation.  The whole point of this setting is to start the translation outside the joysticks deadzone so that minute mouse input results in in-game movement.

The problem is, depending on your translation exponent, the “true” controller deadzone setting might start your mouse input at the wrong spot.  See, the translation exponent will boost then taper-off mouse input.  The lower the translation exponent, the more sever the initial boost is and also the more sever the taper-off is.  So if the translation exponent is low-ish (I use .43) and if you start your input at the “true” deadzone, this will cause your site to lurch past most of your minute mouse control.  However, you can bury some of that initial boost within the controller’s deadzone by simply lowering the setting.

That’s my two cents on the subject.

Offline xSir Nubx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10:53 PM - 09/15/08 »
Man this is a little hard if your computer monitor is also your TV for your xbox.

Offline Tonester

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11:34 PM - 09/15/08 »
Yea - I take whatever the average deadzone is and subtract anywhere from 500 to 1000 from it.  It seems to work pretty well.

Offline SKAG187

• MVP
  • PHD in Teledildonics (a pioneer in the field)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07:34 AM - 09/16/08 »
Man this is a little hard if your computer monitor is also your TV for your xbox.

PIP is your friend ;)
PHD in Teledildonics

Offline xSir Nubx

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08:40 PM - 09/16/08 »
Lol, when I got my custom NEC monitor made the PIP only works for the DVI not the VGA(at my dorm I use my laptop to the VGA). So all will be fine at my house, but here at my dorm I will be having a hassle. I might just keep the laptop off the monitor.

Admin