XIM Community

Question about XIM circuit board and how it relates to consoles  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
I've been following this for a little while and reading through all the various posts and had a question about the board that you use in the design. The Silicon Labs ToolStick Starter Kit.

I'm not sure if I interpreted things correctly, but from what I gathered reading through the instructions, is that the computer with the XIM software is sending emulated PS2 commands out the USB port. The board with the firmware then converts the PS2 commands from the USB cable out the appropriate wire to the PS2 extension cable, which is plugged into the XFPS which then translates the PS2 controller into a 360 controller making this whole thing work.

Is this the correct interpretation of the function of the board? Is the computer sending out PS2 commands? I take that from this section of the instructions

"As I mentioned, the XFPS can convert PS2 controller input to Xbox 360 input. This meant that I needed to emulate a PS2 controller."

Now to get to my point, if the computer is emulating the PS2 controller, essentially becoming a virtual controller, would one of these PS2 to USB adapters that are being made by numerous companies these days essentially be a XIM?

The only difference being that it would be a female PS2 connector rather than male in the current build?

Also, would that mean that the XIM software could potentially be used on a PS3 without any adapters? People have confirmed that the XIM, plugged into a PS2 >USB adapter for PS3 does work. So would a male to male USB cable straight from the computer to PS3 with XIM software running be detected as a PS2 controller since version 1.7 of PS3 firmware gave it increased support for PS2 controllers.

Any input is appreciated.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Juncti,

Could you provide a link to the adapter you are referring to? All USB-PS2 adapters I've seen enable you to connect a PS2 peripheral (i.e. controller, dance pad, etc.) to a PC. The translation is unidirectional PS2 -> USB (not the other way around).
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
Those are the adapters I'm talking about. I don't have any links handy, but I posted a few of the newer one's I found in the XIM>>PS3 thread.

Apparently since firmware 1.7, you can plug those PS2 to USB converters into the USB on the PS3 and use PS2 controllers. Some are less effective than others, but overall it paved the way to use XIM on PS3 as you'll see a few people mention doing in that thread.

That got me to thinking maybe this was the eureka for anyone needing a XIM, but not as technically inclined as you or the other builders. All they would possibly need would be a male to male PS2 adapter to bridge the connection.

Secondarily (I don't own a 360 yet, just a PS3), I was wondering if us PS3 users were jumping through too many hoops to go from PC >USB > XIM > PS2 connector > PS2 adapter > USB > PS3.

Thought maybe we could just go PC > USB > PS3. Thereby turning the XIM into a Rosetta stone of of controller adapters for both of the major consoles.

Does the XIM software that runs while using it send out emulated commands of a PS2 controller and if so, what does the that circuit board and firmware do? Is that just a USB > PS2 translator?

It would be amazing if PS3 owners could actually XIM their setup just using a male to male USB wire.

Either way, when the XIM2 hits, I'll likely buy a 360. In the meantime, I've been remaining focused on a similar config for the PS3.

Thanks for the input.