XIM Community

Azeron Cyborg Compact is out...  (Read 292 times)

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Azeron Cyborg Compact is out...
« on: 04:47 PM - 05/19/22 »
Azeron has released a new model, the Cyborg Compact. That makes my 5th Azeron purchase...dagnammit...but this one looks like the end-game model for both XIM and PC gaming.

I bought the original Azeron a few years ago, but didn't like the towers, nor the ergonomic wrist rest which caused impingement in my wrist due to the odd angle it forced my hand to take for the device to be usable. Azeron also hadn't created the 5-way d-pad hat at that stage, which was a major shortcoming.

When the Azeron Compact released, it was a revolution. We have the XIM community to thank for that model, in particular Roads, who suggested they ditch the towers and replace them with buttons, and W11cE for contributing to the firmware to ensure compatibility with XIM.

Azeron Compact is an excellent device, so I bought a backup Compact in case mine ever bit the dust (I'm a lefty, so can't use G13, Orbweaver, Tartarus etc). Both have the flat wrist rest, which is significantly more comfortable than the ergo model.

The fourth Azeron I bought was the Cyborg, but again I hated the towers. I haven't used it at all in favour of the older Compacts because of this. I've wanted to cut off the towers from day dot and we finally have that option with the Cyborg Compact.

Don't be me - go straight for the good stuff and get ye a Cyborg Compact with flat wrist rest pronto. They're live now on the https://azeron.eu site and will ship in May / June, depending on your place in the queue.
« Last Edit: 05:51 PM - 05/19/22 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: Azeron Cyborg Compact is out...
« Reply #1 on: 04:58 PM - 05/19/22 »
Thanks for the heads up -- they make amazing products. Are they still all 3D printed?
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #2 on: 05:13 PM - 05/19/22 »
Yes, they're still 3D printed. They've grown a lot as a company in the last 4 years so the quality has improved. Their marketing is really good, 3D videos are great and Discord community support is excellent.

Cyborg Compact is by far the best model to use for XIM gaming. I love the Compact models too (and still use them in favour of the Cyborg), but the additional row of rear buttons and the pinky side button on the Cyborg Compact expand its usability for PC gaming too.

I've asked Azeron if they'll consider making a modification kit to transform a Cyborg into a Cyborg Compact, but doubt it'll happen (some rewiring will be needed). It might be a factory option though, so I've sounded out that pathway too.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 05:18 PM - 05/19/22 »
I wonder why they don't switch to injection molding. Understood the tooling can get expensive, but, I wonder how 3D printing can be effective in the long run.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #4 on: 05:51 PM - 05/19/22 »
It's because of how customisable the Azeron is when ordering. Every component can be a different colour, if you're willing to pay for it. They also offer custom nameplates.

I'd be interested in an injection molded retail model and would sell them on my site.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #5 on: 05:53 PM - 05/19/22 »
I'd be interested in an injection molded retail model and would sell them on my site.

That really seems like a great idea that they should consider. Still do all the custom stuff, but offer lower cost mass produced model.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #6 on: 06:00 PM - 05/19/22 »
A full black model would still sell very well. I need to email Imants about something else and will see if he's considered a retail model. The time seems about right in his product development and business capacity to think about it.

Offline pulpbiggles

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: LordofBiggles
  • PSN ID: PulpBiggles
« Reply #7 on: 05:29 AM - 05/20/22 »
Azeron has released a new model, the Cyborg Compact. That makes my 5th Azeron purchase...dagnammit...but this one looks like the end-game model for both XIM and PC gaming.

I bought the original Azeron a few years ago, but didn't like the towers, nor the ergonomic wrist rest which caused impingement in my wrist due to the odd angle it forced my hand to take for the device to be usable. Azeron also hadn't created the 5-way d-pad hat at that stage, which was a major shortcoming.

When the Azeron Compact released, it was a revolution. We have the XIM community to thank for that model, in particular Roads, who suggested they ditch the towers and replace them with buttons, and W11cE for contributing to the firmware to ensure compatibility with XIM.

Azeron Compact is an excellent device, so I bought a backup Compact in case mine ever bit the dust (I'm a lefty, so can't use G13, Orbweaver, Tartarus etc). Both have the flat wrist rest, which is significantly more comfortable than the ergo model.

The fourth Azeron I bought was the Cyborg, but again I hated the towers. I haven't used it at all in favour of the older Compacts because of this. I've wanted to cut off the towers from day dot and we finally have that option with the Cyborg Compact.

Don't be me - go straight for the good stuff and get ye a Cyborg Compact with flat wrist rest pronto. They're live now on the https://azeron.eu site and will ship in May / June, depending on your place in the queue.

So gutted that I ordered the ordinary Compact only a couple of weeks before they launched this one!

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07:49 AM - 05/20/22 »
Sometimes i feel like less is more when looking at this new model. I dont understand for why they arent just copying the popular N52-te/Tartarus layout instead of going with these extremly futuristic looking button arrays. A numberblock with a handrest and an analog stick. Or a Sony Nav clone but with more buttons. There is literally no competition in both of these niche markets, all competitors are either discontinued or have major flaws (g13, sony nav, tartarus, ...).
People want such things for years and Azeron is pretty much the only company who could offer that. But instead they continue to create even more of these odd looking devices.

Similar story with their new Cheddar model, i dont understand the need for an inbuilt mouse sensor at all. 90% of their customers will not use that but put a tape on the sensor.
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #9 on: 03:37 PM - 05/20/22 »
pulp, the Compact is still excellent and the height and angle is more comfortable than the Cyborg. I donít use anywhere close to the full array of buttons for console, so there are plenty of them to go around for XIM gaming. Iíll use the extra 5 buttons on Cyborg Compact more for PC gaming with reWASD in RPG & RTS games than for consoles.

I donít use the bottom row on an Azeron at all, nor the nail button for ring, or any of the pinky buttons. I find the rear Azeron buttons for fingertip most comfortable to use, so the second row should improve bindable key options, for say quick selecting weapons in PC shooters.

Od1n, the main problem for me is Iím a lefty, so no-one else makes a keypad for the right hand, otherwise Iíd settle for a Tartarus with an analog stick. Azeron Compacts are very comfortable to use, so Iím happy with the oddball design.

The mice I can use are also very restrictive for available buttons. Apparently lefties are incapable of using more than a basic mouse and we have no thumbs, so no manufacturers offer anything close to a G502 or Swiftpoint Z. Normally, I only have 6 buttons (inc mousewheel up, down, click) at my disposal on a G305 and I could use at least one more as the side buttons are on the wrong side.

I finally solved that a couple of weeks ago with the new Pwnage Ultra Custom Ambi, which has literally every feature Iíve wanted on a mouse for decades (check out their mice at https://pwnage.com).

After 40 years of video gaming I finally have the end-game setup for a lefty in the Cyborg Compact and Pwnage Ambi. Weíre literally decades behind righties for gaming gear options, so Iím happy as a pig in poo.
« Last Edit: 03:57 PM - 05/20/22 by antithesis »

Admin