XIM Community

Second time my XIM has broken (Need advice)  (Read 349 times)

Offline DD27

• View Profile
Second time my XIM has broken (Need advice)
« on: 04:21 AM - 05/18/22 »
So having the XIM for while, i have noticed these things are not built to last as the bit that connects into USB ( metal casing) after a while seems to come off completely and 2nd time this has happened.

i am looking into purchasing a third but have noticed you guys are not selling them on Amazon anymore? and i cannot find anywhere that it selling them apart from eBay where people are selling them for like £200 (sterling) which is way more than what i have paid?

Any help would be appreciated, just feel bit annoyed that second time its happened :(, product itself is great just feel its not made to last and eventually metal bit just falls off and breaks?

Regards

DD27

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: Second time my XIM has broken (Need advice)
« Reply #1 on: 04:47 AM - 05/18/22 »
I'm still using the first retail XIM APEX unit we were sent as alpha testers 4 or 5 years ago and it's seen almost daily use ever since. So I'd dispute the "not built to last" claim...how you handle your toys is important.

Given parts are no longer available for XIM APEX and they're not being manufactured due to component shortages, your best bet may be a DIY solder repair, or to take it to a local electronics repair shop to replace the USB head.

In the future, connect your XIM (or any other USB device) to a short USB cable with a power switch in the middle to prevent USB port wear & tear.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline GamingNerd

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10:01 PM - 05/18/22 »
I still have my xim 4 that I bought on release and also my xim apex which I purchased on release. Neither has given me any issues. They are pretty well made in my opinion You must be handling the device pretty rough for it to break.
The Xim is not a magical tool that is going to make you a god. Time, effort and perseverance is what will take your gaming to the next level.

[Ps4] [Sony Nav] [T9 Gamepad] [Logitech G502 Proteus] [Dpi's: 12,000, 3200, 4000, 2400] [Syncs: Off and Common]

Offline InZane

• Discord: InZane#9684
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:46 PM - 05/21/22 »
I'm still using the first retail XIM APEX unit we were sent as alpha testers 4 or 5 years ago and it's seen almost daily use ever since. So I'd dispute the "not built to last" claim...how you handle your toys is important.

Given parts are no longer available for XIM APEX and they're not being manufactured due to component shortages, your best bet may be a DIY solder repair, or to take it to a local electronics repair shop to replace the USB head.

In the future, connect your XIM (or any other USB device) to a short USB cable with a power switch in the middle to prevent USB port wear & tear.

Do you really need a powered usb cable to get power on the apex? Ive been using the apex for a long time on console but the usb has been a little bended after beeing pulled in and out multiple times so i rather be safe than sorry so getting a short usb extension should make it easier
XIM APEX | PS5 | Xbox One X | Glorious Model O/Logitech G502 | QPAD MK-90 | Astro A40/Logitech G35 | BenQ 144hz

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #4 on: 10:50 PM - 05/21/22 »
It's not a powered USB cable, it's a USB cable with a power switch in the middle. That way it never needs to be unplugged :)

Like this one - https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Extension-Extender-Switch/dp/B08M44D79T

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Dodge

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11:09 AM - 05/22/22 »
It's not a powered USB cable, it's a USB cable with a power switch in the middle. That way it never needs to be unplugged :)

Like this one - https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Extension-Extender-Switch/dp/B08M44D79T

I tried the cable with the power switch. Although it was a power and data cable, my controller always switched itself off.
Xim 1000hz | Viper V2 Pro 1000hz | 1800 DPI

Offline Pigy33

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11:17 AM - 05/22/22 »
Yeah Iím pretty disappointed with the build design of the Xim Apex vs Xim 4. I broke my first Xim Apex when I bent it up to plug in my optical cord to connect my Astro Mixamp Pro to my PS4 Pro without thinking about it. Then I did the same thing with the second Xim Apex but luckily the circuitry didnít break, but the plastic part broke off and the usb came through and I had to snap it back on and also like you said the part that plugs into the usb is broken, every time I plug it into something and unplug it the USB part comes off and I have to yank it out and attach it back with the 4 prongs.

To fix this problem I have a small 3 inch usb extender so I just keep my Xim Apex into there so I never unplug it and if I do the same thing again then it will just bend the pliable usb extender rather than breaking my 100$+ Xim Apex.

Hopefully the new M/Kb adapter has a small usb extender or an extended cord to address this issue as itís really easy to break the Xim Apex on PS4 Pro literally by just plugging your Mix Amp Pro in before the Xim Apex.

Offline facade

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: xi scion ix
  • PSN ID: SeneschalGrigori
« Reply #7 on: 07:18 AM - 05/23/22 »
Honestly I have every launch XIM from XIM3 forward and every one of them still work after excessive daily use.

Granted malfunctions/defects occur but I also use a small USB extension cable so I'm not pulling it straight out of the consoles repeatedly and it always has some slack and isn't pulling directly on the console ports.

Offline DD27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07:39 AM - 05/23/22 »
I took your advice! i went to a local electronic store and they repaired the bit you plug into XBOX, replaced metal head and wires.

Without you telling me this i would not have thought about it and it only cost me £10.00, funny thing i have another older XIM apex which had exact same issue hence why i bought another one and did not think to repair this, and the older XIM from year ago contains older ST of PUBG which may be useful for other people so thank you for the advice :)

Online mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09:02 AM - 05/25/22 »
If it's happened twice it may be a good idea to use a short extension cable between APEX and console going forward. 1'-3' in length would be ideal. Power loss increases with cable length so keeping it short will help avoid stability problems related to power draw.
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Admin