XIM Community

Alternative to keyboard / sony navi  (Read 616 times)

Offline year0

• MVP
    • View Profile
Alternative to keyboard / sony navi
« on: 10:56 PM - 05/08/22 »
My navi is about at the end of its life and i was wondering what alternatives people are using with good results? Iíve literally never used a keyboard for gaming (and donít really want to) either but i know there are some other devices people use and wanted her a recommendation?
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: Alternative to keyboard / sony navi
« Reply #1 on: 11:15 PM - 05/08/22 »
Azeron Compact. Flat wrist rest. Join us. You know you want to.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline pulpbiggles

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: LordofBiggles
  • PSN ID: PulpBiggles
« Reply #2 on: 06:54 AM - 05/09/22 »

I've joined - my Azeron Compact arrives today. I must be mad, I get to play about 2 hours a week and I just keep buying gmaing gear I'll barely use!

Offline TurboMan

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07:50 AM - 05/09/22 »
Azeron seems like the obvious choice, but I own one myself and it's just sat in the box collecting dust. It's a nice idea but it needs a lot of improvement IMO. It's supposed to be a controller-keyboard hybrid but it fails to effectively bring some controller features along with it.

Firstly, the "L3" button i.e. clicking in the thumbstick to sprint - it's ridiculously stiff and it's just not practical to press it while playing. I've been lifting for 10+ years so my wrist/hand strength is substantial but yeah, even I have trouble. Also the "directional hat" is no replacement for a d-pad, it's so fiddly and for someone who plays battle royale games like myself, looting with it is a pain. Also for someone with big hands like me, the ergonomics aren't good, sat there for hours tinkering and adjusting everything and still couldn't get it feeling comfortable.

I really hope in the near future, XIM release a nunchuck style controller similar to the Nav with more accessible buttons on top rather than just the two shoulder buttons. Absolutely guaranteed to sell, given the fairly large number of Nav users that play on a XIM.

Offline year0

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09:02 AM - 05/09/22 »

Is that made by razer? when i googled it a bunch of their stuff comes up?
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #5 on: 10:08 AM - 05/09/22 »
Who maps L3 to Sprint, unless forced to? It's used far too frequently to relegate to a clunky stick press.

I bind Sprint to my ring finger pull (fingerprint), Jump on index, Crouch on middle. All three chain neatly for complex movement.

I like the d-pad and there are 24 buttons to map to whatever you want wherever you want.

Analog movement is the big one and Azeron does a great job of that by allowing it to be calibrated. It also works perfectly for wheel menus using an AUX with stick swap.

Azeron makes Azerons. Compact is IMHO the most comfortable and best model. I have the Classic and Cyborg and loathe the towers.
« Last Edit: 10:25 AM - 05/09/22 by antithesis »

Offline TurboMan

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04:14 PM - 05/09/22 »
Who maps L3 to Sprint, unless forced to? It's used far too frequently to relegate to a clunky stick press.

I bind Sprint to my ring finger pull (fingerprint), Jump on index, Crouch on middle. All three chain neatly for complex movement.

I like the d-pad and there are 24 buttons to map to whatever you want wherever you want.

Analog movement is the big one and Azeron does a great job of that by allowing it to be calibrated. It also works perfectly for wheel menus using an AUX with stick swap.

Azeron makes Azerons. Compact is IMHO the most comfortable and best model. I have the Classic and Cyborg and loathe the towers.

Having sprint right there on your left thumb is just intuitive. Moving forward and clicking in, almost like pushing into the ground with your feed to start a sprint IRL. It's not clunky on most controllers, it's however just not practical on the Azeron.

Maybe this is just the lifelong controller player in me speaking here, but I gather that controller players converting to mouse are the Azeron's primary market and several people I've spoken to have the same complaints re: key controller features missing from this cross-over device.

It's why I'm always confused by the lack of actual d-pad - really can't wrap my head around the discussion in the Azeron office about having this fiddly hat instead of just a tried and trusted d-pad.

So, for me, the Nav is the better device to pair with a mouse when using the XIM - the ergonomics, the actually functional L3 button, the actual d-pad... the only gripe of course is the lack of buttons that can be accessed without taking one's hand off the stick, but even then there are some tricks you can use to free up the thumb to access the d-pad on the move and of course mice with multiple buttons.

I manage to make it all work with a very simple G305 mouse as a battle royale player, but an extra button or two on the top of the Nav would of course be more convenient.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #7 on: 04:54 PM - 05/09/22 »
How are you mapping your Azeron? Iíll post mine, if youíre interested.

I use a G305 too and canít access the side-buttons (lefty mouser), but have a very comfortable control scheme setup on Azeron to compensate for my lack of mouse buttons.

I find the Nav too small with too few buttons to be usable with G305. It never felt right in my hand.

For me, Azeron is right up there with XIM as a game changer, I wouldnít play any game without it, including on PC (reWASD integration is great).

Have you seen the new Azeron device mock-ups? Itís much closer to a Nav and has some interesting features like inbuilt mouse sensor and scrollwheel. I would never use it as a mouse, but it looks viable as a Nav replacement if you think of it as a mini Azeron.

Offline preston47s

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07:14 PM - 05/09/22 »
I use a Splitfish FragFX Chuck which seems to have a lot of similarity with your Sony Nav, I pair it with the Razer Naga Trinity which you can add about 10 buttons on your thumb area
Setup: Xim Apex ─► VirtualBox with PSRC
Controllers: SplitFish FragChuck + Razer Naga Trinity

Offline Domenic.HRO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05:20 AM - 05/10/22 »
I use a Splitfish FragFX Chuck which seems to have a lot of similarity with your Sony Nav, I pair it with the Razer Naga Trinity which you can add about 10 buttons on your thumb area

Does the Splitfish FragFX Chuck work with the xim without restrictions?  Are all keys assignable via the xim manager?

Offline Domenic.HRO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05:22 AM - 05/10/22 »

does the Splitfish FragFX Chuck work wired or wireless with xim apex?

Offline preston47s

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07:30 PM - 05/10/22 »
Does the Splitfish FragFX Chuck work with the xim without restrictions?  Are all keys assignable via the xim manager?

does the Splitfish FragFX Chuck work wired or wireless with xim apex?

It definitely works without limitations, one button cannot be assigned because it is specifically for creating macros, the remaining buttons are assignable.

It's wireless

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #12 on: 07:37 PM - 05/10/22 »
*whisper* SplitFish products have awful build quality.

I bought two FragFX devices (wired & wireless) before I discovered XIM 3, roughly 11 years ago. They're bottom of the barrel stuff, only use their stuff if you're desperate and have no other options.

Offline TurboMan

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08:33 AM - 05/11/22 »
Yeah, I see no advantages of a Splitfish over a Nav (huge missed opportunity with that "programming" button to just have it as an extra functional button and have the programming button elsewhere) and the Nav can generally be picked up for a lot less $

Offline preston47s

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11:06 AM - 05/11/22 »
Yeah, I see no advantages of a Splitfish over a Nav (huge missed opportunity with that "programming" button to just have it as an extra functional button and have the programming button elsewhere) and the Nav can generally be picked up for a lot less $
It isn't as cheap as the Nav but it's main advantage over the Nav is the handling design over the Nav, I have a Nav myself and there's no way I am playing with this controller over the Fragchuck. Nav is designed more like a TV remote, while the Fragchuck is designed to grip on your hand. I must say thr build quality isn't the best for sure.

Admin