XIM Community

Finished last night with pics  (Read 6439 times)

Offline SKAG187

• MVP
  • PHD in Teledildonics (a pioneer in the field)
    • View Profile
Finished last night with pics
« on: 08:14 AM - 09/10/08 »
Ok my DIY kit arrived Monday at work, I was off so it was waiting for me yesterday when I walked in. at first I wasn't going to totally "go for it" because I thought I would need a pencil tip to do the board connections, and some more flux since the solder I had on hand was very small. So I was just going to do the leads from the PCB. but after that I was feeling capable.

« Last Edit: 08:50 AM - 09/10/08 by SKAG187 »
PHD in Teledildonics

Offline Petricore

• View Profile
Re: Finished last night with pics
« Reply #1 on: 08:28 AM - 09/10/08 »
I really like how you ran the new usb through the top part, but it doesnt look like you put anything to protect it if someone yanked (or tripped) on it.

Offline Chris612

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: silentkiller747
« Reply #2 on: 08:30 AM - 09/10/08 »
Nice work.

Quick question for you and all other DIYers. I'm having a terribly hard time soldering to the xim2 board. The controller connections are a cakewalk in comparison to this... Is there a special technique or something else I could be doing better?
Proud owner of an XIM2 DIY Noob Owning Machine, and now an XIM3!

Offline SKAG187

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08:45 AM - 09/10/08 »
I really like how you ran the new usb through the top part, but it doesnt look like you put anything to protect it if someone yanked (or tripped) on it.

sorry it's not pictured but I used a small wire tie to secure it to the main cable inside the controller

Besides if someone else so much as looks at it hard I'll break their legs. I have 3 wireless controllers for visitors, nobody touches my xim360!
« Last Edit: 09:08 AM - 09/10/08 by SKAG187 »
PHD in Teledildonics

Offline SKAG187

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08:47 AM - 09/10/08 »
Nice work.

Quick question for you and all other DIYers. I'm having a terribly hard time soldering to the xim2 board. The controller connections are a cakewalk in comparison to this... Is there a special technique or something else I could be doing better?

all I can say is be sure to tin the wire AND the pads, sparingly tho, and keep your hands as steady as possible.
PHD in Teledildonics

Offline xavier_s37

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:48 AM - 09/10/08 »
hey skag, you use flux?

Offline Petricore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08:50 AM - 09/10/08 »

sorry it's not pictured but I used a small wire tie to secure it to the main cable inside the controller

Good to know, thanks !

Offline SKAG187

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08:51 AM - 09/10/08 »
hey skag, you use flux?

the only flux used was what was in the solder
PHD in Teledildonics

Offline xavier_s37

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08:57 AM - 09/10/08 »
when you tinned the pads on the xim360, do you touch the iron to the board to heat the pad up then apply solder?

i got some flux, because my solder is rosin core, i dont think theres any flux in it so i got some stand alone flux because someone was telling me it almost "sucks" the solder to the joint.

Offline SKAG187

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09:03 AM - 09/10/08 »
when you tinned the pads on the xim360, do you touch the iron to the board to heat the pad up then apply solder?

i got some flux, because my solder is rosin core, i dont think theres any flux in it so i got some stand alone flux because someone was telling me it almost "sucks" the solder to the joint.

pretty much, touch the tip of the iron onto the pad, count 2, touch a tiny bit of solder and it will wick onto the heated pad. Do the same for the wire and it goes pretty easy.
PHD in Teledildonics

Offline Chris612

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: silentkiller747
« Reply #10 on: 09:10 AM - 09/10/08 »
thank you very much guys. great tips!
Proud owner of an XIM2 DIY Noob Owning Machine, and now an XIM3!

Offline Tonester

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: EpicNerd
  • PSN ID: A_McCulley
« Reply #11 on: 10:26 AM - 09/10/08 »
From what I've read and seen on "how to solder" vids, this is how they tin safely:

1) Secure whatever you are tinning so that you do NOT have to hold it with one of your hands.  You need both hands free.

2) Once it is secure, secure your iron in 1 hand and your soldering wire in the other hand.

3) In somewhat rapid succession, you want to touch the iron to your connection, pull it back and immediately touch the solder iron to the heated connection and pull it back quickly.  It won't work the first couple of times, but as soon as the iron heats up the pad enough, the solder will melt onto your connection.

The trick (again, from what I've seen/read) is that you only want to heat your connection just enough to melt the solder and no hotter.  This trick ensures that you only heat it enough to melt the solder.  We've already seen 1 fried board.  And, holding it for "count to 2" is really relative from 1 iron/solder to the next - i.e. don't rely on that for your own iron, board, solder, etc.

Offline miraged

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11:00 AM - 09/10/08 »
Nice install, I like it.

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11:19 AM - 09/10/08 »
very clean!

Offline SKAG187

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01:53 PM - 09/10/08 »
thank you all for the complements on my install

you guys are really nice
PHD in Teledildonics