XIM Community

Lap-Desk Options  (Read 7659 times)

Offline BaRaCudA

• View Profile
Lap-Desk Options
« on: 08:08 PM - 02/18/11 »
For all you couch players ... what lap-desk setup do you use? Anyone have one that allows the top surface to be adjusted both in height and tilt? I am hoping to be able to buy one rather than make my own. I haven't had much luck finding one that fills both those needs.

Offline Tarkle

• View Profile
Re: Lap-Desk Options
« Reply #1 on: 08:10 PM - 02/18/11 »
I think I might just be using a card table, that way my mouse and keyboard an everything fit. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see the suggestions you get though. I think Obv had a thread about "Gaming from your Couch", but it kinda blew up into 500 posts.  I would like to see pure suggestions from here.

Offline BaRaCudA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09:40 PM - 02/18/11 »
Anyone use one of these?
Looks like it has room for everything I need and can tilt etc. Concerned about quality .... at only $17.99

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20078234

Offline bushmaster2000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09:44 PM - 02/18/11 »
wonder how sturdy it is.

Offline jboyse

• XIM3 Rules!!!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Soulztealer
« Reply #4 on: 09:46 PM - 02/18/11 »
This is what I have it is sweet
Fragem and Bagem

Offline Sandman482

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Crowley
« Reply #5 on: 09:47 PM - 02/18/11 »
I'll probably sit in the floor with my mess on the coffee table. LOL

At least until I get something else figured out. Saw some decent lap desks with padding on the bottom for comfort and built in mouse pads at BestBuy, but I hate buying things from them, I usually just go and browse when I'm bored.

----Edit----

lol would you like a spot of tea with your pwnage?
« Last Edit: 09:52 PM - 02/18/11 by Sandman482 »

Offline Glooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10:03 PM - 02/18/11 »
If you play on an armchair then a piece of 3'x1'. For a sofa I'd recommend an overbed table.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overbed-Table-Height-Angle-Adjustable/dp/B0039YO5B4

They're a bit wobbly at the free end, but the area above the legs is fine, which is where the mouse goes. Check you're happy with the minimum height before ordering. There is a bit of variance between tables.

Edit: I had the Move Nav or similar in mind for the other hand. If you'd like enough width for a keyboard then I'd make a wooden table with a fixed leaf top. You might be able to buy one cheaply. Also, a longer piece of wood can be used if the arms clear your legs.
« Last Edit: 10:12 PM - 02/18/11 by Glooper »

Offline Dusk

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: TXS Dusk
« Reply #7 on: 10:19 PM - 02/18/11 »

Offline bushmaster2000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10:22 PM - 02/18/11 »
www.lapdawg.com has some cool stuff

Offline BaRaCudA

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11:40 PM - 02/18/11 »
X4 on lapdawg looks like a good option too. Thanks bushmaster.

Measurements would be just perfect for a G13 and a mouse pad. Only thing is it wouldn't have space to attach a xim3. I want to attach it to the board too.

Offline Incognito

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04:19 AM - 02/19/11 »
I'm currently using a LapGear Multi-Purpose Jumbo LapDesk with a Belkin n52te. Initially I was using a mousepad but I am actually liking the surface of the LapDesk more than a mousepad.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q893CK

I think eventually I might like something that has it's own support and is level and not sitting on my lap.

Offline JerryHatrick

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04:43 AM - 02/19/11 »
Anyone use one of these?
Looks like it has room for everything I need and can tilt etc. Concerned about quality .... at only $17.99

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20078234

I have 3 of these in my house they are perfectly usable, just dont lean on them too hard. They are ideal for my purposes..

Offline BaRaCudA

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12:10 AM - 02/21/11 »
I think my new issue is how wide I like to have my hands. I am playing from an armchair / recliner. I need at least 36" of space to comfortably use the arm rests. Yeah I know a 1' x 3' board would work but I want something a bit more classy. If anyone has a lap desk / over bed table that big can you share your setup? I see a lot of the small ones but I like to have my arms on the rests instead of inside them.

Offline chdude3

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07:39 AM - 02/21/11 »
I think my new issue is how wide I like to have my hands. I am playing from an armchair / recliner. I need at least 36" of space to comfortably use the arm rests. Yeah I know a 1' x 3' board would work but I want something a bit more classy. If anyone has a lap desk / over bed table that big can you share your setup? I see a lot of the small ones but I like to have my arms on the rests instead of inside them.
I think I'm in the same position.  I'm used to having my hands wide apart.  I'm temporarily playing on an 18" wide TV table and it's not NEAR enough space - although I've thought about pulling down a second one and having one for each hand.

So I could live with two smaller surfaces, just father apart, but I'm not sure the best way to go about this.  I've been tempted to just get a large flat surface and bolt it to the TV-tables.

Offline lappy32

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10:58 AM - 02/21/11 »
I don't have one, but looks like an interesting solution for gaming from a couch:

http://www.lapdawg.com/gallery/lap-desk/pages/lap-desk-3.html

Admin