XIM Community

XIM3 Impressions / Reviews ...  (Read 96448 times)

Offline mpod

• View Profile
Re: First Impressions...
« Reply #30 on: 04:34 AM - 02/10/11 »
We are looking at a special "joystick-mode" for the mouse for vehicles.
Great to hear!  After that can you also add a "bestow the user with the reaction time of a 13 year old" mode please? :)

After a (much too long) night of Reach, here are my gameplay impressions:

Right out of the box (before any tweaking) long-range aiming with the DMR was awesome.  There is no comparison in the steadiness and tracking-ability of the mouse versus the thumbstick.  I was able to headshot people from great range, and also track gunners in moving warthogs, etc.  Actually made Paradiso a little fun... though it would have been nice if the vehicles on the map didn't include the one-snot variety (banshee and scorpion).  I looked at ghosts and warthogs with pleasure.  Hemorrhage would have been much more fun I imagine.

My advantage versus other players went down as the distance closed between us.  And not surprisingly the assault rifle was another good equalizer.

Zoom toggling is incredibly fast when you're not limited by the stupid thumbstick click.  Like, near instantaneous.  I need to add much more quick zooming in and out to my gameplay now.  I might even move zoom to right click (if I even leave it on the mouse; it's currently on one of the side thumb buttons) and move grenades to a different button. 

Jumping is also wonderfully easy (I have it bound to the spacebar of my keyboard).  Too easy.  I've probably fallen to my death more tonight than in the past few months.  When you can turn, move backwards, and jump all at the same time it suddenly makes it all too easy to jump backwards off cliffs.  The Cage and the edge of Asylum were very hazardous to my health.

I feel like the vertical movement is slower than horizontal - if that's not my imagination I realize it's just the game mechanic.  I mostly notice this when running up ramps and trying to headshot someone above me (particularly at close range, like going up the ramp leading to the hallway outside the top of the lift room in Sword Base) - sometimes after a death I'll realize I was probably being too lazy to quickly aim enough vertically.  Makes me wonder if I should try leaving my vertical sensitivity on the G700 at 5700dpi and lower the horizontal some, and then bump up the XIM sensitivity.  Of course that might lead to too much vertical jitter in most situations.

I fear the G700 is probably not the mouse for me, but I should definitely give it more of a try.  My wrist is definitely a bit sore, plus I don't think most of the extra side / top left side buttons are that natural for me to press while keeping my index finger ready on left click.  But I'm also sure a lot of it is just muscle memory too.  It could also be my setup - using a lapdesk to my right on the couch to hold the mouse, and a keyboard in my lap.  I've been wondering how much better I might do, and how much better it might feel, if I were playing behind a desk instead.

All in all, an excellent first night - I generally feel like on average I performed close to my historical norm, maybe slightly better, which is not bad at all considering most of the button-bindings are far from second-nature for me yet.  Really I'm pretty much just using jump, zoom, armor ability, reload, and fire, with definite delays on melee (which I used to abuse the hell out, much to MLG gamers' hatred I'm sure), grenade swap, and grenade throw.   So I think I have a fair bit of room to improve, which is pretty exciting.  Now if only the XIM could magically alter my play style and game strategies (along with granting the above-requested teenage-reflexes). 
« Last Edit: 04:45 AM - 02/10/11 by mpod »

Offline Azurath89

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09:04 AM - 02/10/11 »
First Impression: EPICNESS
0:00 -  Omg its here

0:20 - Smells funny (Held it closer to my face to make sure it smelled funny...yup)

1:30 - After scrambling to hook up the xbox to my computer monitor. I realize I forgot to pre-buy a wired controller.

32:30 - Thank you baby jesus for making walmart 24/7. Hooked this baby up and booted BO.

34:50 - I was so excited to play with it that I didn't config anything other than choosing Black ops config, so I learned how to play the first 15 minutes using the defaults where shift was my croutch etc. Way better than a controller even before I configured it.

45:37 - (Having never played black ops multiplayer because I was saving it for XIM) I realize this games MP is somewhere between a polished turd and a regurgitated canoli. But I digress...

Overall impression Thus far: BEFORE setting any sensitivity or configuration It felt funny. AFTER setting my keys to what they would be when I play PC shooters, and setting the sensitivity to match, it felt flawless. (I've played with fragnstein on the ps3 and it comes nowhere close to the XIM3. No glitchy movements at all, we're talking 1:1 PC movements. I only got to play about 45 minutes on my final configuration before I had to sleep.

NOTE: You won't be dissapointed by this purchase, it feels like playing a computer game ONCE you set it properly. In ADDITION, do not be dissuaded by the "Iron-Sight/Scope" slowness, I thought it would always be like that until I actually read, and found out that you can have your Aim-Down-Sights key instantly change the sensitivity for sniping etc. I can't wait to get home tonight and change this so I can own.

BTW, does anyone else wiggle their gun around like you would on computer, hoping that someone spectacting will be like "Woah" thats not a controller?

Offline Elitimus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09:47 AM - 02/10/11 »
XIM3 Just arrived at my door.

Me: "YAY!!!!!"

Wife: "Well, your going to be useless today"

;D ;D ;D ;D

Will post impressions after I get some time on it later today.

Elitimus

Offline zsta2k7

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11:28 AM - 02/10/11 »
Also, is there anything behind my previous inquiry about maxing the stick out? Why isn't it registered the same when using low/high sensitivity?

The speed at which you turn when you up the sensitivity is the same because of the hard speed cap set by the game, however by increasing the sensitivity, you're lowering the amount of speed you need to move your mouse to reach that speed cap.

For example, with a sensitivity of 50, let's say it takes 20cm to do a 180, with the xim exactly at threshhold.  If you up the sensitivity to 100, and move your mouse at the same speed, it'll still take 20cm to do a 180.  However, if you move the mouse at half the speed, you'll still turn the same speed in game, and complete a 180 in 10cm.  The sensitivity on the XIM doesn't directly change how fast you move, rather it changes how fast you need to move the mouse to achieve maximum turning speed.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02:38 PM - 02/10/11 »
Thanks guys. Let's keep the feedback coming, and please if you have a comment on their feedback please post your comment in this thread:

http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=8860.0
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline BrianDee

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 03:15 PM - 02/10/11 »
WOW.   open the box, flash the new firmware,  map all my buttons (a little time consuming).   Black ops  first game of cap the flag  3 caps and 13-1 kill/death.   OMG that is pretty amazing considering I forgot to map the Dpad for equipment and killstreaks.    I need to mess with the mouse move sensitivity to get it tuned in for exactly how I like it but OMG once i map the Dpad and set my sensitivity better this is going to get insane.

IMG_0154 by brian8dee, on Flickr

Offline xavier_s37

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 03:39 PM - 02/10/11 »
can anyone here confirm that the XIM3 will not let you bind buttons the the Dpad on the N52TE??

Offline YouBcrazy

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: YouBcrazy
  • PSN ID: YouBcrazy
« Reply #37 on: 05:46 PM - 02/10/11 »
Quick first impression:

Ran home from work and flashed XIM3 to beta, hooked up G500/Nav and plugged in Halo Reach. Mapped a few buttons and jumped into a slayer game and took 1st place (less than 15 min.). That may not be much for some but I never play Halo its my kids game and i never practiced first with XIM3.

I bought XIM1 a few months ago and only play BFBC2 so I have to say "Way to go OB & team"!!!

I have another meeting tonight so not sure if ill get any more time tonight but will update how it works with BFBC2 on PS3/Xbox (GT adaptor), MW2 PS3/Xbox, BOPS, Left4dead and may even try MAG.

Looks like my PC and XIM will be put away.

Thanks again guys,

Happy customer

Offline Flamemonkey

• MVP
  • Nomnomnom?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: H3X AntiStyle
« Reply #38 on: 06:12 PM - 02/10/11 »
Overall a great device, however some things I'd like to point out:
My friend says he hears a whining noise when I speak. I'll have to look into it further, but this is the first time anyone has ever mentioned this to me.
2 -- n52te as a joystick. Bleh. Would love it as a keyboard instead.
3 -- Black Ops now has acceleration? Hrm? Weird. Might somehow be my mouse though, I'll have to test this.
4 -- Naga numpad doesn't work, but that's being worked on.
5 -- GUI could use some tweaks. It's very simple and nice, but it's missing some things -- When setting the sensitivities in the settings, it takes WAY too long to pick the right number, primarily because it's either going way to slow or way too fast. I would LOVE if I could like, hold Y to have it skip by .1 every dpad press. (Or hold Y to adjust by .01). Also, no quick way (That I can see) to see an overall keymap. On the Key config screen, maybe have holding Y pull up a screen that shows what's mapped to what? (Maybe pull up the pic of the Xbox controller with boxes with the keys over the buttons).
There's more, I just can't think of it right now. Will post more later.

The M on the cover is supposed to let you know you need to be mature.

Offline KO Poopstain

• GT: iNoScopedPoop
    • View Profile
    • Ewix
  • Gamertag: iNoScopedPoop
« Reply #39 on: 07:21 PM - 02/10/11 »
So i got my XIM3 today right before i had to come to work...i was like well this is going to be the longest day ever! btw im stil at work for another 2 hours. So i was checking on the shipping and saw it was going to be at my house by 3pm and had to be at work by 1pm. I was brusing my teeth and about to get in the shower when i heard a Dong. I thought it was my Blackberry test messege and thought nothing else. I got in the shower and got to thinking...Wait a minute my blackberry is in the kitchen and water was running so there is no way that was my blackberry! I thought...is that my doorbell?! Got really excited like a little school girl jumped out the shower and ran to the front door naked, and man it was cold out side, and there it was in all its beauty!. I opened it up driping on my hardwood floor and took a sniff! Man thats the best smell in the world! thanks OB and team. Those are my first impressions.

BTW i made it to work on time lol

Offline Jedimaster1

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Jedimasterone1
  • PSN ID: SithLord5577
« Reply #40 on: 07:28 PM - 02/10/11 »
Overall a great device, however some things I'd like to point out:
My friend says he hears a whining noise when I speak. I'll have to look into it further, but this is the first time anyone has ever mentioned this to me.
2 -- n52te as a joystick. Bleh. Would love it as a keyboard instead.
3 -- Black Ops now has acceleration? Hrm? Weird. Might somehow be my mouse though, I'll have to test this.
4 -- Naga numpad doesn't work, but that's being worked on.
5 -- GUI could use some tweaks. It's very simple and nice, but it's missing some things -- When setting the sensitivities in the settings, it takes WAY too long to pick the right number, primarily because it's either going way to slow or way too fast. I would LOVE if I could like, hold Y to have it skip by .1 every dpad press. (Or hold Y to adjust by .01). Also, no quick way (That I can see) to see an overall keymap. On the Key config screen, maybe have holding Y pull up a screen that shows what's mapped to what? (Maybe pull up the pic of the Xbox controller with boxes with the keys over the buttons).
There's more, I just can't think of it right now. Will post more later.
Yeah, I'd like the G13's stick to be used as a keyboard function like I use it for my pc as well. Makes it easier for myself to input commands quickly. For XIM 3 it is useless and I personally do not want to use it as a joystick. Too used to the WASD format to try.

Offline sundevil32

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 07:32 PM - 02/10/11 »
Gotta say so far I like it, having a bit of an issue because I have an intellimouse 3.0 with a 400 dpi, so ya pretty low and its kinda jerky because I have to have the sensitivity set so high. Ordered an Mx518 so looking forward to getting that mouse. Been a long while since I played on keyboard and mouse got pretty used to the game pad and pretty good with it. I was getting my @#$% kicked at first until I found the right sensitivity. Even though it is a bit jerky right now still doin pretty good. Definitly having fun with it though!

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: CoilTap
  • PSN ID: singlecoilpickup
« Reply #42 on: 08:22 PM - 02/10/11 »
Just got mine this afternoon. Using it with a G13 and a G700. It feels great! I love having the PC out of the mix from my XIM 1. I've been using it all evening on PS3 Black Ops. I haven't tried it on 360 yet. I'm still working on getting my sensitivity just right, but overall it's very snappy and responsive. I have no problems turning a full 180 with a flick of the mouse.

The other thing is configuration. This is ten times easier to configure than the XIM1 was. I love being able to change settings on the fly while in game. The configuration concept is spot on. I know it's probably coming in a future firmware, but the ability to map one Xbox button to multiple keys and/or mouse buttons would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks a ton for this awesome product!
Xbox One / PC
XIM Apex / Logitech G Pro Keyboard / Logitech G900
Astro MixAmp Pro TR / Sennheiser HD598 / Blue Yeti Mic

Offline Athl33t

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: xAthl33tx
« Reply #43 on: 09:43 PM - 02/10/11 »
So my first impression was.. hell yea keyboard and mouse!

scramblesd to get it together and update firmware ect.

Had troubles with input lag which made me think that the translation was good but still off a bit.

Hooked it to my PC monitor. O M G PERFECTION.

WIN.

All I can say is... If your a PC gamer who converted and your now using a controller.

Your doing it wrong

xim3 all day baby.

Offline nandox5

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 09:46 PM - 02/10/11 »
Can we use the analog stick as keybinds? or its exclusive for wasd movement? i always used the analog stick to map my D-pad keys. UP DOWN LEFT AND RIGHT, and am very used to this, would hate to have my keys changed to something else.. please someone verify thanks!