XIM Community

Sony Nav Alternatives  (Read 934 times)

Offline Cassidy

• View Profile
Sony Nav Alternatives
« on: 02:11 PM - 08/06/18 »
Can someone please list some of the Sony Nav alternatives that are compatible with the Apex?
The ones that I know of are the JoyCon and the Logitech G13 I believe. I've searched the through forums and haven't really been able to find any other lists of similar joy sticks.

Thanks

Offline PcSkeng

• View Profile
Re: Sony Nav Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: 02:22 PM - 08/06/18 »
Can someone please list some of the Sony Nav alternatives that are compatible with the Apex?
The ones that I know of are the JoyCon and the Logitech G13 I believe. I've searched the through forums and haven't really been able to find any other lists of similar joy sticks.

Thanks

There literally arenít any apart from the Seitvh Joycon which is like the size of my thumb and the sad failure Grifta Solo, could have been such a cool accessory but weíve spoke enough about this, doesnít look like weíre getting anything new anytime soon. The Sony Nav is trine though, would just be nice to have some more options.
| Xim Apex ~ Logitech G502 ~ Corsair K70 Lux RGB Cherry MX Brown ~ Sony Nav ~ SteelSeries Dex ~ Astro A40 TR + TR MixAmp ~ PlayStation 4 |

Offline Cassidy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:30 PM - 08/08/18 »
Anything else?

Offline M_A_D_20

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04:10 PM - 08/08/18 »
FragFX FragChuck

Offline PcSkeng

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07:22 AM - 08/09/18 »

Thanks

Actually I was wrong, there are a few but weíve came down to the Nav being the best out of all of them is why I forget.

The Venom X nunchuck which isnít aloud on the Xim ( doesnít work, maybe works with Xim Link )

FragChuck like the other guy said ( not sure how good this is, heard itís not supported by Xim as itís just like the venom x )

The Grifta Solo, which could have been amazing but thatís been spoken about enough
| Xim Apex ~ Logitech G502 ~ Corsair K70 Lux RGB Cherry MX Brown ~ Sony Nav ~ SteelSeries Dex ~ Astro A40 TR + TR MixAmp ~ PlayStation 4 |

Offline MRog40

• MVP
  • FPS games are 10% Aim and 90% positioning
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: MRog40
« Reply #5 on: 07:23 AM - 08/09/18 »
I know the FragFX chuck works with Link, and if the VenomX can connect to PC, it also will work. It isn't cheap though.
Xim Apex | PS4 | PC | G502 | Corsair K65 LUX RGB | C24FG70 | Astro A40 TR | QcK XXL

Offline MRog40

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08:36 AM - 08/09/18 »
If I can get ~5-8 people interested enough, I've been thinking about making my own nunchuck controller for weeks. I have the ability to make them, with access to 3d printers, soldering, and programming.

I would make the body the exact shape of the left half of an XBox 360 controller, and have the joystick, D-Pad, and 4-6 other buttons. If I can buy broken controllers, I'll try to make the trigger work as well, otherwise I'll replace it with a simple button.

I'd use the Arduino Pro-Micro as my HID controller.

The issue is, they'd each cost at least $25 shipped, but probably more like $30, and they would take me at least a few weeks to design, build, and send all of them out.

I'm guessing I would work with OBsIV to get the ATMega32u4 USB HID working with Xim, if it doesn't already.
Xim Apex | PS4 | PC | G502 | Corsair K65 LUX RGB | C24FG70 | Astro A40 TR | QcK XXL

Offline M_A_D_20

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10:32 AM - 08/09/18 »
FragFx FragChuck link where xim users reported this to be working.

[urlhttps://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=63243.0][/url]

This is expensive compared to a the Sony Nav but looks to have an extra button up front and a better positioned d-pad.

I have used the Sony Nav alot and unless your playing something like Tomb Raider or Destiny raids with jumping puzzles etc which is relaxing and easy to play then you have to rely on too much button bashing on your overloaded mouse which really takes it's purpose away and compromises aim when it comes to competitive play (not to mention your fingers will be off 'Aim/Fire' if clicking mouse wheel left and right)

When you buy a mouse with Eg. pixart 3366, you buy it for the best aiming precision possible and there is so much unbalanced play with this setup though you might not notice it, especially if you haven't played with a keyboard.

How nunchucks are at the moment (no buttons/paddles on back) they are not really worth the FragFX FragChuck price..

This is a preference in do you value your movement more Vs do you value your aiming more (and to be honest keyboards even do strafing better) or maybe you might just value the sofa more  ;)

Thought I just put that out there for anyone thinking about Sony Nav type peripherals.

Offline chad20

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10:32 AM - 08/09/18 »
If I can get ~5-8 people interested enough, I've been thinking about making my own nunchuck controller for weeks. I have the ability to make them, with access to 3d printers, soldering, and programming.

I would make the body the exact shape of the left half of an XBox 360 controller, and have the joystick, D-Pad, and 4-6 other buttons. If I can buy broken controllers, I'll try to make the trigger work as well, otherwise I'll replace it with a simple button.

The issue is, they'd each cost at least $25 shipped, but probably more like $30, and they would take me at least a few weeks to design, build, and send all of them out.

I'm guessing I would work with OBsIV to get the ATMega32u4 USB HID working with Xim, if it doesn't already.

I will buy one.

Offline MRog40

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11:01 AM - 08/09/18 »
How nunchucks are at the moment (no buttons/paddles on back) they are not really worth the FragFX FragChuck price..
When I said 4-6 buttons, I mean 2 "trigger" buttons (or triggers if possible, but probably just buttons), and 2-4 buttons on the back for middle finger/ring finger to press. Whatever seems comfortable/possible

The only buttons on the front will be the joystick and D-Pad, which are non-crucial buttons imo.

Offline M_A_D_20

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11:17 AM - 08/09/18 »
When I said 4-6 buttons, I mean 2 "trigger" buttons (or triggers if possible, but probably just buttons), and 2-4 buttons on the back for middle finger/ring finger to press. Whatever seems comfortable/possible

The only buttons on the front will be the joystick and D-Pad, which are non-crucial buttons imo.

Sorry, it wasn't a response to your post or project, just my thoughts about nunchucks in general.

Offline M_A_D_20

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11:51 AM - 08/09/18 »
But if you was to make a nunchuck that had buttons located on the back then it would be the one to have  ;) having to take your thumb of the analog to press other buttons is a disaster of a design. Even the grifta, though I would get this over everything else, it still has a problem which is taking your thumb of the analog to press the buttons underneath the analog or having to hold the analog left to reach the thumb buttons with your thumb joint (if possible?)

The division comes to mind where there was so many actions that even having g502 was a problem and I ended up having reload on the Sony Nav 'X' button which my thumb joint could use if I pulled the analog to the left.
Also the D-pad played a big part with this game with consumables/nades. 'Hold' D-pad for a wheel selection or tap d-pad for medkit. This obviously was a problem when coming against keyboard users which could utilize all this without having to stop and start. This is normal for controller players but with Sony Nav the design for being able to use the d-pad was horrible.

Though there is not many games that have such a layout as The Division that I've played, this was one game that was difficult for nunchucks.

Definitely good and not so good points for nunchucks so I don't mean to say nunchucks are not good, I guess its all preference but just a personal view and experience from the combo

Offline matthewk85

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: o MattyAu o
« Reply #12 on: 06:58 PM - 08/09/18 »

Would love to see a concept design. Definitely something I would be interested in, but am an Aussie, so shipping would a pain.

Offline sean1

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: a sittingduck73
  • PSN ID: A-sittingduck
« Reply #13 on: 10:21 PM - 08/09/18 »

You have my interest would love to see what you have in mind, and all depends on if you can deliver to the UK

Offline Edawsiwel

• Teacher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12:57 AM - 08/10/18 »

I am interested.
TEACHER

Itís a poor craftsman who blames his tools

A lion will never tell you he is a lion

It takes all sorts to make a world