XIM Community

K95 platinum setup question  (Read 132 times)

Offline Fox McCloud

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Sir Fox McCloud
K95 platinum setup question
« on: 05:32 PM - 07/08/18 »
So I just purchased a k95 platinum (PSA - they're on sale on Amazon) and I have a question.

As I understand it, the k95 platinum draws quite a bit of power and I'm concerned that the default apex hub will not have enough power. As I understand it, there is an option to insert a power adapter into the back of the apex. I saw on the forums that someone posted the specs of the power supply,  but I ran a search and can't seem to find the info.
Any one want to help a brother out?

Thanks
XIM APEX | XIM LINK | XBOX One S | Corsair K95 Platinum (Cherry Mx Speeds) | Logitech G502 (4K DPI & 1K Hz) | Asus 24" (VG245H) | Destiny 2

Offline MRog40

• MVP
  • FPS games are 10% Aim and 90% positioning
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: MRog40
Re: K95 platinum setup question
« Reply #1 on: 11:01 AM - 07/09/18 »
You could turn off the lights so it draws less power.

If the K95 has two USB cables, I think one might power the lights while the other handles data. Not sure but I remember reading that somewhere, so you could plug the lights power one in elsewhere.
Xim Apex | PS4 | PC | G502 | Corsair K65 LUX RGB | C24FG70 | Astro A40 TR | QcK XXL

Offline Fox McCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06:13 AM - 07/10/18 »
Thanks for the reply. I am back from vacation  8) and will check it out tonight. I just wanted to order a power supply if I was going to need one. We'll see.
XIM APEX | XIM LINK | XBOX One S | Corsair K95 Platinum (Cherry Mx Speeds) | Logitech G502 (4K DPI & 1K Hz) | Asus 24" (VG245H) | Destiny 2

Offline Fox McCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07:43 AM - 07/11/18 »
UPDATE:

The k95 platinum indeed has 2 usb plugs. However one is for the keyboard and the other is for the USB passthough. I use LINK and just plugged the keyboard into the USB hub coming off my PC. Voila no power issues. Would have to get a power supply for the default apex hub or use a different (powered) USB hub instead.

I didn't think I would notice much of a difference between the Tartarus "mecha-membrane" keys  and the mechanical cherry mx speeds. Boy was I wrong. Even playing a game with super-sluggish movement like D2 I feel so much quicker while strafing. I now uderstand the fuss over mechanical keyboards.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09:02 AM - 07/11/18 »
That's too bad that the second cable doesn't provide additional power. If you're needing more power then any USB 2.0 powered hub should work or if you would like to add a power adapter to XIMs hub the spec is: APEX supports power adapters using the spec below and can be found on amazon or ebay.

5V 3A power adapter  ([3.5mm x 1.35mm], center-positive)
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline Fox McCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02:50 PM - 07/11/18 »
That's too bad that the second cable doesn't provide additional power. If you're needing more power then any USB 2.0 powered hub should work or if you would like to add a power adapter to XIMs hub the spec is: APEX supports power adapters using the spec below and can be found on amazon or ebay.

5V 3A power adapter  ([3.5mm x 1.35mm], center-positive)

AHH I knew I had seen that posted somewhere on here before but I could not find it. With my current setup I have no limitations, but if I encounter any issues in the future I will be sure to use that adapter. Thank you!