XIM Community

Xim Apex USB Switch?  (Read 270 times)

Offline crunkz0r

• View Profile
Xim Apex USB Switch?
« on: 07:13 PM - 05/29/18 »
Hi All,

I am looking to get the Xim Apex and wondering if anyone has successfully got this to work with a usb switch.

I am wanting to connect my keyboard, mouse and gaming headset to the switch and connect to the ps4 and PC with the switch.

Any help would be highly appreciated. 

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Xim Apex USB Switch?
« Reply #1 on: 10:48 PM - 05/29/18 »
Yes, you can use a USB switch. M & kb into switch, switch into Apex USB hub. Controller must remain on Apex hub.

Offline crunkz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12:04 AM - 05/30/18 »
Thanks for the reply!

That is great news, will the apex hub pick up a single USB cable coming from the 4 port switch?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:09 AM - 05/30/18 »
Yes. A switch is just a hub with multiple outputs.

For reference, IOGear, Aten, Ugreen and Sabrent USB switches are confirmed working. I use 3 in my setup without issue.

Offline crunkz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:55 AM - 05/30/18 »
OK awesome!

3 hubs? Would you be able to explain your whole set up at all? It sounds amazing  ;D ;D ;D

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:37 AM - 05/30/18 »
1. Sabrent 1-port USB Switch to share kb between Titan Two and IOGear GUS404 #1
2. IOGear GUS404 #1 to share mouse & kb between PC, Mac and Xim
3. IOGear GUS404 #2 to share Xim, Titan Two & flash drives between PS3, PS4, 360 & XB1

Basically, I can swap the mouse & kb between the computers, Xim & Titan Two, and the Xim between consoles.

Sometimes I want the kb directly attached to the T2 for some scripts, for others I use Fragpedals instead and have the kb in the Xim.

Both GUS404 switches are powered via a 5V USB port running to a wall charger for supplementary power to keep the electrons flowing.

It gets more complex with HDMI and TOSlink matrices for audio, video, capture cards, headphones & speakers. It's a fun setup with everything interconnected and accessible within a couple of button presses.

Offline ceebs

• MVP
  • Captain_Minxley
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
« Reply #6 on: 03:38 AM - 05/30/18 »
1. Sabrent 1-port USB Switch to share kb between Titan Two and IOGear GUS404 #1
2. IOGear GUS404 #1 to share mouse & kb between PC, Mac and Xim
3. IOGear GUS404 #2 to share Xim, Titan Two & flash drives between PS3, PS4, 360 & XB1

Basically, I can swap the mouse & kb between the computers, Xim & Titan Two, and the Xim between consoles. Sometimes I want the kb directly attached to the T2 for some scripts, for others I use Fragpedals instead and have the kb in the Xim.

It gets more complex with HDMI and TOSlink matrices for audio, video, capture cards, headphones & speakers. It's a fun setup with everything interconnected and accessible within a couple of button presses.
And I'm still interested to see a photo of it all... :)
Where's Half-Life 3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, CM Swift-RX XL, Audio Technica ATH AD700, MixAmp Pro, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Intel Core i5 4690k@4.2GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX780, 16gb G-Skill RipjawsX@2000MHz, XFX ProSeries (Black Edition) 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 3xSamsung Evo 500 SSD, WD 1TB HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables.

And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:51 AM - 05/30/18 »
That's just my setup...and not all of it.

I've spent the last few months converting it into a streaming setup, hence the surprisingly cheap PC upgrade as the last piece of the puzzle. I was going to stream the consoles via the Mac and it is viable, but Streamlabs OBS is PC only and has the software edge.

There are two more multi-console setups in the house. One for motion control in the living room, the other for the kids downstairs.

All will be revealed in due time ;)

Offline crunkz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04:52 AM - 05/30/18 »
Alright, i think i have it.

I don't think mine will be as extensive as yours. But can you confirm if the below picture I very poorly mocked up will work just fine?

https://imgur.com/a/BZAs1Fw

I really appreciate all the help  :) :) :)

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05:04 AM - 05/30/18 »
I don't think your headset will work through the Apex, but give it a try. You may want a second switch for that direct from PC to Xim.

Offline crunkz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05:13 AM - 05/30/18 »
I see, What about this?

https://imgur.com/a/KF0uj41

From what I understand. The apex will pick up the keyboard and mouse and the other usb running directly to the PS4 will pick up the headset?

Offline crunkz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05:22 AM - 05/30/18 »

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06:42 AM - 05/30/18 »
or this?

https://imgur.com/a/i7TYMBU
That'll work, but note that only one cable goes from the USB switch to the Apex. Each output cable shares all devices connected to the switch.

If you're only connecting two devices (m/kb) to the Apex, a GUS402 will do the job. Also, IOGear is rebranded as Aten in some regions. The model numbers are US424 and US224.

Offline ceebs

• MVP
  • Captain_Minxley
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
« Reply #13 on: 08:12 AM - 05/30/18 »
That's just my setup...and not all of it.

I've spent the last few months converting it into a streaming setup, hence the surprisingly cheap PC upgrade as the last piece of the puzzle. I was going to stream the consoles via the Mac and it is viable, but Streamlabs OBS is PC only and has the software edge.

There are two more multi-console setups in the house. One for motion control in the living room, the other for the kids downstairs.

All will be revealed in due time ;)
Excellent. Sounds as though you'll need to post more that one photo. ;)
Looking forward to seeing it.
Where's Half-Life 3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, CM Swift-RX XL, Audio Technica ATH AD700, MixAmp Pro, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Intel Core i5 4690k@4.2GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX780, 16gb G-Skill RipjawsX@2000MHz, XFX ProSeries (Black Edition) 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 3xSamsung Evo 500 SSD, WD 1TB HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables.

And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline crunkz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02:00 PM - 05/30/18 »
or this?

https://imgur.com/a/i7TYMBU
That'll work, but note that only one cable goes from the USB switch to the Apex. Each output cable shares all devices connected to the switch.

If you're only connecting two devices (m/kb) to the Apex, a GUS402 will do the job. Also, IOGear is rebranded as Aten in some regions. The model numbers are US424 and US224.

Awesome! thanks for all your help. ;D ;D ;D